Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get over liking one of your best friends? Watch

Before I even start, I'm sorry for making one of these threads :pinch: also sorry for the slight ramble-y ness of it...

ANYWAY, so to set the scene: Uni - in the first week or so of my new course I randomly end up sitting next to the same guy in a couple of lectures. Turns out he's also in the same lab sessions as me for some of them, so we partner up.
    By the end of 2 terms, we're really really good friends. I'd go as far as to say he's one of my best uni friends. We don't live anywhere near each other, so don't see each other much (we both skip lectures and labs a lot of the time), but we meet up for coffee/go for lunch/hang out pretty much once a week.

Now the background on him: He is currently in an open relationship with a long term girlfriend (they've been seeing each other for around 2 years in total now however the open nature of their relationship means that they both knowingly get with other people). When it comes to relationships, I guess he's a bit of a **** / player /whatever - he's a uni level sportsman, and is very very attractive so has no difficulty getting what he wants (I guess you could say he uses girls). Despite this, on a day-to-day friendship level, he's a great guy, and I love having him as a friend.

For ages I didn't fancy him, he was just a great guy friend, however recently I've had to admit to myself that I've actually developed a big big thing for him. I DON'T want anything to happen between us - there would be no future to it due to his attitude towards girls, and his long term girlfriend, and I don't want to just be yet another addition to his portfolio of 'girls I've got with'.

SO I guess my question is how can I get over liking this guy? Because I love our friendship, and I want to squash this stupid little thing of mine so I can get on with being friends without constantly wanting him, but NOT wanting him at the same time... if you understand where I'm coming from? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Meet someone new

/thread

(Original post by a_t)
    Meet someone new

/thread
    Due to various factors, I can't see this happening any time soon. Any intermediary fixes for the situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Due to various factors, I can't see this happening any time soon. Any intermediary fixes for the situation?
    No, go out more, be chatty and talk to guys

Unless you meet someone new you'll just pine over this guy and get what us guys call oneitus when we just obsess over one girl because we think she's oh so special just because we haven't got close in enough to see the flaws yet

(Original post by a_t)
    No, go out more, be chatty and talk to guys

Unless you meet someone new you'll just pine over this guy and get what us guys call oneitus when we just obsess over one girl because we think she's oh so special just because we haven't got close in enough to see the flaws yet
    To be honest I guess I knew that was the answer, but I really can't see myself meeting someone new for a while at least - I'm at home for Easter, and so all the people I'll come into contact with are just long term friends... definitely nothing happening there :p:
    Oh well. Just man up and get on with life I guess. thanks anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.