Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at the website (i'm a current offer-holder), but I couldn't find answers to some of my questions:

When should I hear something about accommodation (I firmed my offer 2 months ago)?

Do you get to choose a hall?

If so, on what grounds should you decide?

Help/advice really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    What I know is that you get an email in May explaining it all really! I think you choose your room according to price band and I know there is a special requirements section (was mentioned a while back).

Also, can I know what course you firmed for so I can add you to the firmers' list (in my thread)

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I'm currently a fresher at Imperial (hence went through this craze this time last year!)

Like what's been said, you'll get an email around the end of May letting you know that accommodation application is open online - MAKE SURE YOU RECEIVED IT!
    Sometimes the accommodation office can strangely miss people out (I was one of the unfortunates who didn't receive the email year and I nearly missed out on a place @[email protected]).
    So if they haven't sent you an email by the beginning of June about it, chase the accommdoation office about it!

Okay, once you get the email, follow the instruction online about selecting accommodation.
    You will be asked to specific certain preferences (e.g. prefer to sleep before/after 11pm; smoker or not, and etc), as well as hobbies, languages you speak.
    ...and then the next page you'll be given five options to choose your top five preferred accommodations, as well as whether you'd like to go for single/double/triple rooms.
    Additional to that, you'll get to select for a preference of prioritising cost and room type.

I'd advise you to have a little look at the available student accommodations online now to get a feel of where you want to live in.
    Just some tips:
    If cost is you main concern/priority, makle sure you select the option of "cost", and don't go for too many "expensive halls" (e.g. Eastside/southside, Orient House).
    If being close to campus is on the other hand your priority, make sure you don't go for all single rooms (and also "sleep before 11pm). I'm not saying always, but it's most likely that you'll get put into somewhere like Orient House, which is 40min away from the S.Ken campus!

Also, make sure you apply before the given deadline if you can(which is around the end of July), otherwise you might not get your preferred accommodation.
    (There's still a slight chance of getting one of your preferred though! e.g. in my case, I applied late and somehow miraculously I got my first preferred! =D).

I hope this helps~
    Don't stress out about it, just look through the accommodation website casually to find some that you llike. =]

Good luck with the studies and hope to see some of you here this coming academic year! =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    Hey there,

I'm currently a fresher at Imperial (hence went through this craze this time last year!)

Like what's been said, you'll get an email around the end of May letting you know that accommodation application is open online - MAKE SURE YOU RECEIVED IT!
    Sometimes the accommodation office can strangely miss people out (I was one of the unfortunates who didn't receive the email year and I nearly missed out on a place @[email protected]).
    So if they haven't sent you an email by the beginning of June about it, chase the accommdoation office about it!

Okay, once you get the email, follow the instruction online about selecting accommodation.
    You will be asked to specific certain preferences (e.g. prefer to sleep before/after 11pm; smoker or not, and etc), as well as hobbies, languages you speak.
    ...and then the next page you'll be given five options to choose your top five preferred accommodations, as well as whether you'd like to go for single/double/triple rooms.
    Additional to that, you'll get to select for a preference of prioritising cost and room type.

I'd advise you to have a little look at the available student accommodations online now to get a feel of where you want to live in.
    Just some tips:
    If cost is you main concern/priority, makle sure you select the option of "cost", and don't go for too many "expensive halls" (e.g. Eastside/southside, Orient House).
    If being close to campus is on the other hand your priority, make sure you don't go for all single rooms (and also "sleep before 11pm). I'm not saying always, but it's most likely that you'll get put into somewhere like Orient House, which is 40min away from the S.Ken campus!

Also, make sure you apply before the given deadline if you can(which is around the end of July), otherwise you might not get your preferred accommodation.
    (There's still a slight chance of getting one of your preferred though! e.g. in my case, I applied late and somehow miraculously I got my first preferred! =D).

I hope this helps~
    Don't stress out about it, just look through the accommodation website casually to find some that you llike. =]

Good luck with the studies and hope to see some of you here this coming academic year! =D
    This is really useful so thanks for that! :yep: + rep

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.