Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sponge357)
    this business of people with better degrees is rubbish.
    it doesn't matter WHERE you get your degree.. just that you get it! and there are are some good unis on that list... maybe not oxford and cambridge but like i said, a degree is a degree.
    there is also the possibility of foundation years? which is what im doing. easy acces to good universities..
    Oh yeah, so waste another year or two of my life (tbh, not a bad idea. my life as a whole is a waste)

So if I applied for this incredibly competitive internship and came up against someone with a degree from Oxford or Cambridge, you're telling me they'd pick me over them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Nonsense
    How so?

Like the above poster said, all that matters is that you get a degree, not the institution where you got it. The only one who is condescending towards certain universities is you.

Of course they aren't the "best" places, but who cares? Sometimes you have to make the most of what you have. Or else give up, which is clearly what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeekendOffender)
    How so?

Like the above poster said, all that matters is that you get a degree, not the institution where you got it. The only one who is condescending towards certain universities is you.

Of course they aren't the "best" places, but who cares? Sometimes you have to make the most of what you have. Or else give up, which is clearly what you want to do.
    What else is there to do? I'm ashamed of what's become of me. I've got nothing to my name to be proud of. Even getting into one of these universities is going to be a difficult task in itself. Then once there I doubt I'd be able to keep up with the workload, I don't get on with people so will spend three years on my own in a new town/city. End up with a **** degree, if any degree, and £27,000 worth of debt.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, so waste another year or two of my life (tbh, not a bad idea. my life as a whole is a waste)

So if I applied for this incredibly competitive internship and came up against someone with a degree from Oxford or Cambridge, you're telling me they'd pick me over them?
    dude, im only trying to give advice. calm down.
    and its not necessarily a waste of another year, infact its exactly what i am doing, i realised with my grades i couldn't get to the uni i really wanted to go to so i chose to do a foundation year which then gets me straight onto the degree i wanted all along.

for all you know the oxbridge person could have only just scraped their degree, got a **** personality and you could get a first at a reasonable standing uni and hey presto, internship is yours.

dont be so negative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sponge357)
    dude, im only trying to give advice. calm down.
    and its not necessarily a waste of another year, infact its exactly what i am doing, i realised with my grades i couldn't get to the uni i really wanted to go to so i chose to do a foundation year which then gets me straight onto the degree i wanted all along.

for all you know the oxbridge person could have only just scraped their degree, got a **** personality and you could get a first at a reasonable standing uni and hey presto, internship is yours.

dont be so negative
    I get so ****ing annoyed when people say employers take into consideration people's personality. It's not true. They couldn't give two shiny *****. Same thing for universities.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked out that the following are the only universities I could possibly go to:

Aberdeen (English people can't survive in Scotland)
    Bath Spa
    Brunel
    Canterbury Christ Church
    Coventry
    Edinburgh (highly unlikely, and as above)
    Exeter Cornwall Campus (Unlikely)
    Queen Mary (Unlikely)
    Reading
    Winchester

I'm pretty much doomed to failure. I have an idea of exactly what I want to do if I were to graduate, but I'd always be beaten by those with better degrees. Sighhhh.....
    It is certainly the case that ending your life can be preferable to living in Coventry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    It is certainly the case that ending your life can be preferable to living in Coventry.
    I'm earnestly contemplating suicide. I've tried more than most would to do something with my life and still nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    Cheer up, your life isn't over...

I managed to get into 3 "Russell group" unis: Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham this year with BCC at A level (Granted, I am on a gap year and re-sitting modules) but it's the predictions and personal statement that really matter.. alongside your determination to succeed and love for the subject!

Sitting around posting on TSR is not going to get you anywhere... and considering you have your future so well planned out, go back to school, get the grades and get to university.. your life is what you make it!

ReputationRep:
    They are victimised. I've heard this from so many.
    I seriously doubt that. In general, the scots are really friendly and will chat away to anyone, particularly those from Glasgow. I have friends from England, and apart from the odd joke here and there it's never even mentioned, and they certainely aren't victimised! So get over yourself, and stop being such a xenophobe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
    I seriously doubt that. In general, the scots are really friendly and will chat away to anyone, particularly those from Glasgow. I have friends from England, and apart from the odd joke here and there it's never even mentioned, and they certainely aren't victimised! So get over yourself, and stop being such a xenophobe.
    I'm not the xenophobe. I think of English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh as one and the same - we're all British, but that's sentiment is not mutual.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the xenophobe. I think of English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh as one and the same - we're all British, but that's sentiment is not mutual.
    So you know every single person in scotland do you? Or just jumping to conclusions and making untrue accusations?

