Turn on thread page Beta

Britain has declined radically in the last 100 years watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Check th CIA website.
    I did -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nomina l)

3rd column - CIA figures

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...untries_by_GDP

If you look at this, I think it's fair to say that the UK has not been in a state of radically decline for 100 years. Rather, like all countries the UK has been through periods of decline and periods of high growth, and as I mentioned before alot of it has got to do with exchange rates. Look at the difference in UK GDP between 2007 and 2009. It's a fall of 25% but the recession only wiped off 5% of GDP. Why? Because of the fall in sterling.
    On the other hand despite stronger growth from France and Germany their economies have shrunk between 2009 and 2010 whilest ours has grown. Because of the exchange rate.
    Again look at Japan. Their GDP has only now recovered to the level it was in 1995. Because of the exchange rate.
    I can not emphasise enough how much exchange rates distort these figures.

ReputationRep:
    These statistics are nominal GDP - theyre going to look deflated for the UK because the pound depreciated significantly compared to the Euro in early 2008 while the Euro remained relatively stable and strong (people did however say the pound was slightly overvalued before the crisis).

By PPP, the UK is ahead of Italy, France, Finland, Japan and just behind Germany.

ReputationRep:
    In 1930 we had the greatest empire the world had ever seen, and were a beacon of civilization. We ruled one quarter of the world. Look at us now, less than a century later. A descent into conflict and a version of the third world awaits us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilios_Lampros)
    These statistics are nominal GDP - theyre going to look deflated for the UK because the pound depreciated significantly compared to the Euro in early 2008 while the Euro remained relatively stable and strong (people did however say the pound was slightly overvalued before the crisis).

By PPP, the UK is ahead of Italy, France, Finland, Japan and just behind Germany.
    Thank you finally. This is what I've been arguing in my last three posts but the pessimists are intent on ignoring this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    There's so much talk about the decline of the west in the news at the moment. The baton of global leadership is being passed to Asia and so on. But sod that we should be more concerned with Britain's relative decline WITHIN the West. One hundred years ago Britain was perhaps the richest country in the world although the United States was catching up. Now? Have a look at our national wealth compared to our nearest neighbours:

Luxembourg: $104390
    Norway: $88590
    Switzerland: $69838
    Denmark: $56790
    Sweden: $47934
    Netherlands: $46418
    Rep of Ireland: $45642
    Finland: $44650
    Austria: $43723
    Belgium: $42596
    France: $40591
    Germany: $40511
    United Kingdom: $35720
    Italy: $33828

So there you have it. If you exclude all those nations which until recently have been misruled by fascists and communists, Britain is pretty much the poorest country in Europe. You can't repeat that often enough. It's staggering and why our media is going on about it day after day after day bewilders me. I suppose we're doing better than Italy however! Also remember that most of these countries are less personally and governmentally indebted than we are. They're growth prospects look a lot better. Oh and don't forget all the super rich in Britain who are pushing the average up! Most of us are doing even worse.
    No **** sherlock... Nah just kidding but yeah, as you may have heard, considering it wasn't big news (sarcasm) we're in a debt.

(Original post by Fusilero)
    National... Wealth? What statistic are you using? GNP? GDP? GDP per capita? It's certainly not GNW.

Those numbers seem to be plucked out of nowhere. Also, most of us would rather live in 2011 Britain than 1900s Britain. ****, I'd prefer 2011 Britain to 2001 Britain.

Sources, as always, would be welcome.
    I agree.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.