Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it wearing and removing contact lenses ? I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to touching my eye, I can just about touch me eye but end up closing my eye quite a bit. I can't keep my eye fully perfectly open without blinking as shown in tutorials.

Are they for me ?

ReputationRep:
    When I first got contacts, I would numb my eye with ice (by holding it to my closed eyelid for a few seconds), then pop them in quickly when I wouldn't be able to feel my finger touching my eye.
    After a couple of weeks, I could do it without that.

You can also hold your eye open with one hand while you put the lense in with the other.

Go see your optician, they'll show you how to put them in/take them out and give you a trial so you can see if they're right for you

ReputationRep:
    Can't even feel myself touching my eye! I thought I'd have problems with it, but its fine! Go to specsavers. They give you a free consultation, and free trial, and they'll show you what to do etc.

ReputationRep:
    You get the hang of it after about 2 weeks.
    In the beginning it took me several minutes per eye to put them in (taking them out is much easier), but now it has become a routine that only takes a few seconds every morning and evening.

ReputationRep:
    My tactic is to look up, and pull down the bottom lid a bit.

Mind you, I've never been that bothered about touching my eyes... guess I was just a bit of a strange child!

ReputationRep:
    you'll get used to it

i used to hate touching my eyes. after a couple of years of contacts i can now poke my eye around as much as i like without a problem (not that you should really be doing that)

alot of stuff with contacts is technique, i always find looking to the side and placing the contact on the white of my eye than shifting it over with a finger onto my pupil is a lot easier than poking my pupil

ReputationRep:
    at first its very hard - i used to automatically flick my eyelid so it was a lot of effort getting em in / out....but after like a week it becomes completely normal So yea, you do get used to it !

ReputationRep:
    Do people have trouble with contact lenses during hay fever season?

ReputationRep:
    I have a mild phobia of eyes and I soon learnt to do it, so I'm sure you'll be able to It does take some getting used to as it's hardly natural to pop little things into your eyes! As someone else said, they'll be somebody from whichever opticians to help you get used to the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    you'll get used to it

i used to hate touching my eyes. after a couple of years of contacts i can now poke my eye around as much as i like without a problem (not that you should really be doing that)

alot of stuff with contacts is technique, i always find looking to the side and placing the contact on the white of my eye than shifting it over with a finger onto my pupil is a lot easier than poking my pupil
    Yep, all of this. At first you can barely touch your eye without blinking and getting watery eyes, now I am totally blase about touching them.

Don't worry, you'll be shown how to do everything at the opticians.

ReputationRep:
    It took me nearly 10 minutes at first, but it progressively got easier and now it takes me less than 30 seconds. It gets a lot better. Also, unexpectedly fast.

EDIT: Just make sure you always have hands as clean as possible. As I use them for skiing mostly, I sometimes get tired in the evening, which causes me not to pay close attention to not touching anything etc., which in turn leads to irritation. But nothing worse.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you get it lined up perfect and look at the contact as you put it in then it will just go straight on your eye easy peasy. When you take it out you can either grab it with your finger and thumb or move it off your eye and grab it. I grab/pinch it off my eye straight away, this takes some getting use to. I once split the lense on my eye and had to grab both halves, **** was my eye red.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    How easy is it wearing and removing contact lenses ? I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to touching my eye, I can just about touch me eye but end up closing my eye quite a bit. I can't keep my eye fully perfectly open without blinking as shown in tutorials.

Are they for me ?
    First time it was hard for me. Took me like 5 minutes to put them in. But now I can do it in 10 seconds. You get use to it - I think you'll be fine. Just relax and practice every day.

EDIT: The way I do it is that I look away and put the contacts on the white part of my eye, then I look left right up down. It is usually settled in place so I blink and it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    At first its hard, but it gets easier.

What you have to remember is that you shouldn't really be touching your eye, when your putting them in. You offer it up to your eye, and your eye almost "sucks" it in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.