Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which AS level should I drop for A2? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry in advance if this is a bit long.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma at the minute, lots of my teachers have started asking me which A-levels I'm going to keep to A2 and which one I'm going to drop. I currently take:

Chemistry
    Physics
    Maths
    Geography

but I really don't know which one I should drop for A2 level.

I'm fairly sure I want to study Earth Science/Geolgy at university, and I really can't see which subject would be best to drop. I enjoy chemistry and I'm good at it, plus it's fairly useful for what I want to do, so I'll probably carry that on, although I've really noticed that the difficulty and workload have picked up recently.

Physics is another subject I enjoy, I find some parts fairly difficult, but it's really interesting. Yet again, I know it's fairly relevant for geology.

Maths is probably the only subject I don't enjoy. I'm good at maths, best in the class problably, but I don't enjoy it. I find it quite difficult (as does everyone), but I always seem to do well in exams. I have very little passion for it however, I don't find doing sums for hours enjoyable at all. I originally thought I'd drop maths at A2, but I'm not so sure now, having looked at geology courses it turns out maths is actually pretty important. It's in the suggested subjects for all courses, and if I want to study at Oxford (which I'm considering but not dead set on) maths to A2 level is complusory.

Finally, geography. For most science courses, this would seem like the obvious one to drop, but it does seem somewhat related to geology (especially the tectonics, volcanology parts of it). I don't study geology A-level, universities don't expect you do have studied it before, and geography is the only lesson which currently seems related (even though sciences are fundamentally more useful). Geography is probably the subject I enjoy most in all honesty, and I especially love the fieldwork aspects of it (which I imagine will be useful in a geology application).

My teachers all want me to keep their subject, and without being vain, I'm generally top in the class at all of them, so I genuinely don't know which one to drop. I got 3 A's in my january modulars (no january exam for geography).

There is always the prospect of doing 4 A2 levels, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. For a start, I'm very lazy, capable, but lazy, and I'm aware the workload does really increase at A2 level. I'm coping at the minute, but I am starting to feel the stress from exams, and I know I should really be doing more revision than I am. Plus it will leave me with fewer free periods and probably inhibit my results in the other subjects. I'm not sure exactly how compulsory it is, but our school makes you do the AS in General Studies in year 13, so I'll have that to worry about too.

I'm really going for the top teir universities, Oxford, Bristol, Imperial etc. and the entry requirements are generally in the regiod on A*AA - ABB, so I want to pick the subjects which will give me the strongest application. I haven't studied earth science before, I like the look of it, but I don't know which will be most useful.

Any advice would be very kindly apreciatted. I know it's not the most popular course in the world, but if there are any geology students on here (I do question their existence) some pointers would be invaluable really.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Can you not wait until after the summer exams to decide? We were only allowed to drop anything after we actually had the results from our summer exams - so it's at least worth waiting until you've done the exams and have some idea how things went. For example, if you walk out of your maths exams in the summer knowing full well that you left the entire exam paper blank, that would pretty much answer your question for you

Also, try and get out of the AS in General Studies. You may find that 4 A2s are possible (I didn't! ) but there is no point whatsoever in doing GS as well - it'll only make it harder for you to do what you want by eating an hour or so a week of your time while offering no benefit whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Can you not wait until after the summer exams to decide? We were only allowed to drop anything after we actually had the results from our summer exams - so it's at least worth waiting until you've done the exams and have some idea how things went. For example, if you walk out of your maths exams in the summer knowing full well that you left the entire exam paper blank, that would pretty much answer your question for you

Also, try and get out of the AS in General Studies. You may find that 4 A2s are possible (I didn't! ) but there is no point whatsoever in doing GS as well - it'll only make it harder for you to do what you want by eating an hour or so a week of your time while offering no benefit whatsoever.
    This. You'll find that most people who decide to drop a subject end up doing superbly well and carrying it onwards to A2.

There is plenty of time to think about it but for now just focus on summer exams
    and i think you will then be able to answer your own question then. (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Just do the 4A-levels, maths,chem physics are not hard if you survived AS. I cant say for Geograophy, but it was interesting at gcse.

ReputationRep:
    Keep them all?

ReputationRep:
    If you can manage them, don't get rid of maths and physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    what do you think?
    In my AS year i took the same a-levels as you, with the intention of studying geography. If you're intending to study earth science, geology involves a lot of chemistry, obviously the geography would be a a huge help. As for the other two, i'd suggest whichever you get the highest AS grade in, Physics probably just has the edge, but perhaps i have a bit of bias there (I dropped maths) Good luck, and dont worry about it until you get your results, I'm sure you can always change.

ReputationRep:
    don't drop chem or phsyics, they are the best subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    x
    If you are able to, maybe you should consider not dropping a subject at A2. I was in a very similar situation to you last year when I was deciding between Maths or French to drop, but in the end I kept them both and continued with 4 subjects. The workload is no more than in AS in my opinion, and I find that my friends generally waste their extra free lessons anyway so it has made no difference for them.
    Also, about maths. I definitely wouldn't enjoy doing maths problems at home either, and I don't. But if you are good at maths, regardless of whether you find it hard, if you get good grades in it, it's really good. Especially in the eyes of universities. Maths A Levels are highly prized as they show that you have good problem solving ability. So I'd recommend that you take it. But in the end, it is your decision and you need to decide what you will be comfortable with taking next year. Other than that, wait till results day as you may need to drop a subject you didn't expect to etc.
    Ohh, and General Studies is ignored by almost all universities, so if you fail that it isn't going to be the end of the world. My school don't even let us take it because it will waste our time.
    Good Luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    lots of uni's will only look at your top 3 A levels anyway.

having an extra A level would give you more ucas points even if your average grade was lower than someone who did 3 a levels

ReputationRep:
    Looks like geography is a pretty clear choice to me :P Though you seem very intelligent so 4 A2s may be something you need to pull yourself together to do.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful. Still not 100% sure, but maybe 4 won't be too much... I'll probably have a better idea by the time summer exams are over

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.