Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the alternative that The March for the Alternative marched for? I know this seems facetious but what is this alternative? I've seen website after website, pamphlet after pamphlet about why the cuts are wrong, why they're going to trash the delicate recovery but I've only seen one or two articles about an alternative. I've not seen any costed, referenced and sourced material on what could be done instead of the austerity programme.

Does anyone have any ideas themselves, any links or any thing, at all?

(Original post by Norfolkadam)
    What is the alternative that The March for the Alternative marched for? I know this seems facetious but what is this alternative? I've seen website after website, pamphlet after pamphlet about why the cuts are wrong, why they're going to trash the delicate recovery but I've only seen one or two articles about an alternative. I've not seen any costed, referenced and sourced material on what could be done instead of the austerity programme.

Agreed. All talk, no action.

I saw posters saying "scrap Trident"; I really don't think it's as easy as they make it out to be.

If they're think they're so great, why don't they stand for election? Why don't they run the country?

Bunch of arrogant tossers. And for those who are working in the public sector in the march - this country needs to save money. Of course services will be cut. Yes OP, I agree, what is this "alternative"?

I didn't want this to turn into a protester-bashing thread (God know's there's enough of those around). I want some genuine answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)

Protests and pamphlets don't tend to change opinion, they are usually attended and produced only by those who support the cause, and largely ignored by those who don't.

The only factual argument for and against a cause is that we now know around 400,000 people protested against 'da Tory Cuts'. And more than half of those were made up of habitual protesters, anti-Tory morons or those whipped up by trade union leaders.

I think sometimes when the cost of Police overtime, injuries and damages are given to the public, who in the end has to pay for all this additional mess, some people may actually become opposed (or more opposed) to the cause. The point (such as it is) has now been made, we don't need any more marches or pamphlets or placards.

The entire country has learned the previously unknown and valuable lesson that people don't like their services being cut.

I mean, who would have guessed?

If there was any viable alternative to the cuts being made, don't you think the Labour leadership would be shouting it from the rooftops? But they aren't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Most seem to suggest tax rises and clamping down on tax avoidance. The first is not desirable and will cause damage to the economy. The second is already being done.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, borrow more and attempt to spend our way out through more jobs such as Infrastructure improvements/constructions ect. Such an idea would bring Benefits down while bringing Tax in. Only problem is in the short term thats going to really increase the deficit and pile on the debt.

ReputationRep:
    A very good proposal was that of UK uncut, they suggested that the money saved from the cuts could easily be generated by clamping down on corporate tax loopholes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    A very good proposal was that of UK uncut, they suggested that the money saved from the cuts could easily be generated by clamping down on corporate tax loopholes.
    So, in other words, raise tax on businesses where specifically targeted exemptions have previously been granted, usually with good reason? Great idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    So, in other words, raise tax on businesses where specifically targeted exemptions have previously been granted, usually with good reason? Great idea.
    they exploit loopholes

ReputationRep:
    Jusging by last night's Newsnight interview, "UK uncut" are nothing more than a bunch of moronic thugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Jusging by last night's Newsnight interview, "UK uncut" are nothing more than a bunch of moronic thugs.
    the power of the media. they are actually an entirely peaceful organisation.

ReputationRep:
    the power of the media. they are actually an entirely peaceful organisation.
    My *******s they are. How come the woman refused pointblank to condemn the violence in London then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    My *******s they are. How come the woman refused pointblank to condemn the violence in London then?
    That's her choice. I have never committed criminal damage and never would, yet I still sympathise with those who did and understand their anger.

ReputationRep:
    they exploit loopholes
    Yes, you're supposed to exploit opportunities - perhaps this is where you've been falling down all these years.

ReputationRep:
    The great thing about media coverage is that if you give someone enough rope, they'll usually hang themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you could raise taxes that will reduce the amount the private sector has for investment, the amount of money their workers receive and how far that money will go.

You could print money off, debasing our currency and making inflation sky-rocket, causing horrific damage to our reputation, credit rating, wealth and so on.

You could harp on about governments not closing loopholes. I mean seriously, cash strapped governments not taking politically popular decisions to claim taxes from the fat-cats? Oh come on, if it was plausible, beneficial, legal or just plain possible they'd have already done it.

You could put your head in the sand and leave the deficit for the time being under the guise of Keynesian economics. You'll still have to follow one of the above, but you get to do it later.

There's your alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)

You could harp on about governments not closing loopholes. I mean seriously, cash strapped governments not taking politically popular decisions to claim legitimate taxes from the fat-cats? Oh come on, if it was plausible, beneficial, legal or just plain possible they'd have already done it.

No they wouldn't have, these politicians are in the pockets of big business, they do as they are told.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else think that gareth is slowly turning into an Essex version of Martyn?

ReputationRep:
    No they wouldn't have, these politicians are in the pockets of big business, they do as they are told.
    Thanks for the platitude.

ReputationRep:
    Your British government is so silly. I don't know why they don't just shoot all the protesters with a giant laser. The death toll alone will aid unemployment.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.