Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh seriously don't read too many threads about what freshers week will be, or might be, or wont be. If you don't like drinking, freshers week will be boring for you, but you should have realised that if you're moving out to halls away from your home. If you like drinking, and your university is half decent, it will be one of the best weeks of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink much either.. and i'm REEALLY shy. I'm so nervous! :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama-beans)
    Basically, yes.
    Though some universities try to cater to non-drinkers so there should be stuff to do. My university kinda messed that up this year so every single night was a club night. Though there was a bowling trip on one afternoon...
    Well that's just great ..not to mention i'll probably be ending up at the same university you're at.
    I do go out (clubs or whatever) but dont drink - hopefully i'll find away around it so that my flatmates dont think i'm a party pooper.

ReputationRep:
    Its probably the toughest part of the whole year... just because everything is new and your going to feel very homesick.

BUT, afterwards, when everything settles down you will have the best time of your life!
    Freshers is just the beginning and the beginning is always tough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Well that's just great ..not to mention i'll probably be ending up at the same university you're at.
    I do go out (clubs or whatever) but dont drink - hopefully i'll find away around it so that my flatmates dont think i'm a party pooper.
    There was a bit of a scandal going on with Freshers week this year, about how alcohol-centred it was, so it should be totally different for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama-beans)
    There was a bit of a scandal going on with Freshers week this year, about how alcohol-centred it was, so it should be totally different for you.
    let's hope so :five:

Get your act together Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Hectic.
    You'll meet a lot of people, and forget all of their names.
    You'll drink a lot and go out a lot - provided you get stuck in and buy tickets to events.
    Its a big mixture of emotions because you are (probably) somewhere new, without anyone you know - so just make sure you are friendly, open and up for fun. Whether its the pub/club/cinema/dinner - whatever, just make sure you get stuck in.
    You will have plenty of time in the year to make good friends, but since it is the first week/couple of weeks and the workload isnt that ridiculous, just let your hair down and have a good time.

Its not the sex-filled, crazy party that people make it out to be, but it can be a good time if you try - you are the one who makes your university experience, not other people! So the same applies to freshers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.2.3.)
    are the friends you make in freshers the ones you stick with throughout the year?
    nahhh, theres only 1 person who i met in freshers who's like now one of my best mates the rest of the people i met in freshers week i never heard from again, i cant even remember what they look like :rofl:

Also freshers week is like really going clubbing everyday and obviously lots of alcohol involved :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlobofro)
    i dont drink and yh i can be quite shy sometimes around strangers but i still managed to make good frends at uni everyone's gonna be on the same boat so theres nothing to worry about mate

ReputationRep:
    rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Awkward as hell IMO and no reflection of the rest of your time at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't drink much, and I've always been really shy. Buuut I stood outside the induction for my course (25 minutes early, how like me) and saw two guys chatting and sort of invited myself into the conversation. Then the girl beside me invited herself too. And now we're all really good friends, some more people from the course found their way into the group, and one of the first guys is now my boyfriend.

It really can be that easy. Uni is just so different from school, I remember being amazed by how easy and natural it felt to just chat to random people for the first time ever...

ReputationRep:
    Fresher's week is sooo overhyped it's untrue! The sad thing is, if you didn't overhype it, you'd probably have a really good time as you wouldn't be disappointed

I see loads of topics on this forum saying that people are worried about making friends, but then seem to think that "fresher's week" is the university equivalent of waving a magic wand that will make everyone immensely popular with lots of friends, and sex on tap whenever they want it.

Trust me, stories like that are very much the minority.

That being said, the close friends I made during fresher's week are still my close friends now, but there were only about 5/6 of them, as opposed to the HUNDREDS that most people seem to think they're going to make.

Go into it with an open mind. Remember that you can have a laugh, go clubbing, have a bit of a drink, talk to people.. but don't over-hype it'll seem rubbish if you do xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    I didn't drink much, and I've always been really shy. Buuut I stood outside the induction for my course (25 minutes early, how like me) and saw two guys chatting and sort of invited myself into the conversation. Then the girl beside me invited herself too. And now we're all really good friends, some more people from the course found their way into the group, and one of the first guys is now my boyfriend.

It really can be that easy. Uni is just so different from school, I remember being amazed by how easy and natural it felt to just chat to random people for the first time ever...
    Thankyou that's so encouraging I'm rather excited now ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou that's so encouraging I'm rather excited now ^_^
    Good Do you know which uni you're going to yet?

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink but I live just outside of Blackpool so get dragged out to town A LOT Lol. A night is what you make of it surely? I have a laugh but don't get sozzled, freshers can't be that different can it?

ReputationRep:
    Freshers was a bit meh, as far as I'm concerned. On the first night, I got very drunk and made lots of new friends... and then spent the rest of the night trying to prevent one of said new friends choking on her own vomit and making sure she was sick into a bucket, not into her bed.

And then I had to be in a lecture theatre at 9am the morning after for an introduction to the course and uni... I've never seen a room full of such zombified, ill looking people.

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't wait to go to Uni! And I think Freshers is going to be awesome I do enjoy drinking, but am a lightweight so will have to spread my drinks out a bit :rolleyes: Another bonus is I don't get hangovers! Should save me some paracetamol and toilet cleaner Worst I've ever had is a minor headache. Damn, why is freshers still 5 months away????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.2.3.)
    are the friends you make in freshers the ones you stick with throughout the year?
    Hah, no. Maybe one or two of them... but most people you meet you will never see or speak to again!

ReputationRep:
    Overrated, but I did have fun. The buzz, excitement and meeting tonnes of new people is nice, but don't expect to keep in touch with/remember more then 10% of them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.