Turn on thread page Beta

Nearly crashed my car... watch

ReputationRep:
    So i was cruising home about 20 minutes ago, some other dude was driving quite slowly so I was behind them for a few miles. Then when I was about 5 minutes from my house, I see a big old lorry on the other side of the road. I was expecting the person in front of me to slow down a bit, so I braked a bit; but instead they completely stopped their car. This took me by suprise so it sook me a second to react and then I realised I was going way too fast to stop without hitting them.

I am so bloody lucky because there was a grass verge type thing to my left, so I pulled my car in there. If there was a wall or bushes or something I would've been ****ed...

Then I pulled off, a bit shaken as standard, and drove super slowly, way behind this car that I had nearly crashed into (mainly out of embarrassment).

Yer I just wanted to get it off my chest I guess.

Also INB4 'women drivers'

ReputationRep:
    Well as long as you don't let it make you a nervous driver all is well with the world.

ReputationRep:
    What an idiot they are should have given some warning to you!

ReputationRep:
    So they like emergency stopped? How come you didn't see it, were you looking at the lorry? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    So they like emergency stopped? How come you didn't see it, were you looking at the lorry? lol
    Good question. Yer I may well have been looking at the lorry actually; it did look pretty sexy...

ReputationRep:
    Women drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    Good question. Yer I may well have been looking at the lorry actually; it did look pretty sexy...
    Haha. Some fat old guy nearly drove into my car today, I nearly got my peashooter out and shot him in the head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Haha. Some fat old guy nearly drove into my car today, I nearly got my peashooter out and shot him in the head.
    I find it strange that I never learn my lesson. Literally 80% of the time I stop I nearly crash into the person in front of me. I'm such a bad driver it's ridiculous...

ReputationRep:
    I got my first speeding ticket the other day for going 37 in a 30. It was one of those police speed van things that park on the side of the road. I'll now either get 3 points and a £60 fine, or, if I'm lucky, the offer of a driving safety course that would wipe out the points and the fine, but cost me £80 pounds to go on, which is a bit **** as don't have a proper job at the moment and I'm running out of money to pay for my car insurance. Bloody harsh if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Were you right up the other cars ass? I hate it when people do that to me, they leave like a 2-3 meter gap as if they are trying to force me to go faster. If I brake suddenly, they would go into the back of me. You're supposed to leave a 2 second gap between you and the car infront, a 4 second gap if it's wet, and an 8 second gap if it's icy/snowy. If you were following the "2 second rule" then you would have had plenty of time to see what was going on and break.

(Original post by Oswald Mosley)
    I got my first speeding ticket the other day for going 37 in a 30. It was one of those police speed van things that park on the side of the road. I'll now either get 3 points and a £60 fine, or, if I'm lucky, the offer of a driving safety course that would wipe out the points and the fine, but cost me £80 pounds to go on, which is a bit **** as don't have a proper job at the moment and I'm running out of money to pay for my car insurance. Bloody harsh if you ask me.
    Not really harsh. You were speeding, so you got fined. If you were doing 33-34mph then yeah it would be a little harsh, but you were going well over.

I have nearly crashed about 50 times since getting my car. About 5 mins ago I went at a junction but lazy steered on the wrong side of the road and a Camr I didn't expect came. Luckily I steered just in time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    I have nearly crashed about 50 times since getting my car. About 5 mins ago I went at a junction but lazy steered on the wrong side of the road and a Camr I didn't expect came. Luckily I steered just in time
    Did you really have to bump a 4 year old thread?

Anyway, young and inexperienced drivers (not all) tend to have a lot of near misses, but then blame everyone else but them. They don't see their own mistakes and are too busy pointing the finger. Of course if you don't think you're doing anything wrong, you're not going to improve.

The best tip I'd give to new drivers is, if you have a near miss, think back what you could have done to avoid it. Even if it looks like it was another drivers mistake, chances are you could have done something too. I've found having this attitude improved my driving a lot. No one should be having near miss after near miss after near miss. If that's the case, chances are it's your driving that's the problem. And sooner or later that near miss is going to turn into a hit.

Edit: Just read my post back and realised how much of a geek I sound. But my point still stands!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    So i was cruising home about 20 minutes ago, some other dude was driving quite slowly so I was behind them for a few miles. Then when I was about 5 minutes from my house, I see a big old lorry on the other side of the road. I was expecting the person in front of me to slow down a bit, so I braked a bit; but instead they completely stopped their car. This took me by suprise so it sook me a second to react and then I realised I was going way too fast to stop without hitting them.

I am so bloody lucky because there was a grass verge type thing to my left, so I pulled my car in there. If there was a wall or bushes or something I would've been ****ed...

Then I pulled off, a bit shaken as standard, and drove super slowly, way behind this car that I had nearly crashed into (mainly out of embarrassment).

Yer I just wanted to get it off my chest I guess.

Also INB4 'women drivers'
    I hear tea is what many native brits drink in times like these have a cup maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    Did you really have to bump a 4 year old thread?

Anyway, young and inexperienced drivers (not all) tend to have a lot of near misses, but then blame everyone else but them. They don't see their own mistakes and are too busy pointing the finger. Of course if you don't think you're doing anything wrong, you're not going to improve.

The best tip I'd give to new drivers is, if you have a near miss, think back what you could have done to avoid it. Even if it looks like it was another drivers mistake, chances are you could have done something too. I've found having this attitude improved my driving a lot. No one should be having near miss after near miss after near miss. If that's the case, chances are it's your driving that's the problem. And sooner or later that near miss is going to turn into a hit.

Edit: Just read my post back and realised how much of a geek I sound. But my point still stands!
    So how do I prevent these near misses occurring? Drive slower?

ReputationRep:
    So how do I prevent these near misses occurring? Drive slower?
    How about pay attention? Someone could have colliding head on with you just because you couldn't be bothered to drive properly.

(Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    How about pay attention? Someone could have colliding head on with you just because you couldn't be bothered to drive properly.
    kk

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.