Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If they sexy, where was my invite at.

ReputationRep:
    I go with however he felt most comfortable, so naked it is. Just because the person's dead doesn't mean we should disrespect their corpse. Doesn't show a whole lot of affection for the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    My uncle was a nudist; he recently died and, as such, is going to need a funeral.

I think the family should respect his nudism and have him without clothes in the casket, with a fig tastefully and comically arranged to protect the innocent ... but other members of the family think his beliefs don't matter anymore because he's dead and won't care whether he was buried with or without clothes.

Anyone got any input? He left the decision to the whole family (he had no wife or kids), so we have to decide one way or another. I think it might end up being clothed for the funeral, but nude for the burial, more's the pity.
    Assuming that you uncle was in full possession of his mental faculities, it's not quite clear to me why he would have left the decision to the whole family. He can't have been indifferent about whether he would be naked or clothed during his funeral: surely he expressed some preference. Your post suggests that he would have preferred the naked option, as he was a nudist by inclination and practice. It was considerate of him to give the family the option of over-riding his implied preference,but is democracy really the best system in a situation like this?
    He knew he wouldn't have a postumous casting vote so I hope there won't be the unfortunate outcome of a stalemate, with half the family voting for a nude corpse and the other half for a fully clothed one.The fig leaf would be a reasonable compromise, in my opinion, but the whole thing begs the question of whose benefit the funeral is for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omadeli)
    If they sexy, where was my invite at.
    It's a fifty-seven year old man - still want an invite?

ReputationRep:
    By nudist you mean? Like beaches for nudists or an everyday thing? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    The man would have wanted you all as naked as the day you were born, walking single file past the coffin, and slapping your members onto the side of the coffin, out of respect. Please..do this for him.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was rare to have an open casket, is it necessary in this case? Keep the coffin closed and then you don't risk potentially offending people with a dead man's privates.

ReputationRep:
    I just had a mental image of a nudist funeral ceremony and found it difficult to fathom how anybody could take that situation seriously. Fortunately, that is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    By nudist you mean? Like beaches for nudists or an everyday thing? Just curious.
    All the time. I mean, he'd put a dressing gown on if kids came to visit - he wasn't a paedo - but other than that, all the time.

(Original post by OBAG09L)
    I thought it was rare to have an open casket, is it necessary in this case? Keep the coffin closed and then you don't risk potentially offending people with a dead man's privates.
    Open caskets are the norm in our culture.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fifty-seven year old man - still want an invite?
    O shhhhhhhit LOOOL daaaamn didn't know that! *quietly leaves wedding*

ReputationRep:
    he's dead. Why does it matter; not like he will know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omadeli)
    O shhhhhhhit LOOOL daaaamn didn't know that! *quietly leaves wedding*
    Funeral. So fifty-seven year old dead man.

ReputationRep:
    awkward turtle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    he's dead. Why does it matter; not like he will know
    That was the argument. Fortunately, we've had a family meeting and are going with naked in the casket, with his private area tastefully covered by a fig leaf.

ReputationRep:
    but in all seriousness i think its only right to respect what he would have wanted
    i know how un sympathetic family members can be though with others beliefs

ReputationRep:
    Aren't most open caskets only open from the waist up... so surely his bits would only be seen if you were really looking?

If that's the case, I'd say naked away.

ReputationRep:
    Funeral. So fifty-seven year old dead man.
    Arggggh LOOOL how bad does this look now... I just saw nudist in the thread and I was like YEEEAH! kinda regret that now... :/ R.I.P 57 yr old!

ReputationRep:
    That was the argument. Fortunately, we've had a family meeting and are going with naked in the casket, with his private area tastefully covered by a fig leaf.
    :yy: Just how he would have liked it.

Nudity is sooo underrated

ReputationRep:
    i say bury him naked. he was a nudist and would probably want to be buried naked, as long as you cover his bits tastefully (though i do like the idea of the leaf if that was his kind of humour) then cant see the problem, though for a second i was worried that it was going to be a naked funeral.

ReputationRep:
    Well he can't have been that bothered if he didn't stipulate which it should have been, but yes I'd err on the side of caution and bury him naked!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.