Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Addict - someone who is physiologically dependent on a substance; abrupt deprivation of the substance produces withdrawal symptoms.

There are two types of addiction, physical and psychological. You are physically addicted to water as your body cannot function without it. You experience headaches, muscle cramps, dizziness, decreased blood pressure, fatigue etc etc.

Thirst is the craving for water, resulting in the compulsion for animals to drink. . You are psychologically addicted to water as when you are extremely thirsty all you can think about is water. By the very definition of the word, you are psychologically addicted to water.

Whether you need the substance to survive does not take away from the fact that a compulsion or suffering withdrawal to a substance is by definition an addiction.
    By definition our need to consume water is an addiction.

The reason why some chemicals (drugs) are addictive is because your body is used to that chemical and now is dependant on it to function and needs it to "survive". Thus it is the same thing.

Unlike addiction to things like nicotine, you are born addicted to water. And withdrawal results in DEATH.

If humans did not need water then there wouldn't be thirst in the world, the lives of millions for in example Africa would be substantially better.

So wouldn't you say arguably it's the worst addiction?

ReputationRep:
    No its the meaning of life but you dont need 3ltrs a day

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I dont think it is an addiction. It is just a necessity. :P

ReputationRep:
    Water is a necessity. /thread

ReputationRep:
    OP has a point here! I may have to jump on this, cause my AIR addiction isn't giving me enough of a high these days :/

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I should stop eating food coz I think I'm getting addicted to it

ReputationRep:
    No, because a fair percentage of our bodies consists of water and it's necessary for various metabolic processes. It's not a psychoactive substance either.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell, I can just imagine you being the ultimate pub philosopher, talking *******s like this before you pass out over the bar and vomit in the barwoman's hair.

"No, but listen right, GET THIS, RIGHT, an addiction is, like, something you need, like, innit? STEVE! *hic* LISTEN, RIGHT, STOP PLAYING WITH THAT COASTER AND LISTEN, I'VE GOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO SAY! GET THIS, RIGHT: Water... IS AN ADDICTION! "

ReputationRep:
    Without water, you die.

ReputationRep:
    what a stupid question. Of course it is, so is wearing clothes and talking...all three combined will send you to an early grave

ReputationRep:
    As far as I was aware, and addiction is a dependance on something that is not a necessity, such as nicotene, or heroin, or Call of Duty. Water is a necessity. I see where you're coming from, but you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Addict - someone who is physiologically dependent on a substance; abrupt deprivation of the substance produces withdrawal symptoms.

There are two types of addiction, physical and psychological. You are physically addicted to water as your body cannot function without it. You experience headaches, muscle cramps, dizziness, decreased blood pressure, fatigue etc etc.

Thirst is the craving for water, resulting in the compulsion for animals to drink. . You are psychologically addicted to water as when you are extremely thirsty all you can think about is water. By the very definition of the word, you are psychologically addicted to water.

Whether you need the substance to survive does not take away from the fact that a compulsion or suffering withdrawal to a substance is by definition an addiction.

The reason why some chemicals (drugs) are addictive is because your body is used to that chemical and now is dependant on it to function and needs it to "survive". Thus it is the same thing.

Unlike addiction to things like nicotine, you are born addicted to water. And withdrawal results in DEATH.

If humans did not need water then there wouldn't be thirst in the world, the lives of millions for in example Africa would be substantially better.

Definition of Addiciton = being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming

If something is habit-forming it suggests that it is a non-essential desire, unlike the urge for hydration (which is animalistically innate)....
    Therefore, I believe the fundamental point of your argument is undermined so the rest become irrelevant im afraid!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulation OP !I nominate your thread as the biggest fail of 2011,yet.

Are you saying that drinking water is an abnormality ?

ReputationRep:

Well I don't know why everyone else is being so disparaging of this; I for one find it quite an interesting point! I suppose it all hinges on the definition of the word 'addiction'. By your definition, I would have to agree with you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    No, because a fair percentage of our bodies consists of water and it's necessary for various metabolic processes. It's not a psychoactive substance either.
    A chemical does not have to be psychoactive to be addictive, in fact most psychoactive substances aren't addictive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bacforever3)
    Definition of Addiciton = being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming

If something is habit-forming it suggests that it is a non-essential desire, unlike the urge for hydration (which is animalistically innate)....
    Therefore, I believe the fundamental point of your argument is undermined so the rest become irrelevant im afraid!
    I don't understand why it has to only apply to things which are abnormal or normal, that would make it completely subjective.

In the 1930s and 1940s people smoked everywhere, it was normal to smoke, it would be weird if you didn't smoke. Was tobacco not addictive then in the 1930s?

Why does it being a necessity detract from it's adjective meaning that it is an addiction? The etymology of the word implies it simply means something you have a devotion, habit or tendency for.

Why does addiction necessarily only apply to things you don't need for survival?

If humans one day evolved or had technological capability to not physically require water to survive, but still psychologically craved it, would that be then an addiction?

When you are addicted to something, you are addicted to it.
    If you are addicted to it, but you need it to survive, it doesn't make it any less of an addiction.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why it has to only apply to things which are abnormal or normal, that would make it completely subjective.

In the 1930s and 1940s people smoked everywhere, it was normal to smoke, it would be weird if you didn't smoke. Was tobacco not addictive then in the 1930s?

Why does it being a necessity detract from it's adjective meaning that it is an addiction? The etymology of the word implies it simply means something you have a devotion, habit or tendency for.

Why does addiction necessarily only apply to things you don't need for survival?

If humans one day evolved or had technological capability to not physically require water to survive, but still psychologically craved it, would that be then an addiction?

When you are addicted to something, you are addicted to it.
    If you are addicted to it, but you need it to survive, it doesn't make it any less of an addiction.
    By abnormal, it doesnt mean socially abnormal or such; rather, the term refers to biologically abnormal, bringing addiciton back down to a fundamentally habitual desire rather than a biological one.

Therefore, addiction is measurable to a degree, because its based on the scientific understanding of the body without habit.

So the crave for sugar (beyond what is biologically normal) is a serious addiciton!

Its all in the meaning of addicition that you are confused.... if addiciton meant 'craving' then you would be fine, but it specifically serves another purpose, to seperate ESSENTIAL craving from UNESSENTIAL craving.

On the contrary, I haven't drunk any water in a long time...

More like grape juice

Edit: And my thirst is the craving for grape juice, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I consume a lot of water, a lot...

But I am capable of fasting whole day (15-16 hours) so I don't think I am addicted to it, more like my body needs more fluids than normal...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.