Turn on thread page Beta

Self-studying C3, C4 and S1 for June, need help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So as I said in the title I'm self-studying A2 Maths and right now I feel really down in the dumps. When I study from the book, I understand most concepts and I feel fine, but when I look at the past papers I feel like there is no way I can solve it.

For me, it's totally different than C1 and C2. The questions in those were repetitive and they really couldn't get out of a certain, very limited amount of questions. However, it's different in C3 and C4, as I see different ideas come up every examination.

I have other exams too, which start in a month, so basically I only really have a month left to study the 3 modules. I've finished C3, finished C4 bar integration, and finished 6 chapters of S1. Yet, I still find myself struggling with the past papers.

Is this normal? Will it just get better with more practice? Do you have any tips which could help me? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I self-taught C3, C4 and M1 between January and June of lower sixth so I can see where you're coming from. It took a long time for everything to click, but when it did, what I used to find hard I started to find incredibly easy. You just have to persist and then with a bit of luck the same will happen to you. If you understand all the concepts then you're in a good position, just follow it through by attempting a sizeable chunk of the problems from your textbook; only after you've done this should you be looking at exam questions. [By 'sizeable chunk' I really mean it, you should aim to do at least two thirds of the problems.]

So in summary: yes it's normal, you'll get better with practice, and you just need to blitz exercises like a maniac for a month or so before trying past exam papers.

Also, it's definitely worth getting to grips with C4 integration, because it's a big chunk of the module.

ReputationRep:
    Practice is what you need, especially of those exam style questions. Also, Integration usually carries around 50% of the marks in C4 papers and as noudia said to master C4, you need to master Integration.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2011

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.