Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Women martial artist vs Men watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum828)
    Pressure point strikes are BS.

And it's harder than you think to kick a trained fighter in the balls.
    The point is the big guy isn't a trained fighter.

ReputationRep:
    The Israeli Army actually tested this. They got their most trained (in unarmed combat) female soldiers to go against ordinary civilian men. They found that, at best, the women could hold off the men.

Basically, size DOES make a huge difference, except in fiction.
    It appears the people of TSR have been watching too many Jackie Chan movies :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I used to do martial arts.

There is a reason that men and women who are of the same weight do not compete with each other. They wouldn't win a single thing. Yet if I were to say that men are stronger than women I would be a sexist. However this system is basically saying that.

Don't hear women complaining about that sexism do you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arenas123)

There is a reason that men and women who are of the same weight do not compete with each other. They wouldn't win a single thing. Yet if I were to say that men are stronger than women I would be a sexist. However this system is basically saying that.

Men are stronger than women on average. Something of the magnitude of 50% stronger in fact. That's not sexism, its science.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing heaps of context here.

What are we discussing? Are Hollywood fights realistic? No.

Could a small professionally trained female fighter beat a much larger male with or without training? Maybe.

Would she get pummelled regardless of her training and experience? Maybe.

There's no way to know and all this crap about UFC and martial arts in real world terms is pure fantasy, real fights are usually over in 3 or 4 hits and the person who initiates the fight will usually get the first hit and by extension win. You always get these morons posing and talking about "we'll if you did that then I'd do this" like they're playing pokemon but the reality is you can not prepare for turning a street corner and having someone nut you in the face.

ReputationRep:

I thought the OP was talking about one trained female fighter and a bigger but untrained male fighter, what has this got to do with the normal training session?

As for the bit in bold, who would call you a sexist?

ReputationRep:
    Neck, balls and solar plexus (w.e it is)

-Use elbows and the curve in your head
    -your knees
    -learn how to lock a persons arms
    - learn how to smash a wrist
    -learn how to use their own weight against them
    -Learn to use your own body weight
    -Most importantly, have the mentality to hurt somebody bad, so bad that they will not be out of hospital for more than 5 months.

No matter who you are, you have weaknesses. Big guys are slow, they're a bigger target and they think "rawr me smash!" principles will work 24/7

Women have the luxury of being women, if one was to try and seriously injure me I will do my best to put her down as fast as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I thought the OP was talking about one trained female fighter and a bigger but untrained male fighter, what has this got to do with the normal training session?

As for the bit in bold, who would call you a sexist?
    I've been called sexist once for saying that.

I've also been called sexist for asking for 3 men to move for a massive piece of timber. I picked 3 of the biggest and strongest men so it should of been apparent why I was doing it. Even after seeing how much the 4 of us struggled to move it I still got feminazid (oxford dictionary get on that word).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wozzie)
    You're missing heaps of context here.

What are we discussing? Are Hollywood fights realistic? No.

Could a small professionally trained female fighter beat a much larger male with or without training? Maybe.

Would she get pummelled regardless of her training and experience? Maybe.

There's no way to know and all this crap about UFC and martial arts in real world terms is pure fantasy, real fights are usually over in 3 or 4 hits and the person who initiates the fight will usually get the first hit and by extension win. You always get these morons posing and talking about "we'll if you did that then I'd do this" like they're playing pokemon but the reality is you can not prepare for turning a street corner and having someone nut you in the face.

This is my problem with martial arts. They increase your ability to fight by about 5% and your assessment of your own ability to fight by about 500%. A drunken brawl outside a pub is not even remotely comparable to the controlled environment of a sparring gym.

ReputationRep:
    I've been called sexist once for saying that.

I've also been called sexist for asking for 3 men to move for a massive piece of timber. I picked 3 of the biggest and strongest men so it should of been apparent why I was doing it. Even after seeing how much the 4 of us struggled to move it I still got feminazid (oxford dictionary get on that word).
    Hang out with people who aren't idiots?

ReputationRep:
    Pressure point strikes are BS.

And it's harder than you think to kick a trained fighter in the balls.
    I know exactly how hard pressure point strikes are to pull off.
    That's why I mentioned the other parts to do with her level of skill, as well as if her opponent is a trained fighter as well.

If she is going up against a trained fighter who is larger than her then she'll most likely go down. If it's against a male fighter the same size, then the odds are more into her favour. But chances are she'll lose against the trained fighter. An untrained dude at the same size doesn't have much of a chance.

