Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stirlo)
    It would have no kinetic energy therefore cannot have any disorder. That's a physics-ish answer, which is what I'd write in the chem exam :/. Not sure for a chem based answer
    Thats what weve been taught for chem

ReputationRep:
    Just spent the last 2 hours revising them. Think I may finally understand them :/. Now to do a last minute check of the colours
    I might have to do that. Gah, I can see a very late night coming on... I've got English tomorrow too x_x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel1992)
    can someone explain in words why a reaction with a negative entropy and which is exothermic won't be feasible at higher temperatures?
    For this reaction, at high temperatures, delta S T will be very positive as the two negatives make a positive. Exothermic means delta H is negative, so as the temperature gets higher, delta S T will exceed delta H and therefore delta G will be Positive

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul_V)
    i cant seem to calculate values for the born haber cycle
    how would you work this out

2. Calculate the lattice enthalpy of sodium chloride from the following data:

Process Enthalpy change/kJmol-1
    Na(s) ? Na(g) +109
    Na(g) ? Na+(g) + e +494
    Cl2(g) ? 2Cl(g) +242
    Cl(g) + e ? Cl-(g) -360
    Na(s) + 1/2Cl2(g) ? NaCl(s) -411
    any1:confused:

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain in words why a reaction with a negative entropy and which is exothermic won't be feasible at higher temperatures

ReputationRep:
    Have you drawn out a born-haber cycle for it?

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain in words why a reaction with a negative entropy and which is exothermic won't be feasible at higher temperatures?
    delta G = delta H - (T delta S)
    exothermic therefore delta h = negative
    delta s = negative
    therefore:
    delta G = negative H minus (- S X T)
    so delta G = negative H + ST
    So at high temperature ST will be greater than delta H so delta G wont be -ve. So the reaction will no longer be feasible.

ReputationRep:
    G=H-TS (don't know how to do deltas )

If the entropy is negative, then TS is always negative, so -TS is always positive.
    H is negative, so H-TS will be negative when TS is small (low temp) and positive when TS is big (high temp)
    Since a positive value of G means it isn't feasible, this reaction would have a maximum temperature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king101)
    The reaction would always be feasible since no matter the value of T, it will always be negative.

Also since Change in H is always negative for an exothermic reaction then Delta G is always negative hence is always feasible at whatever temperature.
    The quoted said a negative entropy. When you minus a negative you get a positive. What you've explained it for a positive entropy

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain in words why a reaction with a negative entropy and which is exothermic won't be feasible at higher temperatures
    Explained above?

ReputationRep:
    What equation do we need to know from chapter 14.4 anyone? It has rechargeable - non rechargeable and fuel cells.

ReputationRep:
    The quoted said a negative entropy. When you minus a negative you get a positive. What you've explained it for a positive entropy
    Yeah i realsied that after i posted :P

ReputationRep:
    I got lattice formation = +47 KJmol-1

ReputationRep:
    Have you drawn out a born-haber cycle for it?
    yeah but im not getting the right answer
    keep getting -896 and the answer is -775

i can never get the right answer for these types
    of questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    G=H-TS (don't know how to do deltas )

If the entropy is negative, then TS is always negative, so -TS is always positive.
    H is negative, so H-TS will be negative when TS is small (low temp) and positive when TS is big (high temp)
    Since a positive value of G means it isn't feasible, this reaction would have a maximum temperature

thankyou i just had a mental block on the mathsy bit, so if -ts is positive and h is negative , can you give an example using values, like what would your calculation be

say overall h= -20 and -ts= 140 so what would you do with these two values?

ReputationRep:
    thankyou i just had a mental block on the mathsy bit, so if -ts is positive and h is negative , can you give an example using values, like what would your calculation be

say overall h= -20 and -ts= 140 so what would you do with these two values?
    my bad you would add them :facepalm::facepalm:

ReputationRep:

of questions
    The value for the atomisation of Chlorine is for Cl2, not 1/2Cl2 which is what you need. You need to half the value of that

ReputationRep:

of questions
    i got -774. Did you remember to half the cl2 --->2cl?

ReputationRep:
    The value for the atomisation of Chlorine is for Cl2, not 1/2Cl2 which is what you need. You need to half the value of that
    thanks done that and got the right answer

ReputationRep:
    thanks done that and got the right answer
    remember that atomisation results in one mole of product, but bond dissociation is to do with breaking one mole of bonds, so you can end up with 2 moles of product. In the exam they may just write enthalpy of atomisation of Cl2 for example instead of how you set it out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.