Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay, so I know this will sound a little bit like a whiny rant, but I don't care. Please don't de-anon, as the tail-end of this post is very personal (and justifies it being in H&R as opposed to some other forum).

Basically, the issue is that I'm an Engineering student and I can't seem to do maths. I know this sounds stupid, but bear with me. I've found maths difficult as long as I can remember, but in A-levels it finally started to come together. I went from an E (in FSMQ, 2008) to A (in C1, C2 and S1, 2009) and got Bs or above in C3, C4 and S2, and got an A overall in 2010.

However, since coming to university it all seems to have gone to ****. I am in a top-5 university (which will remain nameless) studying their flagship Engineering degree. I've been here less than a year and it's already going badly.

You're probably thinking that you need to be red-hot on maths to be good at Engineering, right? Well you're wrong. I'm finding all of my modules challenging, but mostly enjoyable and doable, except two modules which are basically pure maths, which are like banging my head against a brick wall. All of the others I'm really enjoying - I'm finding that the more work I put into them, the more fun and interesting they become, and the more I enjoy the lectures. Except, you guessed it, the maths ones.

The university has two mathematics modules, one designed for people who did further maths and another for people who didn't. Due to other factors, I've been put in the former group despite the fact I did only C1, C2, C3, C4 and S1 and S2 at Alevel.

I've spoken to second-years about this (I'm first) and they said simply that you have to "put the hours in". I've been trying that all year, and getting nowhere, and ending up totally demotivated and depressed. It's made worse by the fact that most of the rest of the cohort are finding it too easy. All of the bad modules say they only have A-level C1, C2, C3 and C4 as pre-requisite, but all those that excel seem to have done M1 and M2, and in some cases M3 and M4, D1 and D2 and FP1 and FP2.

My personal tutor is no help at all, he takes the attitude that, seeing as other people in my situation are not having problems, I also shouldn't be.
    There is obviously a problem, as one of the modules I am having problems with is being discontinued for freshers starting 2011.

The reason I posted this in H&R, as opposed to another more appropriate forum, is because this is beginning to cause me to become very depressed and is affecting my other modules, which I usually enjoy, and is beginning to affect other areas of my life. Also, this is being compounded by other problems I have (though not ones I'd feel comfortable speaking about, even while posting as anon).

Rant over. Advice, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Use a calculator?

ReputationRep:
    OP, do you go to The University of Warwick?

(Original post by *Dreaming*)
    Use a calculator?
    I have a Casio Fx991ES and a Casio Fx9860G-II which, admittedly, do help with quite a bit, but I can't take the Fx9860G into the exam. Also, the exam people normally want to see intermediate working, etc, and the Fx991ES can't just magic the answers out to questions to which I have no clue unfortunately

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    No.

ReputationRep:
    considering this is in the 'Health and Relationships' forum, I take it your inability to do maths is hindering your chances with the females?

OK here's my advice, I really really struggled with maths last year, and what I learned is that there's one simple rule to do well in Maths....practise, do all work that has been set and more, do through the book, do past papers and learn all the techniques used when answering different questions. Also try using some very helpful resources like MyMaths and KhanAcademy! they're very helpful!

http://www.khanacademy.org/
    http://www.mymaths.co.uk/

Good Luck dude!

ReputationRep:
    If I had a pound for every time someone said they had trouble with maths, I'd have... hmm...

I give up. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Do sport science lolololol

ReputationRep:
    having been there....maybe i can relate/advice a few things to you...

have you tried contacting your university maths department? because there is something called "MATH SUPPORT" at almost every university which help students from undergrad to doctoral level with mathematics....regardless of what your MAJOR is, they will make sure you are given full support.

btw what university do you attend?

as far as personal tutor are concerned...they are very busy people. lol...this i can truly relate to...

moreover your depression is due to stress. lol...anyways welcome to the club

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure this is the field you want to take?
    I know you're in Uni and that's very far but some people simply decide that it's not for them. Try something else.

