Turn on thread page Beta

Fat people who say they can't lose weight.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    *Sigh* What if somebody lost both thier parents in an accident, leaving them completely on thier own at 15, but of course if they were somehow "upset" about that, and used something to make themselves feel better, they would be weak right?

I would rather speak to someone when im depressed. I'd rather be having life and taking your mind off the subject, rather than obsessing about food all the time.

One of my friends from my old school found his dad dead in the morning after a serious heart attack in the night. 2 weeks later he was in school, I could tell he was really upset but he carried on.

ReputationRep:
    Put down the fork? You do realise that some overweight people do have issues which prevent them from 'putting down the fork' as you put it. Some of them will have some sort of eating disorder you know, it's not only slim people who have those you know.

As you can see by my sig, myself I am overweight. This comment isn't from a biased point of view because I genuinely just like food and I got a bit lazy and stopped exercising a couple of years ago. I thought I should mention this before people tell me to stop making excuses - i'm not making excuses for myself. BUT there will be some people with reasons why they can't.

Some people comfort eat, they have a terrible life and turn to food for comfort. Classic example, person eats food, person feels ****ty for eating food, person turns back to food for comfort and the whole cycle starts again.

Some will have medical conditions which will make losing weight harder.

Some will be downright lazy and can't be bothered putting the effort in to lose weight.

Some may be quite content being fat. I've heard some people say they felt better in themselves and more confident when they were overweight.

I think it's downright ignorant to say things like 'put down the fork' without knowing the full facts first. Thats like telling somebody anorexic to stuff their face - they can't for mental barriers.

ReputationRep:
    To fools who say its a MEDICAL CONDITION you are an idiot, the only exception is those who cannot control eating so much.
    Aside from those people (and other conditions). Fatties are lazy stupid people who are a burden on society.
    As for the argument that its in your genes, those born in poverty are exactly the same, they have inherited something out of their control but they deal with it because they are stuck with it. same with those who inherit genetic illnesses, they deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    But theyre only fat due to medical conditions, gawd. :rolleyes:

I accept some people genuinely have medical conditions, but it's a very small minority! Im fed up of the excuses; eat a balanced diet, do some exercises and stop relying on cars for short journeys. That's not exactly difficult.

Oh and another excuse is 'I dont have enough time', funny how everyone else can manage isnt it!
    Not true actually. I have slim friends who eat nothing but crap, take aways, chocolate, you name it. And they do no exercise. Whereas i'm 2 dress sizes bigger than them, I don't eat anywhere near as much junk as they do. So no, not everyone does manage the time thing, some people are blessed with a body good enough not to put weight on. Just because someone is slim does not necessarily mean they find the time to exercise.

Believe it or not, exercise takes a lot of time you know. I have to do 2 hours, 5-6 days a week, everyday. Thats 12 hours gone. Now I can manage that at the minute because i'm at uni, obviously I have a lot of spare time. But if someone is a mother running around after kids, or has a tonne of housework to do after a long days work, then no, I don't think they should be expected to find time to lose weight. They are entitled to put their feet up you know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I would rather speak to someone when im depressed. I'd rather be having life and taking your mind off the subject, rather than obsessing about food all the time.

One of my friends from my old school found his dad dead in the morning after a serious heart attack in the night. 2 weeks later he was in school, I could tell he was really upset but he carried on.
    :rolleyes: thats you though. Not everyone will be like you. Everyone is different you know.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    a routine eye test revealed a problem with Sarah Little's brain.

I read that as: "Sarah's little brain" and was like
    Strange, I thought it said that too untill I read your next sentance :eek:

ReputationRep:
    losing 2 stone in 3 weeks in ridiculously unhealthy. Just pointing that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    Good for you, you have fun with that, not everyone has somebody to talk to/cant open up to people

Good for your friend, everyone handles things differently, you absolute berk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Obviously it's difficult to lose the weight - otherwise there wouldn't be so many fat people. My opinion is that it is no excuse though. If you are a little overweight then I can see you motivation to lose it may be quite low, but there is no excuse for obese people to stay obese because it's "hard" to lose it. It's just laziness.
    umm not always just LAZY. quite a few obese people i would expect have eating disorders (binge eating) which feeds a viscous cycle of binging& self-loathing which can be very hard to break and easy to slip back into when they fall off the dieting bandwaggon. And like I said, sugar addiction is a powerful thing..I still think these people can help themselves, but they might just need a few extra pointers and delicacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    Are simply not motivated enough and looking for an easy handout from the NHS in the form of a gastric bypass or other bribes from misguided government initiatives. They should be told in no uncertain terms to not keep wasting doctors times.

