Turn on thread page Beta

Fat people who say they can't lose weight.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swoleman)
    But people with medical consitions are vastly outnumbered by fatties that dont. They whine about how they cant lose weight yet they sit watching hours of TV eating buckets of ice cream and pizza and blame it on slow metabolism or their ****ty genes.
    Again that's morons response. The educated way to look at it is to ask yourself why the patient is lazy, why do they sit front of the tv, why do they eat loads?

Do that as a good clinician should and you may well find there's an underlying cause be it low self-esteem to exercise, poor eating habits, depression preventing them from actually carrying out everyday activities.

Thankfully you're not a clinician.

ReputationRep:
    Renton from trainspottings says it best: 'Ah dinnae buy all this s**t about it being a glandular or metabolic thing.....d'ye see any fat f***in' people fae etheopia? nae? do they not have glands ower thair?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Fast and slow metabolism do exist, and do affect the ease at which you lose weight, me dear old mum used to be a personal fitness trainer, think she knows a little better than you bro, but by all means keep believing you know it all

Also...
    Sure the rate of metabolism fluctuates on a daily basis but not the extent that it would vastly increase weight gain etc. Also, the vast majority of personal trainers know **** all sorry to say, they base most of their methods around training fads, for instance the 'in' thing now is bosu balls and stability balls. That is a load of ****. Next you will tell me that women shouldnt lift more than 5lb or they will become bulky and masculine. And I bet I know a lot more about fitness than your mother.

And nah brah, u jelly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swoleman)
    Sure the rate of metabolism fluctuates on a daily basis but not the extent that it would vastly increase weight gain etc. Also, the vast majority of personal trainers know **** all sorry to say, they base most of their methods around training fads, for instance the 'in' thing now is bosu balls and stability balls. That is a load of ****. Next you will tell me that women shouldnt lift more than 5lb or they will become bulky and masculine. And I bet I know a lot more about fitness than your mother.
    And nah brah, u jelly?
    Hey look, it's a kid who goes to the gym a bit and thinks he knows everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Hey look, it's a kid who goes to the gym a bit and thinks he knows everything
    4 Years of reading around plenty of fitness forums / books and conversing with the best (eg scooby) means I probably know a lot more than you think.
    Ask me a fitness related question and I shall help you with it good sir.

ReputationRep:
    lol @ fat people

ReputationRep:
    There are some people in this thread making some very ignorant claims in their posts, such as "99% of fat people are fat because they stuff their faces, but won't admit it to themselves".

ReputationRep:
    Okay well the first thing is that this lady is an extreme case. Not many people would be able to lose that much weight in such a short amount of time, and nor would it be safe to.

However, I used to be one of those "fat people" who was convinced there was something wrong with me because I found it hard to lose weight. Then I went on a PROPER diet/exercise regime and realise that it's not hard for ME, it's just hard in general. For everyone. But it's something that requires effort and will benefit your long term health.

Lost 21lbs now since January, and I'm very proud of that fact Still got a long way to go, but I'm living proof that it IS possible to lose weight, even if you might think you can't.

I do know that people may have medical conditions, but for the majority it's just needing the knowledge about how to go about losing the weight, and getting the motivation to do so.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the problem with this is people like you.

The way people say 'put down the fork' make it sound as if that is the only factor and that it's that easy. People try that and give up because it doesn't happen fast enough. So they try quick fix diets which are absolute crap. Some give up entirely because they come across guys like you that talk about them as dirt rather than people - of course they're unmotivated, if you make someone feel that crap about themselves then they're going to turn around and ask what the point is.

That example is ridiculous. That isn't a healthy amount to lose in such a short time.

People just need to realise that you don't need a diet, you need a lifestyle change. They need to know that it is slow progress, but slow is the best in terms of health and that you can still have tasty & filling meals.

It's only ever going to work if they're motivated themselves. If you're unmotivated and trying to lose it, you'll fail. They need to find what motivates them.

They also need people to stop acting so crappy towards them. You can recognise the health risks and talk about losing weight and motivation without making overweight people sound so marginalised.

Promoting health positively would work so much better than just making the unhealthy feel bad about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Most fat people are that way because of mental health, like me.

I'm fat because I was unhappy as a child due to events I don't want to go into on here. That unhappiness continued into my teenage years and became depression and an anxiety disorder. Food became my comfort - I didnt have friends, so I relied on eating, or hugs from my mum, to keep me happy. We couldn't afford exercise - I'm also disabled and spent PE being bullied by staff and students.

With eating becomes weight - and I can remember looking in the mirror and hating, despising what I saw - so much that I landed up self harming, losing all interest in my self and living entirely for others. I've spent therapy now trying to learn how to like myself and take care of myself. It's not easy but I'm sort of there.

Promoting health better, as someone's already posted would be more help, than making us feel worse about ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    SO many negative ratings. The overweight people of TSR are out in force on this one.

I feel the majoirty of overweight people are due to pure laziness but i do feel for some people with dietry requirements they geniunly do need to eat more complicated carboyhydrates to stay healthy.
    I do not agree however with the excuse 'I have an addiction to food that i can't help'. An addiction is NOT an excuse. You can work to fight addiction, and apply this additive personality to something productive such as excercise or acheiving life goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    Are simply not motivated enough and looking for an easy handout from the NHS in the form of a gastric bypass or other bribes from misguided government initiatives. They should be told in no uncertain terms to not keep wasting doctors times.

Now have a look at this woman, a model of conscientiousness and intelligence, from the Daily Mail. She lost 2 stones in 3 weeks, but here and everywhere there are fat lazy people moaning they can't get their arse in gear, put down the fork and lose the blubber. If she can do it, anyone can, being properly motivated.

I got diagnosed with this same condition in January, and have since lost 3 stone.

Tried losing weight countless times previous to this, I'd stick at a diet for a month or so, not really get anywhere with it and then give it up.

For most people what they need to lose weight is motivation, believe me nothing made me more motivated to lose weight than being told in no uncertain terms that unless I lost weight I would lose my eyesight.

ReputationRep:
    She didn't lose 2 stone in 3 weeks.....that's mental. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Eating too much bad foods is not an illness its a life choice, people often say 'i dont have time to go to the gym' but then sit in work chatting about each soap and gok related fashion show they managed to fit into their busy schedule last night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    a routine eye test revealed a problem with Sarah Little's brain.

I read that as: "Sarah's little brain" and was like
    loool same :lol:

btw, i agree with the OP to some extent, many people do just need to get off there bums and jog it off - but some people are genuinely like that because of medical conditions - so maybe not generalise to all fat people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    lost 2 stones in 3 week.
    A healthy example for us all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If they were motivated, they wouldn't be fatties in the first place.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.