Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Woooo! In 7 hrs and 35 mins, we will be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :')

ReputationRep:
    guys how would you react half equation for this equation Q7b

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQ...W-QP-Jun10.pdf thanx alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_habib)
    guys how would you react half equation for this equation Q7b

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQ...W-QP-Jun10.pdf thanx alot
    From the question, we know that the emf of the reaction is +2.91 V.

Using the value from the table that Li+ + e- ---> Li = -3.04 V, we know that

E(positive electrode) - -3.04 = 2.91, that is, E(positive electrode) + 3.04 = 2.91.

2.91 - 3.04 = -0.13 V = E(positive electrode)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    I'm not as prepared as I was for unit 4. So I think maybe 100ums If I'm lucky.
    How about you?
    I good B probably. I wanted an A* overall but this exam clearly wasn't having it lol

ReputationRep:
    Guys, look at the answer for 7c) in this mark scheme. http://www.scribd.com/doc/50819775/A...11-Mark-Scheme

It says [Al(OH)6]3- when NaOH is added in excess (QP- http://www.scribd.com/doc/50819577/A...y-January-2011 if you need)

In the textbook it says when you add OH- in excess you get [Al(OH)4]- (p243 of the official nelson thornes one)

ReputationRep:
    I went to bed and just woke up...I wonder why :rolleyes:

my 12:00 we'll be free from the bondage's of AQA!!

ReputationRep:
    Which one is correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I went to bed and just woke up...I wonder why :rolleyes:

my 12:00 we'll be free from the bondage's of AQA!!
    I take it you didn't pick chemistry based subject at uni? I didn't. I won't ever see chemistry again in my life. Hopefully...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph2008)
    I take it you didn't pick chemistry based subject at uni? I didn't. I won't ever see chemistry again in my life. Hopefully...
    LOL I did :ninja: However it won't be endorsed by crappy AQA :P

ReputationRep:
    Which one is correct?
    My dad's a former chemist and insomniac. He says that [Al(OH)4]- should be produced, and that the mark scheme is incorrect (unless the question is a specific case that we aren't aware of)

ReputationRep:
    Which one is correct?
    I'd say stick with [AL(OH-)6]3-

I've learnt to not question AQA's mark schemes.. or they'll be price to pay lol

ReputationRep:
    Where does it say on the mark scheme?
    All I saw was [cr(oh)6]^3-

ReputationRep:
    Where does it say on the mark scheme?
    All I saw was [cr(oh)6]^3-
    Talking to me?

6b)

EDIT: Sorry, I said the wrong question before, its 6b not 7c. Check out 6b.

ReputationRep:
    Thats really awkward. All I've ever known is oh4 not oh6. Wikipedia says this Aluminium hydroxide is amphoteric. It dissolves in acid, forming Al(H2O)63+ (hexaaquaaluminium(3+)) or its hydrolysis products. It also dissolves in strong alkali, forming Al(OH)4- (tetrahydroxidoaluminate(1-)).
    No mention of any oh6

But weirdly enough, they've got this http://www.wikichemistry.com/konfuci...nium+hydroxide

Why does everything have to contradict itself =[

ReputationRep:
    Thats really awkward. All I've ever known is oh4 not oh6. Wikipedia says this Aluminium hydroxide is amphoteric. It dissolves in acid, forming Al(H2O)63+ (hexaaquaaluminium(3+)) or its hydrolysis products. It also dissolves in strong alkali, forming Al(OH)4- (tetrahydroxidoaluminate(1-)).
    No mention of any oh6
    Yup. I'm confused now. Which idiot puts one thing in their official book then something else in their own mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I'm confused now. Which idiot puts one thing in their official book then something else in their own mark scheme?
    I know. Those 1-2 marks could be the difference between a whole grade.

ReputationRep:
    I know. Those 1-2 marks could be the difference between a whole grade.
    I was looking at a sheet which my teacher personally wrote and photocopied. It says OH4. I'm gonna go with what she said.

ReputationRep:
    AQA - proud to make students suffer, or possible just incapable of proof reading and complacently incompetent.

Just have to hope the question doesn't come up as I now have no idea which to put if it did. Oh well, at least it's nearly over.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at a sheet which my teacher personally wrote and photocopied. It says OH4. I'm gonna go with what she said.
    I wrote oh4 in my mock and my teacher marked it wrong
    And it's what she taught us as well.

ReputationRep:
    this exam gonna be great, ill tell u lot my answers afterwards lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.