Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Smoke weed everyday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junebug32)
    I've firmed as well! Neocon, are you an American?

Frogit, I'm trying to choose between the Conduct of War, Experience of War, and Causes of War for my joint-honours schedule. Seeing as I can only pick one of the three, which would you recommend? Would you mind sharing a few of the books used in Causes of War and Experience of War, especially? Both seemed very interesting, but I wasn't able to find a reading list other than the general "BA" one on the website
    Should have done full honours mate, half the people doing joint are transferring to full for the 2nd year. To be honest it depends on what you are interested in. I found experience the most interesting as it covers a lot of material that you otherwise wouldn't cover. Books for experience vary quite a bit as it dips in and out over a lot of history. The Face of Battle by John Keegan is pretty good, as is War by Sebastian Junger.

Causes is good but it's mostly theoretical so is less riveting and is more to do with understanding and hence I found it less interesting. Key books for causes are probably the Globalization of Modern Politics (I forget by whom) and Man, State and War by Waltzer.

Conduct is good but we had a dull professor for most of the year, but again, it's what you make of it.

A good book to get that gives a good overview of the course is War by Lawrence Freedman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogit5)
    Should have done full honours mate, half the people doing joint are transferring to full for the 2nd year. To be honest it depends on what you are interested in. I found experience the most interesting as it covers a lot of material that you otherwise wouldn't cover. Books for experience vary quite a bit as it dips in and out over a lot of history. The Face of Battle by John Keegan is pretty good, as is War by Sebastian Junger.

Causes is good but it's mostly theoretical so is less riveting and is more to do with understanding and hence I found it less interesting. Key books for causes are probably the Globalization of Modern Politics (I forget by whom) and Man, State and War by Waltzer.

Conduct is good but we had a dull professor for most of the year, but again, it's what you make of it.

A good book to get that gives a good overview of the course is War by Lawrence Freedman.
    Thanks, that was very helpful! It sounds like "Experience" may be more interesting, but "Causes" may be more useful later on, as it gives you the proper theoretical background needed for later modules. Oh, and why do so many people switch from joint to full honors? Is it because the course is so interesting, or the employment prospects for full honors are better?

What have you heard about employment prospects, btw? From what I understand, the British gov't has very close ties with Kings but, as an international, I would probably need to look at the private sector. As the website is a bit vague, I'm very curious about the sorts of jobs people tend to take on after graduating!

ReputationRep:
    Done of ya'll smoking that sticky icky icky eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2nd_slip)
    Done of ya'll smoking that sticky icky icky eh?
    :bl:

ReputationRep:
    I meant do ya'll, not done.

ReputationRep:
    everyone whos firmed should join the kcl freshers 2011-12 facebook page if they aren't already there!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...65665336805417

ReputationRep:
    I've just firmed an unconditional to do a joint honours in War Studies and History. Seriously looking forward to it, and thinking about accommodation at the moment... Where are you guys thinking of applying? The intercollegiate halls look like such a great location, although I would prefer not to be self catered...
    I think any other questions/worries have been answered in this thread!

Thanks for all the information, and see you in September...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zevers)
    I've just firmed an unconditional to do a joint honours in War Studies and History. Seriously looking forward to it, and thinking about accommodation at the moment... Where are you guys thinking of applying? The intercollegiate halls look like such a great location, although I would prefer not to be self catered...
    I think any other questions/worries have been answered in this thread!

Thanks for all the information, and see you in September...
    I'm definitely going for intercollegiate halls- the location and room standards seem much nicer than KCL's, and I really like the idea of being with students from across UofL! And no worries, they are catered- only KCL's accomodation is self-catered

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.