Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I've written a little piece about how to write a formal report
    It covers what should be included in each section and a few tips on the style of writing.

Check it out: How To Write A Formal Report

Tell me what you think!!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    come on guys!!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read all of it, but it's nicely laid out and the beginning bit sounded good! Might read your piece of procrastination though...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!!
    Possibly you procrastinated reading it all :P
    poor joke i know

But thanks for taking a look!! Keep checking it for updates!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else want to have a read?

ReputationRep:
    megabump!!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Cartesian_)
    megabump!!!!
    Do you mean a university level report or a sixth form level report?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Do you mean a university level report or a sixth form level report?
    It is targeted at sixth form but it certainly contains the bare bones for university level. I've found that they both follow very similar styles
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    It is targeted at sixth form but it certainly contains the bare bones for university level. I've found that they both follow very similar styles
    I've requested a thread move for you as I think that this might be better in the Maths, Science and Technology Academic Help Subforum. You don't need to make a new thread there as someone will move this one. I would perhaps alter the title of this thread to make it clear that you are offering advice on formal reports and say what type of reports you mean - this might attract new viewers who can help you.

Heya,

I've written a little piece about how to write a formal report
    It covers what should be included in each section and a few tips on the style of writing.

Check it out: How To Write A Formal Report

Tell me what you think!!
    Good advice.
    Just one small point...
    You recommend
    "Write in the past tense."
    The formal tense you recommend is called the "passive".
    In the example you quote...

Instead of writing ‘I next went on to test the hypothesis…’ it should read, ‘ The hypothesis was then tested…’
    ...the "incorrect" example is actually written in the past tense. It should have been written in the past passive.

It's a minor point but worth mentioning.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly aren't a university student. Please add a note on the website indicating which subject/area that report guideline refers to.

I'm particularly referring to this part:

Abstract
    Introduction
    Method
    Results
    Discussion
    Conclusion/Evaluation
    References or Appendix
    An Abstract is good practice. Introduction? Always. Method? Depends. Results? Depends. Discussion? Depends. Evaluation? Depends. Conclusion? Always. References/Bibliography? Always. Appendix? Depends.

Absolute bare bones template: Introduction, Main Text, Conclusion or Summary and References. Anything other than that depends on what the report describes. If it's about an experiment you conducted then method/results are expected. If it's a computer science or research type report then you might expect one or more of the following: analysis, specification, section summaries, evaluation, references/bibliography, appendix for extra information and data. Even this isn't quite clear but just to serve as a few examples.

Other things I didn't see mentioned (more tips really): The style of headings, front page and what goes there, document administration (who did what if group report), assumptions made, page numbers, table of contents etc.

Some useful features of Microsoft Word may have been helpful too regarding the above mentioned.

As for tense, you're wrong. Consider present tense and not just past tense. It all depends.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.