Turn on thread page Beta

I feel like I can't do any work watch

Announcements

Hey anon please.
    Well I'm 19, I suffer from depression and I'm in my second year at Uni.
    I have two assignments in for Friday (both 2000 words) and one in for next Wednesday (1500 words) but, I just feel like I can't be bothered. None of the assignments count towards my actual grade and whenever I try them I feel sad, unmotivated and just feel like giving up on them. I've already got an extension for them, they were originally meant to be in last week but, I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself
    Usually I am quite motivated with my work. I get on with the reading, I copy up lecture notes, I start essays early but, it's coming towards the end of term and I just can't be assed. I spent 5 hours in the computer room today and only managed to write 300 words.
    Basically I just need a kick up the ass but, I'm the only person who can give myself one but, can anyone share your experiences of this kind of thing?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried listening to a bit music whenever you do work? It helped me become more motivated when I was at Uni, well that and playing Football Manager !!

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same way, then I realised that if I didn't do well this year then I'd probably be ending up cleaning for the rest of my life. That's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you'll just have to drop out of university :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in my second year everything you've said sounds very familiar - I'm usually good with deadlines and don't struggle with work but then when it gets near to exams I lose motivation. An old friend suffered from depression and also went through exactly the same thing.

I'd suggest doing things to try and put you in a better mood - listening to different music or watching films that make you happy. Also start with topics you find easiest or enjoy most to ease you in. Sometimes it can also help if you get a friend, preferably someone you know well, to study with you and encourage you.

It'll change eventually!

(Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Have you tried listening to a bit music whenever you do work? It helped me become more motivated when I was at Uni, well that and playing Football Manager !!
    Hopefully that'll work. Although playing Football Manager seems more distracting than motivating

ReputationRep:
    Try making a map, or some sort of spider diagram.
    If using the computer doesn't help, perhaps try to start writing bits on paper, and put them on the computer either.

What are the assignments about? Are they about something you could discuss with someone else, and potentially find ideas to write them out?

ReputationRep:
    So know how you feel. I just keep putting it off, until I figure that at some point I'm going to have to physically do it. I just have a rule, after half an hour, if I haven't done anything worthwhile, I stop and do something unrelated for a bit. That way I usually get more done than if I'm sat staring blankly at the computer for hours - probably because I'm less fed up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.