Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My Life Is Over watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well based on the negs for my previous post, some people clearly don't get sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    The OP is delusional.

You can go to any of those universities you just mentioned and get a good degree. If you put in the hard work its likely you'll end up with a 1st or a 2:1.

Once you have achieved either your 1st or a 2:1 you can then apply to more highly ranked universities to do a Masters degree.

I have actually been finding out about such things myself today and I have been told by Southampton, York and Loughborough that if I achieve a 1st or 2:1 on my undergraduate course that I can then apply to do a postgraduate with them and I will be considered as I will have met the minimum entry requirements.

The cost of a Masters is not much to be honest, to some it is but if you really want it, you'll put in the hard work and save as much as you can to do so.

Other people have to do it, so should you! I think your attitude towards those institutions is highly disrespectful and the only reason you can only apply for them and not a more highly regarded institution is because of your own doing by not achieving the grades to go to the top universities.

Maybe if you had put a bit more in, you'd have been able to go to one of the top uni's!

Seriously, what is wrong with going to one of those universities and then doing a Masters at another university (one that is of suitable ranking for you) ?

If anything, you'll end up with an Honours from one institution and a Masters from another. Its what im doing and I'll love every moment of my time at Aberystwyth, where I'll do my undergraduate degree and whatever university I choose to do my Masters at. I could even stay at Aber but it depends as I might need to do my Masters near a place of work.

Your attitude is very bad to be honest and if I were the admissions staff at those universities I'd give your place to someone who values it a lot more and will try and achieve the best they can at that institution, rather than dismiss it because its not as good as they hoped for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Yes and I was 2% away from an A in one. I don't want to go to CCC (no offence to any who do go there)
    well tbh if you might have to if you keep saying you have no other options
    it might mean the course will be less intense so your'll get a better chance of getting a 1st
    I looked into a BCC uni (St Marys Twickenham) and it has one of the highest graduate employment in the country, so it all depends on what you get at the end of it. Very few people care about what uni you get your degree from anymore because so many people choose unis for reasons other than how prestigious it. I know a girl who got AAA and was accepted into Leicester and Birmingham but she chose to go to Coventry because she preferred the city. Employers take things like that into account. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiliee21)
    well tbh if you might have to if you keep saying you have no other options
    it might mean the course will be less intense so your'll get a better chance of getting a 1st
    I looked into a BCC uni (St Marys Twickenham) and it has one of the highest graduate employment in the country, so it all depends on what you get at the end of it. Very few people care about what uni you get your degree from anymore because so many people choose unis for reasons other than how prestigious it. I know a girl who got AAA and was accepted into Leicester and Birmingham but she chose to go to Coventry because she preferred the city. Employers take things like that into account. x
    I don't care what employers think, it's what I think. I don't want a mediocre university stamped across my record. It's the top or none, and we all know the answer; and as such, I can't go anywhere. I can't even get a basic job.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what employers think, it's what I think. I don't want a mediocre university stamped across my record. It's the top or none, and we all know the answer; and as such, I can't go anywhere. I can't even get a basic job.
    Basic jobs require being in the right place at the right time, its nothing to do with academic standards. and if its top universities or nothing unfortunately your going to have to pull your socks and resit a 6th form (all the top ones want 3 alevels unfortunatly, mostly AAB/AAA). If you dont think you could try any harder or do any better than youve already done then maybe your just not capable and you need to stop looking at the prestige of a university because it is out of your grasp and look at one which you are capable of getting into, no one cares about which uni you go to so why should you care?

And if it really is top or none and your not willing to retake 6th form/ improve your grades then you better start filling out a Mcdonalds application. Mcdonalds crew member, yes it does sound alot better stamped across your record than a 1st from the university of reading/ bath spa/ Brunel etc

ReputationRep:
    Basic jobs require being in the right place at the right time, its nothing to do with academic standards. and if its top universities or nothing unfortunately your going to have to pull your socks and resit a 6th form (all the top ones want 3 alevels unfortunatly, mostly AAB/AAA). If you dont think you could try any harder or do any better than youve already done then maybe your just not capable and you need to stop looking at the prestige of a university because it is out of your grasp and look at one which you are capable of getting into, no one cares about which uni you go to so why should you care?

And if it really is top or none and your not willing to retake 6th form/ improve your grades then you better start filling out a Mcdonalds application. Mcdonalds crew member, yes it does sound alot better stamped across your record than a 1st from the university of reading/ bath spa/ Brunel etc
    I already have. They rejected me.

No, re-sitting is out of the question. As it is, I'll be a minimum of 21 by the time I start with bunch of 18 year olds whose only agenda is to get blind drunk. I hate people, I hate drinking, I hate parties. So bearing that in mind, nevermind the grades, I think I've decided against university.

ReputationRep:
    I already have. They rejected me.

No, re-sitting is out of the question. As it is, I'll be a minimum of 21 by the time I start with bunch of 18 year olds whose only agenda is to get blind drunk. I hate people, I hate drinking, I hate parties. So bearing that in mind, nevermind the grades, I think I've decided against university.
    well good luck finding a job. I don't know why you don't just swallow your pride and go to a university which isn't considered one of the top. surely you would have more dignity than giving up altogether. You sound like you would be ashamed to go to a uni which you don't need really high qualifications to, but isn't that better than having a job the rest of your life which you need no qualifications to get? people will just view you as a 16 year old drop out.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you......16/17? My advice is to chill out love.