(Original post by py0alb)
    yes
    no, they're squaring up
    she's good, but she's small as defined in the OP
    information not available
    yes, shes clearly wearing a dressing gown
    hes an international rugby player, so probably pretty good. its not will ferrell

99.9 times out of 100, he wins. it probably doesn't take long. here's what would go down:
    she tries to kick him and just hurts her foot. he doesn't flinch
    he grabs at her a few times, she ducks.
    she punches him and hurts her hand. he wipes his nose
    he finally manages to grab her, lifts her up and throws her on the floor.
    she doesn't get up.
    I'm not buying the fact that just because he's a rugby player, that means he's a good fighter. She'll most likely have greater fighting experience than him as that what she trains in, whereas he trains in rugby, which as far as I know doesn't incorporate fighting into it's training.

I'm not saying that she'll beat him every time, but I'll give her the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Hang out with people who aren't idiots?
    Never said I hung out with them did I ? They were working on the same volunteer team as me. I didn't choose the team. I was leader of the team despite everyone else being at least 6 years older than me which didn't help things either.

Trust me if it was possible to find a way to never encounter idiots I would take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    I know exactly how hard pressure point strikes are to pull off.
    That's why I mentioned the other parts to do with her level of skill, as well as if her opponent is a trained fighter as well.

If she is going up against a trained fighter who is larger than her then she'll most likely go down. If it's against a male fighter the same size, then the odds are more into her favour. But chances are she'll lose against the trained fighter. An untrained dude at the same size doesn't have much of a chance.

I'm not buying the fact that just because he's a rugby player, that means he's a good fighter. She'll most likely have greater fighting experience than him as that what she trains in, whereas he trains in rugby, which as far as I know doesn't incorporate fighting into it's training.

I'm not saying that she'll beat him every time, but I'll give her the majority.
    You're making the extremely common mistake that most martial arts fans make, which is to assume that the default level of fighting ability amongst the "untrained" populace is way lower than it really is, like we're all some kind of incompetent batman villain.

Most sporty young men can actually fight reasonably handily without any kind of training whatsoever. It's not like its rocket science.

How exactly do you see her beating him? I'm genuinely curious to know. He has reach, strength, height and weight advantage. The moment she moves close enough to make contact with him, he will be able to grab her and the fight will effectively be over. Telekinesis perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    Neck, balls and solar plexus (w.e it is)

-Use elbows and the curve in your head
    -your knees
    -learn how to lock a persons arms
    - learn how to smash a wrist
    -learn how to use their own weight against them
    -Learn to use your own body weight
    -Most importantly, have the mentality to hurt somebody bad, so bad that they will not be out of hospital for more than 5 months.

No matter who you are, you have weaknesses. Big guys are slow, they're a bigger target and they think "rawr me smash!" principles will work 24/7

Women have the luxury of being women, if one was to try and seriously injure me I will do my best to put her down as fast as possible.
    Dude, big guys are not all lumbering oafs.

And the 'tactics' you describe suggest that you've never actually trained any effective martial arts at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Basic physics will tell you that she simply doesn't have the body mass to be able to break his leg even if he very obligingly lay down and let her jump up and down on it for a bit.

On the other hand, if he swings for her, she can try and block it but her wrist would simply snap back moments before his fist rearranges her jaw and puts her out for the count. There's only so many times you can duck before he got hold of her and then its game over.
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again. "

God knows what I rep'd you for before, but yeah, I approve your sensible sayings and what not.

ReputationRep:
    Do martial artists not use the size and power of their opponent against them? He could charge her with immense power or attempt a huge punch, she could nimbly sidestep and then direct his charge/punch into a wall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Professional, womens MMA fighter would beat any man who has no fight training, with the possible exception of a huge rugby player or something.

But yes, got 140lb fighters will beat anyone of any size without any fight training. Look up UFC 1.
    A 140lb man has more muscle as a % than a 140lb woman.

Just something to bear in mind, especially when we're talking about Royce Gracie and the early UFCs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nathan2010)
    Do martial artists not use the size and power of their opponent against them? He could charge her with immense power or attempt a huge punch, she could nimbly sidestep and then direct his charge/punch into a wall
    I swear to God I will murder whoever started that whole 'well we use our opponents strength against them' shtick.

EVERY sport (not just the fighty ones) does this. it's not a magical panacea, and it will not make a tiny person beat a huge person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    I don't get the reference to UFC. Does UFC not have weight classes?
    What would a 140lb fighter do to stop a bigger guy simply using his pure strength to bear hug or choke him/her into submission?
    main easily accessable weak spots on a human male

eyes
    nose
    throat
    sternum
    balls
    knees
    ankles

takes no great strength to damage and each one a deliberating move that will stop a grown man (even the big ones)

yes its perfectly possible

A 140lb man has more muscle as a % than a 140lb woman.

Just something to bear in mind, especially when we're talking about Royce Gracie and the early UFCs.
    means absolutely nothing to someone who knows they are doing, more muscle does not eqate to better fighter, something "meat head body builders" as a rule tend to forget

ReputationRep:
    At what stage does muscle start working against you? Do you reckon Jackie Chan would have a better chance against a rugby player or a body builder?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.