Now have a look at this woman, a model of conscientiousness and intelligence, from the Daily Mail. She lost 2 stones in 3 weeks, but here and everywhere there are fat lazy people moaning they can't get their arse in gear, put down the fork and lose the blubber. If she can do it, anyone can, being properly motivated.
    QFT

If you really want to lose weight, you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Not true actually. I have slim friends who eat nothing but crap, take aways, chocolate, you name it. And they do no exercise. Whereas i'm 2 dress sizes bigger than them, I don't eat anywhere near as much junk as they do. So no, not everyone does manage the time thing, some people are blessed with a body good enough not to put weight on. Just because someone is slim does not necessarily mean they find the time to exercise.

Believe it or not, exercise takes a lot of time you know. I have to do 2 hours, 5-6 days a week, everyday. Thats 12 hours gone. Now I can manage that at the minute because i'm at uni, obviously I have a lot of spare time. But if someone is a mother running around after kids, or has a tonne of housework to do after a long days work, then no, I don't think they should be expected to find time to lose weight. They are entitled to put their feet up you know!
    Do you really know how much these people eat, trust me so many people say they eat loads when they really dont! Plus if its true they will be 'skinny fat' which isnt exactly nice tbh. Maybe they walk more, or actually exercise without telling anyone?

Seriously, Diet is more important than exercise anyway. and i dont mean eating like 1000 calories a day. A truly balanced diet, eating breakfast etc.

I have an athletic body and the only exercise I do is walk the dog before college, cycling once a week and rugby twice a week. It doesnt take that much time and i have loads of time to relax even though I am in college 9 - 5. Even things like walking rather than driving, washing the dishes and ironing burn calories.

Also things like Tabata sprints:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/ Its a 4 minute workout that will probably benefit you more than what you are doing now. It doesnt have to be sprints - it can be anything eg skipping, boxing cycling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    Do you really know how much these people eat, trust me so many people say they eat loads when they really dont! Plus if its true they will be 'skinny fat' which isnt exactly nice tbh. Maybe they walk more, or actually exercise without telling anyone?

Seriously, Diet is more important than exercise anyway. and i dont mean eating like 1000 calories a day. A truly balanced diet, eating breakfast etc.

I have an athletic body and the only exercise I do is walk the dog before college, cycling once a week and rugby twice a week. It doesnt take that much time and i have loads of time to relax even though I am in college 9 - 5. Even things like walking rather than driving, washing the dishes and ironing burn calories.

Also things like Tabata sprints:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/ Its a 4 minute workout that will probably benefit you more than what you are doing now. It doesnt have to be sprints - it can be anything eg skipping, boxing cycling
    Nope. I had a friend who ate 6 cheeseburgers in McDonalds in a row, obviously with fries and a drink. This is after she had food in the cinema. And she the size of a stick, I think she was an 6-8 at that point. No fat on her at all, she amazed me.

Another friend of mine when she goes to the shop she buys multiple bars of chocolate. Has dominos every week. Has Nandos, Pizza Hut, Chinese on a weekly basis (goes out a lot with her boyfriend), and she's a size 12. Now I know some people might oh a size 12 is chubby, well she's tall so its not chubby at all. Looking at her, I would of thought she was a size 8. She has a tiny fraction of fat.

Neither of them do exercise, they were my best mates, I knew them inside out.

I disagree. Diet is important yes, but in my experience it doesn't help lose weight. Not without exercise. I stopped exercising a couple of weeks because I couldn't keep it up with all my work, I lost no weight in those weeks, then as soon as I started the exercise up again, the scales went down. I've heard loads of people say that you can lose weight purely though a balanced diet, well for some people thats bull**** - that approach does nothing for me. And I eat a well balanced diet these days on an average of 1400-1600 calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caprisun!)
    There are medical conditions you insensitive moron.
    How many of them actually have medical conditions though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    umm not always just LAZY. quite a few obese people i would expect have eating disorders (binge eating) which feeds a viscous cycle of binging& self-loathing which can be very hard to break and easy to slip back into when they fall off the dieting bandwaggon. And like I said, sugar addiction is a powerful thing..I still think these people can help themselves, but they might just need a few extra pointers and delicacy.
    Yeah, I was generalising there. There are many people who are ill but they are in a minority.

