The Student Room Group

Being in a relationship while at uni?

So i am in a relationship now, me and my bf were talking about uni. He is going to the other side of the country to me and i was just wondering how other people cope with being in a relationship and going to different unis. I went to my local student union this weekend and i didnt cheat but am now thinking how hard it is going to be because of the different people there.
Reply 1
I bet yel get rogered off some other fella within the next 5 days

That's my contribution done
Reply 2
Keep in touch regularly through webcams every night for example. If you both truly love each other, you have nothing to worry about regarding cheating.
Reply 3
When I went to uni, I was in a relationship. We had been together for about a year but it soon fell apart when I was at uni. I didn't (and would never cheat...) I just felt that I had changed too much. He was still back in my hometown and had a full time job and got increasingly jealous of the new found freedom that I had.
I broke it off. Uni has been like a fresh start for me.

With contact, you will be able to make it work. However, most of the people that I know who went to uni in relationships have since broken it off...
Original post by Ritter
I bet yel get rogered off some other fella within the next 5 days

That's my contribution done

It was very easy to tell you were Scottish, just by reading your post :p:

Anyway OP, I think that you just have to maintain regular contact and see each other whenever you can. I knew someone who was going out with someone who was at uni 3/4 hours away, but they made regular contact and I think he used try and go back to his hometown to see her at the weekends as often as he could (although don't know how easy this would be for you). They've been together now for over 10 years and are married with 2 kids :smile: So long-distance relationships do work, if you both work hard at it!
Are you asking how hard it is in terms of communication/missing each other etc? Or how hard it is not to cheat? Because personally I have never the found the latter a problem!
I'm in the same position as you. All I can say is good luck, some couples do manage it :smile:
Reply 7
it's hard work and is horrible. you grow apart and changes apart from each other. even if you call ever night and get a train to see each other every week it still goes down the ****ter.
I'm in the same position, and I know I won't cheat and I'm pretty sure that he won't I sometimes still get paranoid, and I will worry about missing him and keeping in contact
Reply 9
Original post by ScottishShortiex
It was very easy to tell you were Scottish, just by reading your post :p:

Aye, a don't hide it like. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending