The Student Room Group

Increase in tuition fees= Increase in contact time?

Just a thought, but as students are going to be investing more financially into their degrees, do you think that universities will be forced to increase the current lack of contact time?
Reply 1
Original post by DavidCraig
Just a thought, but as students are going to be investing more financially into their degrees, do you think that universities will be forced to increase the current lack of contact time?

I bloody well hope so!

But thinking about it, it's unlikely. The government have cut so much funding for universities that if anything, I would expect contact time to decrease. Sad times :frown:
Reply 2
Unlikely, they want you there for as long as possible so you pay more fees. For most courses they don't even need to be done in 3 years, they could do them in half that with intensive teaching.
Reply 3

No, because universities get the same amount of money. You just contribute more towards the cost of your degree.
The answer is a big fat NO.

As has been said above: the universities won't get any more money. They wont change their programmes.
Reply 5
Original post by garethDT
Unlikely, they want you there for as long as possible so you pay more fees. For most courses they don't even need to be done in 3 years, they could do them in half that with intensive teaching.

They could if your professors and lecturers were just teachers.
However most of them spend more than half the year doing research, so there isn't really time for more teaching.
Reply 6
Original post by Fallen
They could if your professors and lecturers were just teachers.
However most of them spend more than half the year doing research, so there isn't really time for more teaching.

I'm just speaking from my perspective as my degree is modern languages and they literally are just teachers. I appreciate for other degrees it may be different.
Reply 7
I know they aren't receiving extra funding. However, my older brother has been telling me about the pathetic lack of contact time they get now. If I'm paying 10k for the same contact time that he is describing then I will be an absolute ass hat to my professors whenever they do something half-asked.
I know they aren't receiving extra funding. However, my older brother has been telling me about the pathetic lack of contact time they get now. If I'm paying 10k for the same contact time that he is describing then I will be an absolute ass hat to my professors whenever they do something half-asked.

But the problem is the first line, there isn't any extra funding for them involved why should they change there programmes just to suit you? They don't get anything else in return so they won't see much point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending