Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I occassionally post threads on here about assistance in applying as an estranged student, as i have been estranged from my parents for around 7 years, and therefore i have to apply around this time every year, posting social services letters and various other information (i am applying for my final third year at the moment).

I just felt i would post this as i am interested in what other estranged students have to say/what they feel on the following matter...

We all understand why so much extensive evidence regarding peoples situations that have led to estrangement etc. has to be provided to SFE; to prevent those trying to make false claims for financial support that they are not deserving of, but does any one find it emotionally difficult around this time every year when applying/re applying due to having to revisit unpleasant events that have led to your estrangement? I know this may be uncomfortable to answer, but i personally after going through all my evidence and posting it etc. am feeling emotionally exhausted...

Does any one think sfe could put in place a more sensitive system?

This is just to get peoples opinions, i am not looking for right or wrong answers, i am just interested and it may provide people in this 'category' with a sense of affinity,

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    It does seem silly that you have to do it more than once. It's fairly obvious that if those were the circumstances in the first year, it would be the same for your second, third, fourth and whatever else year after that. There should definitely be an option to say that your circumstances are the same and nothing has changed. I'm sure that for my second and third year I didn't have to resend through info on my parents income I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    It does seem silly that you have to do it more than once. It's fairly obvious that if those were the circumstances in the first year, it would be the same for your second, third, fourth and whatever else year after that. There should definitely be an option to say that your circumstances are the same and nothing has changed. I'm sure that for my second and third year I didn't have to resend through info on my parents income I don't think.
    They advised that once i provided it all on the first year i wouldn't need to again, but they still send letters requesting the evidence to prove that your circumstances are still the same. I agree with you that would work once you provided it once, you shouldnt need to again. Yet i think they should just start giving consistent information as this would benefit anyone in any situation! Thanks for your post

ReputationRep:
    As tough as it may be, SFE's system is right. Circumstances do change, and while it is unlikely in some cases, it does happen. Estrangement is only awarded on a yaerly basis due to this, and there's no real solution around it I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know how one applies for finance as a student estranged from one's family. My parents are not expected to make any contribution towards my expenses as they do not have a sufficiently high income. It is still necessary, however, that they submit their details to prove this to be the case. I started my application in the hope of persuading them to do so. But it's now clear that they won't cooperate. (They and I have been on bad terms for a while...)

I have heard, however, that one can also be classified as an independent student if one can prove an estrangement to exist. How would I go about applying in this way? Do any of you have any helpful info?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoejoanna)
    I'd like to know how one applies for finance as a student estranged from one's family. My parents are not expected to make any contribution towards my expenses as they do not have a sufficiently high income. It is still necessary, however, that they submit their details to prove this to be the case. I started my application in the hope of persuading them to do so. But it's now clear that they won't cooperate. (They and I have been on bad terms for a while...)

I have heard, however, that one can also be classified as an independent student if one can prove an estrangement to exist. How would I go about applying in this way? Do any of you have any helpful info?
    Student finance guidelines state that you can not deem yourself as estranged just because your parents won't provide details or just because you don't get along with your parents. There has to have been a significant breakdown in the relationship leading to your estrangement, and you have to have not been in touch for 12 months prior to starting your course.

This is why they require a letter from a reputable person with some standing in the community, e.g. police, social worker or a doctor.

This is why they ask people like myself who have had involvement with bodies such as social services etc. as a result of a major breakdown in family relationship, to provide this evidence, and to prevent people who are not genuinely estranged getting the support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    As tough as it may be, SFE's system is right. Circumstances do change, and while it is unlikely in some cases, it does happen. Estrangement is only awarded on a yaerly basis due to this, and there's no real solution around it I'm afraid.
    Thank you for your input Taiko, I of course understand why they do this. It would be nice if people wouldn't try to claim estrangement when they are not in fact estranged, because then it would make it more simple for genuine applicants. I was advised that I would only have to supply my social services evidence (along with the other mountain of evidence) i send once...did it used to be this way or is this something that has just started?

ReputationRep:
    A close friend of mine really should be 'estranged', her family is awful and still haven't sorted out her student finance docs for this, her first year!

ReputationRep:
    Really, if you were looked after by an authority, it should only be the once that it needs to be submitted. That bit is actually in the regulations. It's where social services aren't involved that lots of evidence is asked for, and more proof should be asked each year.

As you say, it's mainly because so many people claim to be estranged when they are by choice that makes it difficult for those who are genuinely estranged to apply in that manner. It's unfortunately a bad part of society, and it would be your fellow students needing to take some of the blame for that.

ReputationRep:
    What about just being 'estranged' from one parent? Is that an option if one refuses to cooperate but another does?

And what about if you want to be estranged but one of your parents doesn't want you to be estranged? My father is a very controlling man, that is what I'm trying to escape, but student financial support is making that impossible atm.

University should be about freeing yourself from an unpleasant past and carving a great future for yourself, not going over events that you'd rather forget and move on from.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.