Turn on thread page Beta

Women martial artist vs Men watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    This is my problem with martial arts. They increase your ability to fight by about 5% and your assessment of your own ability to fight by about 500%. A drunken brawl outside a pub is not even remotely comparable to the controlled environment of a sparring gym.
    You are right about that part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol tae kwon do, joke martial art, get them against a boxer and see what happens
    Boxings a sport. Its not even designed for street fighting. Although i have to agree, alot of TKD is crap, kicking above the waist, especially against a trained martial artist, is rarely a good idea. Besides, alot of the fancy moves of TKD are less effective and more prone to failure (leaving yourself open, missing etc) than for example the simple to the point moves of other martial arts like Krav Maga and Systema.

Someone said something about Kung Fu being useless, but like any martial art it has its strength. The form i train in, for example, builds your speed and trains you to use an opponents force against them like in parrying. Wing chun's a good example of this as its designed for women martial artists and therefore takes into account a less strength, height, weight.

People saying their martial art is the best is complete and utter bull**** though. No one martial art can be the best because each martial art has its strengths and weaknesses. A good practitioner will take the strengths from as many disciplines as he can, and remove as many weaknesses as he can. It doesnt matter that a pure grappler can beat a pure striker, train in both and you are good for all situations. Isnt that what training martial arts for self defense is about?

As for boxing being the best martial art ever, it isnt. Yes, boxers are great strikers, but what if they're taken to the floor? Believe it or not, its extremely easy for a fight to end on the ground. Think about a boxing match, how many times do they end up in a clinch? From there its easy to take someone to the ground, especially boxers who dont train against it. Like I said before, a martial arts are useless if they arnt trained to cover all aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie2)
    Boxings a sport. Its not even designed for street fighting. Although i have to agree, alot of TKD is crap, kicking above the waist, especially against a trained martial artist, is rarely a good idea. Besides, alot of the fancy moves of TKD are less effective and more prone to failure (leaving yourself open, missing etc) than for example the simple to the point moves of other martial arts like Krav Maga and Systema.

Someone said something about Kung Fu being useless, but like any martial art it has its strength. The form i train in, for example, builds your speed and trains you to use an opponents force against them like in parrying. Wing chun's a good example of this as its designed for women martial artists and therefore takes into account a less strength, height, weight.

People saying their martial art is the best is complete and utter bull**** though. No one martial art can be the best because each martial art has its strengths and weaknesses. A good practitioner will take the strengths from as many disciplines as he can, and remove as many weaknesses as he can. It doesnt matter that a pure grappler can beat a pure striker, train in both and you are good for all situations. Isnt that what training martial arts for self defense is about?

As for boxing being the best martial art ever, it isnt. Yes, boxers are great strikers, but what if they're taken to the floor? Believe it or not, its extremely easy for a fight to end on the ground. Think about a boxing match, how many times do they end up in a clinch? From there its easy to take someone to the ground, especially boxers who dont train against it. Like I said before, a martial arts are useless if they arnt trained to cover all aspects.
    Let me link you to my other posts in this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=48

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3&postcount=71

kthxbi

ReputationRep:
    ok here's my 2 cents for what it's worth:

I think it depends entirely on the level of martial art reached by the lady and the disciplines she's been taught in. If she is at a moderate level in most martial arts, I would expect the man-mountain to win regardless. However, if the lady has years of experience, if at the level of a professional and has cross trained, I would think it more likely that she would win.

The reason is all to do with speed. Yes the power is important, and the fact is there is a huge gulf in power between the man-mountain and the lady. Moreover, there will be parts of the man mountain's physique which simply will be unaffected by any attack from the lady. This is where the level of mastery reached comes in, if she knows where to hit and is fast enough to tag these areas, the fight is over.

Speed is the most important thing. No matter how strong you are, if you are unable to make contact with your opponent, your power counts for little other than defence. Any pro MA should be able to get first strike against an untrained fighter, and should be able to end it there an then. 1 second is enough to lose a fight. Indeed speed is the reason why most pro MMA fighters aren't the size of body builders, after a certain point, it becomes more important to not lose speed even for much more power. Genetic mutants like Brock Lesnar, who have a lot of power yet don't lose any speed are rare exceptions to this rule.

Now to address a_t's point. I agree broadly with the big idea, that different martial arts do have their flaws and that a kick based MA like TKD if not mastered would be a disadvantage. Indeed strike based martial arts were dominated by grapple based MA during the early years of MMA. That said, I think that a lot hasn't been said about the true essence of MAs. Namely, that they are not so much to do with the 'moves' learnt and more so once a higher level has been reached about the 'forms' utilised. I know for a fact that there are plenty of grapples in TKD, they're just not widely taught. The point being that a true master of most martial arts, particularly in their traditional form ie not westernised karate, would have a near complete range of strategies for dealing with virtually all situation; thus would have far fewer of the apparent weaknesses of their more modern counter parts.

