Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys
    Ok some im pretty sure im going to Coventry University to study Paramedic Science in september 2011 but ive been looking around and the accommodation prices are around £5000.
    Now i will be getting a student loan of around that much but i doubt i will be entitled to any grant so what on earth am i supposed to live off money wise?? I wont be able to get a job as i will be doing shifts on placements

Any help pleasee??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarsam11)
    Hey there guys
    Ok some im pretty sure im going to Coventry University to study Paramedic Science in september 2011 but ive been looking around and the accommodation prices are around £5000.
    Now i will be getting a student loan of around that much but i doubt i will be entitled to any grant so what on earth am i supposed to live off money wise?? I wont be able to get a job as i will be doing shifts on placements

Any help pleasee??
    Does your university offer any bursaries? Your uni may also have an Access to Learning fund, which you can claim for if you would have to drop out if you didn't get funding, but I think you can only apply for that once you have enrolled and started your course. Apart from that, I'm not sure what to suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Does your university offer any bursaries? Your uni may also have an Access to Learning fund, which you can claim for if you would have to drop out if you didn't get funding, but I think you can only apply for that once you have enrolled and started your course. Apart from that, I'm not sure what to suggest.
    Thanks for the help, ill look into your suggestions. Gonna be a squeeze with money i think

ReputationRep:
    That's absolutely extortionate - I've lived in Coventry and there are loads of flats going for less than half that! Unless the halls are amazing - and without wanting to be rude, I've walked past them and I can't see it myself - I wonder how they justify it.

I suppose if you're starting this year you want to be in halls for the experience so I hope you find a way to pay for it, but they do seem to be charging an enormous amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fysidiko)
    That's absolutely extortionate - I've lived in Coventry and there are loads of flats going for less than half that! Unless the halls are amazing - and without wanting to be rude, I've walked past them and I can't see it myself - I wonder how they justify it.

I suppose if you're starting this year you want to be in halls for the experience so I hope you find a way to pay for it, but they do seem to be charging an enormous amount.
    There's nothing special about them :/ i think its because there right in the middle of the city. Just gonna have to find a way to pay for it and then find something cheaper after the first year

ReputationRep:
    i live in apollo house and the rent adds up to around £3500, which your student loan will just about cover. if you are entitled to a grant, you will then have to split that between the amount of weeks in a term and it should be enough to live off. you will probably have to get an overdraft too, Halifax gives you the biggest overdraft, but you will get charged if you go past it. living in halls in your first year is well worth it, you get to meet so many new people and don't have to worry about bills. the only issue is the fines you get charged if you leave washing up etc. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND filling in your inventory (a form which lists any damages in your room) BEFORE you unpack. remember to flip your mattress, and write down any little marks on each wall and the ceiling, even the chair because when you leave they will charge you a tonne. wow this is a really long post, but i hope it proves useful. gimmie a shout if you have any more questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Im on the para course at cov in my first year. I'm not sure if it's the same for your year as they're cutting funding but we get travel expenses of 263 a month as when you're on placement you could be driving to Birmingham 4 times a week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student para 1)
    Im on the para course at cov in my first year. I'm not sure if it's the same for your year as they're cutting funding but we get travel expenses of 263 a month as when you're on placement you could be driving to Birmingham 4 times a week!
    Im not at Coventry, I was just giving general advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.