When i was in year 12 (age 16), i royally F'ed up my life by smoking loads of weed, staying out all night and only doing the bare minimum to not get kicked out of college. Long story short........ i eventually quit college and got a ****ty low paid & low skilled job in a warehouse. I was a complete waster, and a right prick to boot!

BUT...by the time i reached 19, i was a totally different person! More mature, more ambitious, and way more enthusiastic about my future and realising my full potencial. So i went back to college (night school) and did 3 A levels in 1 year. My results were AAB and i went straight to university that September age 20. I graduated last summer and now i'm doing me masters - happy days!

My main point is.........whether you're in year 12 or 13, it doesn't really matter. If your current module results are not to your liking, just take them again next May. Or take the summer off and take them again next January. Just keep retaking them again & again until you get the results you need. There's no right or wrong pathway to travelling through the educational system, and there's definitely no rush to get to Uni.

If you feel your results aren't good enough, then put off going to uni for a year, and retake the modules that need higher scores. Plus, it's so much better going to uni later when you're 2 or 3 years older than everybody. Trust me!

ReputationRep:
    You're a ****ing mong, a lot of those uni's are in the top 50 at least. There's no shame in going to one of them, just get a 2.1 it doesn't matter where you get it from. At the end of the day a degree's a degree :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    i saw the start of this thread a few hours ago and cba to read through pages and pages of depression. has she let on what links all those unis yet?

ReputationRep:
    well good luck finding a job. I don't know why you don't just swallow your pride and go to a university which isn't considered one of the top. surely you would have more dignity than giving up altogether. You sound like you would be ashamed to go to a uni which you don't need really high qualifications to, but isn't that better than having a job the rest of your life which you need no qualifications to get? people will just view you as a 16 year old drop out.
    I'm 19 years old and I'm not a drop out; more, a cop-out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el scampio)
    How old are you......16/17? My advice is to chill out love.

When i was in year 12 (age 16), i royally F'ed up my life by smoking loads of weed, staying out all night and only doing the bare minimum to not get kicked out of college. Long story short........ i eventually quit college and got a ****ty low paid & low skilled job in a warehouse. I was a complete waster, and a right prick to boot!

BUT...by the time i reached 19, i was a totally different person! More mature, more ambitious, and way more enthusiastic about my future and realising my full potencial. So i went back to college (night school) and did 3 A levels in 1 year. My results were AAB and i went straight to university that September age 20. I graduated last summer and now i'm doing me masters - happy days!

My main point is.........whether you're in year 12 or 13, it doesn't really matter. If your current module results are not to your liking, just take them again next May. Or take the summer off and take them again next January. Just keep retaking them again & again until you get the results you need. There's no right or wrong pathway to travelling through the educational system, and there's definitely no rush to get to Uni.

If you feel your results aren't good enough, then put off going to uni for a year, and retake the modules that need higher scores. Plus, it's so much better going to uni later when you're 2 or 3 years older than everybody. Trust me!
    I'm 19, and don't suggest to re-take modules. I've done two years of A Levels and retaken several exams several times. I left last July and cannot go back. I've taken two years 'out' although I think it's likely my life will be 'out'. If one re-takes and re-takes it just becomes cheating. I could go on re-taking until I'm 50. I disagree that it's better to go 2 or 3 years later; it's hard enough fitting in with people my own age, let alone 18 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, St Andrews, Warwick and several others, then it's not worth going to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 years old and I'm not a drop out; more, a cop-out.
    Yeah but thats how people will view you if you end up in a job you dont need qualifications for. Isnt getting a good degree from a good university alot better than that ? (there are many good universities which arent 'top' ones)
    TBH I don't think you would have lasted at one of the top unis, if you couldnt cope at A level and your willing to cop op when things get tough then you dont deserve to go to any prestigious institutes. You wouldn't have lasted with such intense courses.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but thats how people will view you if you end up in a job you dont need qualifications for. Isnt getting a good degree from a good university alot better than that ? (there are many good universities which arent 'top' ones)
    TBH I don't think you would have lasted at one of the top unis, if you couldnt cope at A level and your willing to cop op when things get tough then you dont deserve to go to any prestigious institutes. You wouldn't have lasted with such intense courses.
    I couldn't cope in any of them. In fact, you've convinced me; I'm not going to university.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked out that the following are the only universities I could possibly go to:

Aberdeen (English people can't survive in Scotland)
    Bath Spa
    Brunel
    Canterbury Christ Church
    Coventry
    Edinburgh (highly unlikely, and as above)
    Exeter Cornwall Campus (Unlikely)
    Queen Mary (Unlikely)
    Reading
    Winchester

I'm pretty much doomed to failure. I have an idea of exactly what I want to do if I were to graduate, but I'd always be beaten by those with better degrees. Sighhhh.....
    If this is your biggest problem in life you should count yourself lucky...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    If this is your biggest problem in life you should count yourself lucky...
    It's not.

ReputationRep:
    It's not.
    So why exactly is your life over then just because of a list of universities that you apparently don't want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't cope in any of them. In fact, you've convinced me; I'm not going to university.
    Glad I can be of help. At least now you no that education really isn't your thing. Try applying to places that look appealing to you (morrisons, tescos etc...) like once a week, then they are bound to consider you for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    So why exactly is your life over then just because of a list of universities that you apparently don't want to go to?
    There's no apparently about it - I don't want to go to them. A decent education might have salvaged something.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.