ReputationRep:
    Quit yo jibbajabba yo aint hurt aint worth cryin fool time to feel that PAIN.

yeah quiet you drama queen.

THE SOLOUTION............
    http://www.army.mod.uk/

ReputationRep:
    So you know every single person in scotland do you? Or just jumping to conclusions and making untrue accusations?
    I know that's the general consensus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laujan3)
    Cheer up, your life isn't over...

I managed to get into 3 "Russell group" unis: Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham this year with BCC at A level (Granted, I am on a gap year and re-sitting modules) but it's the predictions and personal statement that really matter.. alongside your determination to succeed and love for the subject!

Sitting around posting on TSR is not going to get you anywhere... and considering you have your future so well planned out, go back to school, get the grades and get to university.. your life is what you make it!
    I bet it wasn't a competitive subject.

End of the day, everytime I've made an effort there's always been someone to knock me down, and in response to that you'll say that I just "get back up" and have to keep trying. Well there's only so many times one can do that. Why should I have to make so much more effort than everyone else to achieve less than them?

ReputationRep:
    I get so ****ing annoyed when people say employers take into consideration people's personality. It's not true. They couldn't give two shiny *****. Same thing for universities.
    Oh woops i forgot, Employers hold interviews just for jokes and to get some time off work. No. The same goes for universities, the admissions tutor barley reads your application etc when you arrive, its solely based on your impression as a person.

Im in Year 12 now and have realistically admitted that im not going to Oxbridge, but if I got an offer from edinburgh TO DO SOMETHING I LOVED DOING then i would be over the moon.

And we have been told all along that if you get accepted into all of your choices (unless their Oxbridge etc) then you haven't aimed high enough. Universities dont see if you have re-sit modules, and, seeing as you say you hate people, have you heard of the Open University??

Remember that 2000 No's and one Yes is still a yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1zza1)
    Oh woops i forgot, Employers hold interviews just for jokes and to get some time off work. No. The same goes for universities, the admissions tutor barley reads your application etc when you arrive, its solely based on your impression as a person.

Im in Year 12 now and have realistically admitted that im not going to Oxbridge, but if I got an offer from edinburgh TO DO SOMETHING I LOVED DOING then i would be over the moon.

And we have been told all along that if you get accepted into all of your choices (unless their Oxbridge etc) then you haven't aimed high enough. Universities dont see if you have re-sit modules, and, seeing as you say you hate people, have you heard of the Open University??

Remember that 2000 No's and one Yes is still a yes
    Actually, yes, they do hold interviews for 'jokes'. I've heard numerous stories from first hand sources that employers pretty much hire the person they are going to hire prior to the interview and just invite others to fill time.

Yes I have heard of it, but I am already doing an A Level through distance learning and it's not for me. 2000 nos - what are the chances that I am one of them? High.

ReputationRep:
    I know that's the general consensus.
    By the unfriendly, xenophobic English maybe. Have you qctually ever been to Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, yes, they do hold interviews for 'jokes'. I've heard numerous stories from first hand sources that employers pretty much hire the person they are going to hire prior to the interview and just invite others to fill time.

Yes I have heard of it, but I am already doing an A Level through distance learning and it's not for me. 2000 nos - what are the chances that I am one of them? High.
    Okay well these 'first hand sources' seem to be very reliable on that front then...

I dont think that you have really grasped what I am trying to say with that....
    and why are you determined to ignore everyones information about edinburgh??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1zza1)
    Okay well these 'first hand sources' seem to be very reliable on that front then...

I dont think that you have really grasped what I am trying to say with that....
    and why are you determined to ignore everyones information about edinburgh??
    I'm not. Edinburgh's not what it used to be, and even then it's unlikely I could get into it.

ReputationRep:
    By the unfriendly, xenophobic English maybe. Have you qctually ever been to Scotland?
    Don't need to, not necessarily Scottish people as a whole, but the universities.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.