Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I tried asking for help on Yahoo!Answers. One of them told me to hang myself, what a friendly bunch(!).

I'm 18 & I got diagnosed with depression 2 weeks ago, but I'm on the waiting list for counselling (and it's long). I haven't told my parents yet... considering they're extremely judgemental. I haven't told anyway.

Anyway, I feel like I can't cope anymore. I'm screaming at myself in my head "GET A GRIP!", "PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER", but I'm finding myself drawing away from my friends and hiding in the library every lunch/breaktime. I know they're talking about me behind my back, but every time I sit with them, I feel like crying.

On the homework front, I just sit in bed all day on Tumblr or some other distraction. I have an essay due in at the end of the week that I haven't started yet. I'm skipping lessons. I come home from college crying. I'm going to fail. And now I've reached the self-pity stage and it's annoying me that I'm being so goddamn pathetic.

I don't even know what I want you guys to do. Chances are that I'll get no answers. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm losing my mind and there's 8 weeks till the first counselling sessions start, not that I see them helping much. And I definitely don't want anti-depressants. What do I do???????

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone at school/college you can talk to? A school nurse, or a teacher you trust? Sometimes it helps just knowing that someone else knows what's going on.

Remember you can phone the Samaritans (08457 90 90 90) if you want to talk - they aren't just for suicide. They also have an email address ([email protected]) if you don't want to risk your parents overhearing you on the phone. If you're in Scotland, there's also Breathing Space who have phone support and advice on their website too.

I know you said you don't want antidepressants, but it might be worth discussing it with your GP. There are tons of different antidepressants, so your ideas of what it might be like to take them might not match up to the reality of it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to go and see an official counsellor about your depression, you need someone you can open up to. Although I must admit counselling is very beneficial! The waiting list is pathetic though, and then if you need to go and see the 'core beliefs' ones you have to wait another 3 months :rolleyes:
    I would really just find someone you trust and explain it to them, you will be suprised at how empathetic people are :yep: The majority of people really just want to help, want you to feel good about yourself and to get better.

I know it is incredibly hard to explain it to others, well it was/is for me, but being open about it helped me a lot

Even if you go on AD's for a couple of months just to try and ease you through your current predicament. I am not a fan of them for long-term usage though tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Well done for going and getting a diagnosis, that's an important first step. Is there one of your friends who you feel able to confide in? If you did that, you'd then have someone to talk to about all this stuff, which is invaluable, and also they might be able to have a word with your other friends to go easy on you. I know from experience that when you withdraw from people because of depression it can mean that you lose their friendship permanently, and I wouldn't want that to happen to you. :hugs:

Any time you want someone to talk to you can always try the depression society, we're a friendly lot, and you won't get any insensitive ****heads giving you abuse. If you want to stay anonymous then just open up a new account to use.

ReputationRep:
    As meaningless as this might sound to you at the moment: just try to stay positive.

Don’t over-think about what’s happening. Don’t withdraw yourself from people who will want to help you. Don’t make things worse for yourself.

You’ve got a problem and you’ve acknowledged that you have a problem. You are trying to get help. That's a step in the right direction and the best thing to do. But, you need to open up to people about it and don’t just go through the motions when the counselling starts – take it seriously.

I've been dealing with my mum going through depression for nearly 18 months and she just refuses to let herself feel better. Don’t let that happen to you.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you are going through a really tough time at the moment. It is good that you are seeking help - I actually wish I had done the same when I was your age.

Depression can feel so isolating. I want you to know that you are not alone - although you and your situation are unique, there are other people experience similar thoughts and feelings. Anyone who has been through it would not wish it on their worst enemy.

One of the things that comes across from your post is that you're quite hard on yourself. Ask yourself what you would tell a friend if they came to you with the same problem. Would you tell him/her to "get and grip" or "pull yourself together"? Yet we tell ourselves these things all the time. Sometimes we need to be kind to ourselves, especially when we're feeling unwell.

Anti-depressants aren't right for everyone but they can be good for "taking the edge off" the low mood and negative thoughts you are experiencing. This may help by giving you the energy to tackle the problems that caused the depression face-on, perhaps with the support of a counsellor. It's worth discussing with a doctor before you dismiss them outright.

Most of all, I hope you start to feel better soon and get the help and support you need and deserve.

ReputationRep:
    Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts, behaviour, feelings and physical well-being. It may include feelings of sadness, anxiety, emptiness, hopelessness, worthlessness, guilt, irritability, or restlessness .

ReputationRep:
    Shut of your laptop and work. When you skip lessons, work in those lessons.

I would suggest also that you stop regarding those people who talk (negatively) behind your back as friends- it is a contradiction.

Trust me on this - do not always take what the doctor says as gospel. When I was at university I couldn't sleep and felt depressed. I went to the doctor and they said I had depression and gave me anti-depressants. The pills actually made me feel worse! I stopped taking them and felt withdrawal symptoms afterwards.

I'm sure we've all been where you're at right now. You need to pin point what it is in your life that's making you so unhappy and change it. If you want to meet new people, why not join a club?

I can recommend a herbal remedy that I still sometimes use, as I suffer from insomnia. I take 'skullcap'. You can buy it from any herbal pharmacy. It's a natural anti-depressant that will make you feel calmer, more relaxed and help you sleep better. It's got no chemicals in and has no side effects.

ReputationRep:
    Here’s some advice that you can start applying straight away and if you can stick with it it will help.
    It is obvious from your post that you are worried about your school work and that you are also avoiding it. It is quite natural to avoid what worries us but you will know that avoidance only increases this particular problem since you fall further behind. It is a vicious circle and helping yourself out of the rut you are in involves breaking this cycle. The question is how do you do this when you are feeling as if you have no will power to take on demanding tasks. The key is to set yourself a goal but make it achievable. If you don’t think you can achieve much in your present state of mind, set only a very modest goal. When you then try to achieve this goal, and do so, it will lift your spirits and raise your confidence. Just a little bit, but nevertheless it will be a start. You will suffer setbacks but you must remember this formula. If you persist in setting attainable goals you will keep feeling good about succeeding rather than bad about failing. The panic you feel about your life careering out of control will reduce and free up your will power. Do not be tempted to set your goals too high because failure will have the opposite effect to success and will just reinforce your depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I tried asking for help on Yahoo!Answers. One of them told me to hang myself, what a friendly bunch(!).

I'm 18 & I got diagnosed with depression 2 weeks ago, but I'm on the waiting list for counselling (and it's long). I haven't told my parents yet... considering they're extremely judgemental. I haven't told anyway.

Anyway, I feel like I can't cope anymore. I'm screaming at myself in my head "GET A GRIP!", "PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER", but I'm finding myself drawing away from my friends and hiding in the library every lunch/breaktime. I know they're talking about me behind my back, but every time I sit with them, I feel like crying.

On the homework front, I just sit in bed all day on Tumblr or some other distraction. I have an essay due in at the end of the week that I haven't started yet. I'm skipping lessons. I come home from college crying. I'm going to fail. And now I've reached the self-pity stage and it's annoying me that I'm being so goddamn pathetic.

I don't even know what I want you guys to do. Chances are that I'll get no answers. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm losing my mind and there's 8 weeks till the first counselling sessions start, not that I see them helping much. And I definitely don't want anti-depressants. What do I do???????
    If you need to talk to someone, please feel free to PM me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.