The Student Room Group

Should I drop French?

Hi,

I'm in Year 10, and very good and dedicated at scientific subjects (especially Maths, e.g I'm just finishing off learning C3 and C4) and not bad at humanities (e.g predicted A* in Geography and A/A* in History). I'm also very dedicated towards CS, I've done IT (pretty much the opposite of IT, but the only vaguely computing-related subject my school offers) GCSE early and am doing A Level early, and have experience in programming + open source community. Apart from French, I'm predicted all A/A* at GCSE and would like to get all A* at A Level (A level Maths, FM, Physics, AS or A level Electronics plus a fifth option) apart from Applied IT. I'd like to study combined CS + Maths at a top uni, ideally Cambridge (I'd then have to choose between CS and Maths).

In French, I'm currently getting a D, and am predicted a C with lots of hard work. I also have the option to drop French, and use the time to work on other subjects, e.g on the Stats GCSE I'm doing in my own time. My French teacher doesn't think I should drop French, and says that it will help me get into university. While I recognise that if two students are identical, but one has a French GCSE and one doesn't the one with the French GCSE will be chosen. However, would my effort not be better placed in e.g making sure I get A* in History, Geog and Stats? What would TSR recommend I do?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest