Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm new on TSR; I need some advice I am in Lower 6th, doing Biology, English Lit, History A levels and Drama AS. I think I really want to pursue a career in medicine, but I have a couple of problems:

- good unis want chemistry A level which I hear is really hard
    - I could do a foundation year for medicine but maths gcse at at least B seems necessary everywhere I look- I got a C at GCSE

what could I do? Should I resit my maths GCSE and restart 6th form to get decent GCSE maths and A level chemistry? Should I just do maths GCSE resit and go on a foundation year? Or should I try to aim for a scientific degree then just apply after for medicine somewhere?

Thanks for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    well i think re-sitting maths GCSE would be helpful but arent the entry for exams/re-sits passed?

its a shame u decided to choose medicine so late in the sixth form, i presume?
    chemistry may be hard but dont let that put u off- it will lessen ur restriction when u apply to uni's
    im not really sure what to say about the chem
    could u take a gap year/apply when ur a grad? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't M require 3 out of Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Physics with Chemistry as strictly compulsory? I've never heard of people getting into it with only biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScheduleII)
    Doesn't M require 3 out of Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Physics with Chemistry as strictly compulsory? I've never heard of people getting into it with only biology.
    Chemistry is a necessity, Biology not always so and they are only really looking for Maths to a good GCSE level.

If you were to do ASs in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Chemistry and take three of those to A-level, you would probably find it easier though. But it's not impossible.

The other option is a course with a foundation year they'll give you the science you need!

ReputationRep:
    resit maths GCSE....and tbh anything else you have that is a C or below at GCSE

you need to do chemistry to at least AS level to have any real chance IMO

and I'm not sure about this....but if you "restart" 6th form, that may mean you are doing A levels in 3 years....which no uni will accept....

ReputationRep:
    If you restart sixth you will need to pick 4 new AS levels, one of which will be Chemistry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.