Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi people!

I'm taking my Music Teatre grade 8 on Wednesday :eek: and am looking forwrad to it but am a little apprehensive about my music to give to the examiner....

song, I haven't got a full score of it or a compilation book with it in.... is it ok to give the examiner a photocopy of this one song, even though for all the rest i've gotten the vocal scores from the library?

And has anyone got any tips? I did grade 5 two years ago (got a distinction) but grade 8 is a big leap....

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    BUMP! :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about LCM music theatre exams, but for ABRSM and Trinity music exams you're not allowed to bring photcopies into the exam room to read off, let alone to give to the examiner. I sat a music exam last weekend and the examiner had to stand behind me and read the music while I played it because he didn't have his own copy!

Plus there's the issue that many music books state in the front that it is illegal to make photocopies.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thank you for your reply!
    I've literally just got back from my exam and i came out feeling amazing.... the discussion and sight-reading went really well, and i was able to really show off what i know about musical theatre
    THat's weird what you said about photocopies ebcause in my grade 8 TG jazz exam last year, they made photocopies there O_O.... ahhh well
    The examiner didn't want any music in front of him, so I was ok in that regard ^_^

I'll let you know how i do

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I've found that when you leave an exam with that happy feeling it usually means you've done well

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Sorry for the delay in replying! I've been mega-busy.... exams and the likes of

anywho, I wanted to update you by telling you my good news - i got 92% which is a distinction, and i got some really nice feedback too, so i'm really happy!

Thanks for all your advice

ReputationRep:
    Hi... I'm about to do my grade 8 on thursday and I have only ever done grade 3. I'm really worried about the descussion and seeing as you did so well I was wondering whether you could give me some advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Firstly, what songs are you singing? What mark did you get on your grade 3? Have you acted upon feedback you got then?

You need to think about why you chose the songs you did and why you performed them in that order.

You need to be able to show a wider knowledge of musical theatre - for example, say what dream roles you have, and why. What would make you suitable for those roles? who has played those roles in what you see as an inspirational way?

Make sure you have an in-depth knowledge of the plot and context and little bits of trivia about at least 1 of your songs. I knew lots about 2, a fair amount about 1 and a little about the other. I was lucky because i was able to choose which song i'd talk about.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! Also, you can check the syllabus on the London College of Music Exam website. It has a markscheme and everything. it was very useful for me!

one final thing, You should know the strengths and weaknesses of your performance. for me, i thought my movement was a little weak i'm not much of a dancer tbh) but the examiner criticised me for a lack of costume changes or props. This was a criticism when i did grade 5 as well. You just need to be organised

Hope that's given you some ideas on where to target your knowledge!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.