In short, it all depends on the lady's level. If she is a moderate martial artist, she will lose. If she is a master, her speed coupled with her knowledge of where to strike will be too much for the big guy.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, as for all the posts saying "aim for the testicles" in not so many words, that simply doesn't work. It's more or less the single most instinctively defended area. A woman who tries to kick there will find herself blocked or he'll retreat almost before the man even realises he's doing it. Not to mention that it's piss easy to block with a mere turn of the leg, which in turn leaves the attacker somewhat exposed.
    Even kicking waist high is a bit of a waste of time, realistically.

I can't think of any scenario in which a female combatant could outmatch a determined male combatant of similar or greater stature, short of her taking him by surprise.

As for technique, a lot of (traditional/formal) martial arts is more for show/its own sake than any real effectiveness, which is one of the reasons why I stopped going to trainings (I used to do sulkido). I simply didn't see the point of learning stuff which was absolutely useless IRL.
    Nowadays I do a bit of wrestling when I can find the time and a willing partner. Going back to the topic, a fight is likely to devolve to that after a little while, and realistically a women who typically has a significant weight and strength disadvantage, has no chance.

The one time I did floor-grappling with a woman in a training session, even though she was about my stature, and orders of magnitude more experienced at martial arts than me, she was hopelessly outmatched, and even the scrawniest, newbie males were much more difficult for me to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I believe what i said agrees with your posts... boxing is a great striking form, but has its weaknesses...

kthxbi

(Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    The point being that a true master of most martial arts, particularly in their traditional form ie not westernised karate, would have a near complete range of strategies for dealing with virtually all situation; thus would have far fewer of the apparent weaknesses of their more modern counter parts.
    I agree about the traditional forms being more... i guess the words practical, but you have to remember that they were designed for fighting on battlefields and other completely different scenarios compared to fighting on the street.

Take my advise, dont restrict yourself to one or two martial arts. Look around, whether your going to seminars, lessons or just googling/youtubing stuff and practise what you see and keep what you thinks useful and disregard/adapt the rest. For example, I know of 10+ ways to just do a forward roll (from Systema Spetsnaz techniques to Ninjutsu etc) and there are 1000s of ways to do things like sweeps. In a fight you want to keep things simple because if you over complicate it by doing fancy kicks, locks or whatever, chances are its going to blow up in your face.

But getting back on topic. If she's massively disadvantaged then chances are she wont. But anything can happen, and if she's extremely good she could stand a fair chance imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    It depends on a few things.
    Do both opponents know that they're fighting?
    Is he grabbing her from behind?

How good is her fighting style and how much experience does she have?
    Has she thought against people bigger than her?
    Does he know she's a martial artist?
    What's his fight game like?
    :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    A woman martial artist can defeat a male martial artist wing chun was a martial art created by women so they could defend themselves against men without using their strength. My sifu knew a woman in china who had beaten many men in rooftop fights.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you mean by martial artists. If you mean unfit people who spend 2 nights a week down the local community centre wearing pajamas and using their chi then i'd expect a rugby player or large man to beat this kind of martial artist whether the martial artist was male or female, HOWEVER if we are talking about people who actually fight and are proffesional athletes i'd bet my money on cris cyborg (who weighs about 140lbs i think) against anyone untrained if you dont know who she is youtube her before replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Yeah, his kicks are going to hurt the boxer who keeps his guard tight, bobs, weaves and is conditioned through months and years of sparring to take hits to the head
    Well yes, to be blunt, they are. Believe it or not, TKD people are also sometimes well practised. You seemt to be of the attitude that they just stand there and occasionally stand on one leg for a laugh. I can assure you that this is not the case. If nothing else, I can't imagine being conditioned to take punches to the head is complete preparation for being kicked - I have been punched by a boxer, and kicked by a TKDer, and I can tell you which one hit harder. Furthermore, just because you're conditioned doesn't mean you're indestructible in that area. As it happens, TKDers also don't just throw out random kicks. Certainly it is the case that if you just stood there and kicked you would be quickly taken down, but the general idea is to choose your moments a bit more wisely for your kicks. All in all, you have basically said that assuming TKDers are completely useless, they will be beaten up every time by a boxer. Whilst agreeing that this is true, I would question its usefulness as a statement. As a final point, I would mention the example of mirko crocop, who built a successful career out of kicking people who were punching him.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.