Turn on thread page Beta

Good evening people,

It’s a sad fact of life that I’ve been reduced to venting out my problems on TSR, but here goes …

Currently, I’m in the final few months of year 13 preparing for my A-levels, completing coursework and praying that my grades will be good enough to ensure me a place in university. Year 13 has passed by so quickly that I can barely believe it and in less than 6th months, I will be leaving my old time friends and meeting a whole new group of people – I don’t think I’ve quite got my mind around that fact yet.

Looking to the present however, I find myself in an uneasy and difficult social situation. After the Christmas break, and the round of January exams I began to sense that soon, the friends I have were going to part their ways. Instead of drawing me closer to them, I’m feeling increasingly detached and ambivalent towards my friends.

A number of changes that have taken place over the last three months have pushed me to the periphery, but I feel horribly guilty at times – its as if I’m incapable of appreciating friendships with interesting and brilliant people and naturally, at the back of my mind I do worry that this is the beginning of a pattern.

I spoke to my older sister (who is currently in university) and she reckoned that the way I’m feeling is natural – the result of being on the precipice of a massive life change, stating that she felt the same way as I did when in the final year of sixth form.

I’m not really looking for answers or solutions to my dilemma, I doubt that there are any … just does anyone feel the same way?

Thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    But but but I wanted to give an answer to your dilemma :cry:

(Original post by Fight-or-Flight)
    But but but I wanted to give an answer to your dilemma :cry:
    If you can answer, I'd be real happy :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m not really looking for answers or solutions to my dilemma, I doubt that there are any … just does anyone feel the same way?
    I felt exactly the same. The further i got through the year the more detached i got from my friends. I'm at uni now and i do still keep in touch with some of them but others i dont because it just felt like time to move on.

(Original post by Wings27)
    I felt exactly the same. The further i got through the year the more detached i got from my friends. I'm at uni now and i do still keep in touch with some of them but others i dont because it just felt like time to move on.
    And it's easy to make friends/connections in university? I'm not really worried about drifting away from people but I'm just worried its the beginning of a wider social pattern?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    And it's easy to make friends/connections in university? I'm not really worried about drifting away from people but I'm just worried its the beginning of a wider social pattern?
    If you put in the effort then it isn't that hard. It took me a while to do that but now i've met some really great people. Well think about why you're 'drifting' away now, is it because you dont have as much in common etc with your friends anymore? or it is because you want to avoid people? If its the first answer then you'll be fine once you mix with lots of new people. If its the second then that may be more of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't isolate your school friends if you're really close now just because you think you might grow apart - I'm still as close with most of mine - it's amazing what Facebook/texting can do plus you're home for an awful lot of time in holidays.
    There have been times where I've really really appreciated my home friends - just because in the first few weeks you still don't know uni people that well and it's great to be able to have someone to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    definitely feel the same way. It's kind of sad but I guess this is growing up? And good times with new friends are sure to be in the future!!

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many people like to suffer in advance? Enjoy things now and worry about it when you have to!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.