I agree, although I've managed to refrain from putting on weight so far, sugar is HIGHLY addictive! In my experience that doesn't help though, if they can't be bothered to sort themselves out then being delicate is just going to compound that - and they know full well that they need to eat less and exercise more.

Unlike I few people on here I'm not angry at them, I just pity them. Yes it is hard, but it's definitely possible. If they put in the effort they could easily be at a healthy weight within a year. They may have a "natural disposition" to be lazy but people may have natural dispositions to violence etc. and that's never an excuse, so I don't accept it as one in this case.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think there's something very unhealthy about someone losing two stone in three weeks. That's really quite extreme.
    Whilst a lot of obese people should lose weight, for the sake of their health if nothing else, I don't think it should be as quick as she did it. She needed to for a medical condition in which time was of the essence, but I think for most obese people it's not as easy, and normally when they lost the weight that quickly it's because of starving themselves along with easing into moderate excercise, and by losing the weight that way, it just makes it more likely it'll go back on when they eventually have to start eating again, for the sake of their health. A bit of a vicious cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I had a friend who ate 6 cheeseburgers in McDonalds in a row, obviously with fries and a drink. This is after she had food in the cinema. And she the size of a stick, I think she was an 6-8 at that point. No fat on her at all, she amazed me.

Another friend of mine when she goes to the shop she buys multiple bars of chocolate. Has dominos every week. Has Nandos, Pizza Hut, Chinese on a weekly basis (goes out a lot with her boyfriend), and she's a size 12. Now I know some people might oh a size 12 is chubby, well she's tall so its not chubby at all. Looking at her, I would of thought she was a size 8. She has a tiny fraction of fat.

Neither of them do exercise, they were my best mates, I knew them inside out.

I disagree. Diet is important yes, but in my experience it doesn't help lose weight. Not without exercise. I stopped exercising a couple of weeks because I couldn't keep it up with all my work, I lost no weight in those weeks, then as soon as I started the exercise up again, the scales went down. I've heard loads of people say that you can lose weight purely though a balanced diet, well for some people thats bull**** - that approach does nothing for me. And I eat a well balanced diet these days on an average of 1400-1600 calories.
    Fair enough, but seriously not that many are like that!

Once again fair enough for you, but most people find that exercise + crap diet = no weight loss. Also the type of exercise is really important. For example running at a steady pace for an hour takes up a lot of time, whereas using High Intensity Interval Training can get the same (if not better) results in less time.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are so insensitive :|

I personally know two "fat" girls that eat fine and do dance numerous times a week. It depends on your metabolism. It also depends on what you define as fat. For some people, it literally just is too difficult for them to lose weight, and doing all the exercise and diet planning and the horrible controlled regime of it all just makes some people increasingly unhappy. I'm not typically classed as "fat" but I have fat on me and I'm not what would be considered as slim, and whenever I try to lose weight I fail miserably, and it just doesn't work. Even if I exercise 4 days a week (which is the most I can fit in to my time) and eat well and all the rest, the best it does is improve my stamina and makes me feel healthier. There're never any obvious physical results. It's all fine and well for everyone else to say "well try harder then, do more". I absolutely hate exercise, doing it makes me unhappy and frustated, and I don't want to make myself feel that way just to make everyone else happy. Get over it, some people are just born that way. The only way that I could be slim is if I never ate anything nice ever again and exercised hurrendous amounts every day. It's just not realistic, and anyone that goes to those extremes are just being stupid trying to please a load of hypocritical s**ts who think they're all amazing because they can just sit around and do minimal and still stay slim.

Some people literally just have terrible metabolisms. It really pisses me off when people are like "well try harder then, you're obviously just not doing enough and sitting around eating cake all day". You f*cking try having my body for a while and see how you cope with it.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who went to fat camp last year for like 20 grand. was 24 stone when he went, 16 when he came back
    a year and a half later hes 26 stone.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends as i am overweight but i couldnt possibly fit any more sport into my week and rarely eat as i have very little time to so its usually snacks. My weight was consistant for the last 3 years then all of a sudden the last few months its started dropping off. I understand your point but you have to look at it from a wider view. I come from a small island and despite being overweight i have played badminton and hockey for the island.

ReputationRep:
    It's maybe a little concerning, then, that the fat isn't sitting on her hips. I'd imagine it's probably doing a bit of a Dulux job on the inside of her blood vessels.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.