Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's rude on their behalf.
    But I'm Arab and sometimes when I'm discussing a personal matter with a friend and there's a foreigner around, I usually say it in my native language. E.g: one time my friend and I were hanging out with this american guy, and her dress was.. umm... "wedgied" so I just told her "andek gamta"="you've got a wedgie" so as to not embarrass her in public. He asked what I was saying and I said I was asking her for chapstick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    How do you know they were Muslim :facepalm: Why is that even relevant. **** sakes.
    Why is everybody saying this? It is ridiculous. The OP is obviously just giving a little more information and with more information we are in a better position to answer the question. I agree it isn't the most relevant bit of information but how long before you can't say 'I was talking to this teenage girl in town' without everybody saying 'why is it even relevant that she is a girl? Her gender was nothing to do with the fact she was talking to you that is sexism' or 'Why is her age relevant? Old people can talk as well you know'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    Why is everybody saying this? It is ridiculous. The OP is obviously just giving a little more information and with more information we are in a better position to answer the question. I agree it isn't the most relevant bit of information but how long before you can't say 'I was talking to this teenage girl in town' without everybody saying 'why is it even relevant that she is a girl? Her gender was nothing to do with the fact she was talking to you that is sexism' or 'Why is her age relevant? Old people can talk as well you know'.
    Because it attracts stupid and offensive comments to something personal like religion - dont believe me? Look at the first ****ing comment.

There was no need to mention somebody's RELIGION and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    Very rude on their part, given that they are (I assume) in the UK but that's just the way people roll.

ReputationRep:
    Because it attracts stupid and offensive comments to something personal like religion - dont believe me? Look at the first ****ing comment.

I don't think it was meant in a vindictive way. The easiest way to describe someone who is from the Middle East is 'Muslim'.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's rude and they are morons for pulling the race card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I don't think it was meant in a vindictive way. The easiest way to describe someone who is from the Middle East is 'Muslim'.
    ..or Middle East :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    ..or Middle East :lolwut:
    Sorry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Sorry?
    The easiest way to describe someone from the Middle East...is referring to them as Middle Eastern - thats it, why does their religious beliefs need to be mentioned? There are more Muslims in Asia - Pakistan, Indonesia, India etc.. than in the middle east. And I dont care if OP was or was not being vindictive, people have used it vindictively as you can see.

ReputationRep:
    The easiest way to describe someone from the Middle East...is referring to them as Middle Eastern - thats it, why does their religious beliefs need to be mentioned? There are more Muslims in Asia - Pakistan, Indonesia, India etc.. than in the middle east. And I dont care if OP was or was not being vindictive, people have used it vindictively as you can see.
    Yes, there are more appropriate ways. But I think the easiest way for the majority is 'Muslim' and most of the time, it isn't vindictive. If people make a judgement based on their religion, then yes, that is wrong, but I don't think the OP is doing that. Other people in this thread are, I admit.

ReputationRep:

The first comment is offensive but what the OP said is not. You can say the person is a woman, young, wears a red dress, has blond hair, is a muslim, talks in an Austrailian accent, drives a corsa, has blue eyes etc it is not not offensive at all it is just stating facts. It only becomes offensive if you add in insults, such as the bacon thing. As I said above, I agree using minimal information it probably is not neccasary but adding in extra information should not be taken offensively.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it was rude of them. Especially if they were making it look like they were talking about you.
    I'd have been tempted to do what you did, but I wouldn't have the guts! You definitely weren't being racist.

ReputationRep:
    I hate how religion is such a big deal? and can be brought into, or thrust upon any debate or opinion of another. if your religous thats cool, good for you and i'm pretty sure me nor anyone else has a problem with it, but i dont really want to hear about it.

In that situation I would have done the same thing, ask them what they were talking about. in my opinion they were being racist towards you. but no matter what, racism towards a white person tends to be overlooked

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.