Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im going to the hospital soon to get a one and i was just wondering what would be better, getting my throat numbed with anesthetic or get sedatated? ive got ocd and autism and had my throat being touched so i think im going to find this operation hard. does any1 know if i would be better getting the anesthetic or sedation??? thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Sedation, definitely.
    I had the throat spray and it was horrible.
    The op in itself was fine, but the tube down the throat into the stomach wasn't. I wish i'd have been sedated.

ReputationRep:
    I've had 2 and had both throat spray and sedation with both. Don't remember much of them at all. I had one on Friday in fact. Sedation is epic fun, can't recommend it enough.

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IloveSamx)
    im going to the hospital soon to get a one and i was just wondering what would be better, getting my throat numbed with anesthetic or get sedatated? ive got ocd and autism and had my throat being touched so i think im going to find this operation hard. does any1 know if i would be better getting the anesthetic or sedation??? thanks x
    Personally, I would take the midazolam.

i've had an endoscopy, i chose the throat spray but the whole procedure was still horrible and uncomfortable. if you have a choice go with sedation, at least you'll be a little bit out of it. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I had the throat spray- it was fine. Worst part was the tube being pulled out and being sick with spit everywhere urghhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IloveSamx)
    I see lists of endoscopies done on a daily basis. Personally, I'd go for throat spray as the only people generally who seem to have problems are those who are incredibly anxious. If that is how you're feeling, then I'd recommend the sedative. Otherwise, you should be fine. Naturally, you're going to feel uncomfortable and with both people do gag a little to begin with. However, it's a five minute procedure and is literally over before you know it. They give you the sedative if you don't manage with throat spray anyway - at least, where I work they do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.