However, if you really are passionate about Engineering then study hard and learn ahead... that helps a lot...

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so I know this will sound a little bit like a whiny rant, but I don't care. Please don't de-anon, as the tail-end of this post is very personal (and justifies it being in H&R as opposed to some other forum).

Basically, the issue is that I'm an Engineering student and I can't seem to do maths. I know this sounds stupid, but bear with me. I've found maths difficult as long as I can remember, but in A-levels it finally started to come together. I went from an E (in FSMQ, 2008) to A (in C1, C2 and S1, 2009) and got Bs or above in C3, C4 and S2, and got an A overall in 2010.

However, since coming to university it all seems to have gone to ****. I am in a top-5 university (which will remain nameless) studying their flagship Engineering degree. I've been here less than a year and it's already going badly.

You're probably thinking that you need to be red-hot on maths to be good at Engineering, right? Well you're wrong. I'm finding all of my modules challenging, but mostly enjoyable and doable, except two modules which are basically pure maths, which are like banging my head against a brick wall. All of the others I'm really enjoying - I'm finding that the more work I put into them, the more fun and interesting they become, and the more I enjoy the lectures. Except, you guessed it, the maths ones.

The university has two mathematics modules, one designed for people who did further maths and another for people who didn't. Due to other factors, I've been put in the former group despite the fact I did only C1, C2, C3, C4 and S1 and S2 at Alevel.

I've spoken to second-years about this (I'm first) and they said simply that you have to "put the hours in". I've been trying that all year, and getting nowhere, and ending up totally demotivated and depressed. It's made worse by the fact that most of the rest of the cohort are finding it too easy. All of the bad modules say they only have A-level C1, C2, C3 and C4 as pre-requisite, but all those that excel seem to have done M1 and M2, and in some cases M3 and M4, D1 and D2 and FP1 and FP2.

My personal tutor is no help at all, he takes the attitude that, seeing as other people in my situation are not having problems, I also shouldn't be.
    There is obviously a problem, as one of the modules I am having problems with is being discontinued for freshers starting 2011.

The reason I posted this in H&R, as opposed to another more appropriate forum, is because this is beginning to cause me to become very depressed and is affecting my other modules, which I usually enjoy, and is beginning to affect other areas of my life. Also, this is being compounded by other problems I have (though not ones I'd feel comfortable speaking about, even while posting as anon).

Rant over. Advice, anyone?
    Use your university support services aside from your tutor. Go to each lecturer directly or to head of department. Your tutors response is completely inadequate. They deserve reprimanding and they will only get this if you report it. Talk to your VP education at your students union if necessary. Youre paying your 3 grand a year and part of that is for a personal tutor which you are not receiving. Hope it works out for you, but I can safely say that after 3 years I hate ****ing engineering

ReputationRep:
    you need to go back to basics! keep trying and it will come together (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry off topic but do you by any chance go to Warwick uni?

ReputationRep:
    could you get a friend on your course to help you?..

ReputationRep:
    Wait has Maths Dumped you ?
    *notes sub-forum*

EDIT:NVM,read your last para.

ReputationRep:
    Dude if it's the coursework you're struggling with than PM me and i got a perfect solution for you.

If it's the exam you're struggling with than i also got a solution for that and PM me if you want to know.

Don't stress yourself over this BS degree, you have got more important things in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    What is it about that description makes you two think of Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    ok you just made me really worried for next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    I'm curious: any reason for asking that?

ReputationRep:
    I did a joint honours with one half in Maths, so I think I can sympathise. It can be a little intimidating but after a year and half, it kind of clicked for me.

You should try and get used to notation and understand what it means. In fact, you should strive be able explain the equation, forumalae, or whatever else it is that you're reading in words. Once you can read your problem like a sentence, that's kind of half of the battle. I hope that makes sense.

Obviously, apart from this, just keep practicing problems, and try to understand how solutions are set up so that you can deal with similar questions later.

ReputationRep:
    it's called being azn mate.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.