Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    guys; he doesnt want to go to university. his standards are too high and he gives up too easily. you cant help him because he doesnt want you to help him.

ReputationRep:
    "My Life Is Over"
    Advice on Everyday Issues
    Well.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god.
    have some bloody optimism.
    how many unis are there in the country?
    how many of those are in the russel group?
    more people will be in what you might call a "lower" uni then there will be in the "top" ones.
    and the top ones are just due to down right snobbery.
    your basically saying that if you havn't gone to oxbridge your not getting a job.
    if you lose out on a job to an oxbridge person. big woop, they are probably down with the snobbery. apply some where else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Don't need to, not necessarily Scottish people as a whole, but the universities.
    So that's a no. Seeing as you don't seem to know any Scottish people, and have never even been to Scotland, your opinion is invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sponge357)
    oh my god.
    have some bloody optimism.
    how many unis are there in the country?
    how many of those are in the russel group?
    more people will be in what you might call a "lower" uni then there will be in the "top" ones.
    and the top ones are just due to down right snobbery.
    your basically saying that if you havn't gone to oxbridge your not getting a job.
    if you lose out on a job to an oxbridge person. big woop, they are probably down with the snobbery. apply some where else.
    That's exactly what I'm saying, and exactly what will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
    So that's a no. Seeing as you don't seem to know any Scottish people, and have never even been to Scotland, your opinion is invalid.
    I know lots of Scottish people, actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jendra9311)
    guys; he doesnt want to go to university. his standards are too high and he gives up too easily. you cant help him because he doesnt want you to help him.
    Don't be so mean.

ReputationRep:
    The Scots are a fine bunch. I'm English and know loads and really haven't got a bad word to say about them. Sure the rivalry in sport is often mentioned but the sort of people who hate each other based on nationality are pretty simple and in the minority.

The OP needs to get a grip and be thankful for the chances he/she has. A bit of self belief goes a long way in every aspect of life. Without that, no one would employ you anyway, even with top grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextheone)
    The Scots are a fine bunch. I'm English and know loads and really haven't got a bad word to say about them. Sure the rivalry in sport is often mentioned but the sort of people who hate each other based on nationality are pretty simple and in the minority.

The OP needs to get a grip and be thankful for the chances he/she has. A bit of self belief goes a long way in every aspect of life. Without that, no one would employ you anyway, even with top grades.
    I've never had any self belief nor had any from anyone else. No one's employing me now, so what's the point?!

And what chances? It's unlikely that I'd go to even those universities.

ReputationRep:
    I know lots of Scottish people, actually.
    And are they abusive towards you because of your nationality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
    And are they abusive towards you because of your nationality?
    It's okay because they are few and far between, but I dread to think what it would be like living in Scotland, surrounded by them. They'd look on English people as foreigners and treat them as such.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so mean.
    says the xenophobic pessimist who wont take advice and has a go at anyone who tries to be remotely helpful

presumably you wanted feedback on your situation or you wouldnt have posted here in a public domain - why do you refuse to listen to said feedback? you act like no-one else's opinions matter, which begs the question, why ask for thier opinion at all?

ReputationRep:
    says the xenophobic pessimist who wont take advice and has a go at anyone who tries to be remotely helpful

presumably you wanted feedback on your situation or you wouldnt have posted here in a public domain - why do you refuse to listen to said feedback? you act like no-one else's opinions matter, which begs the question, why ask for thier opinion at all?
    I'm not refusing help. It's hardly help unless you go and take exams for me and get me into a university (a good one)

Besides, I'm not having a go; just offering a differing view point (or a more realistic one) What's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    I've worked out that the following are the only universities I could possibly go to:

Aberdeen (English people can't survive in Scotland)
    Bath Spa
    Brunel
    Canterbury Christ Church
    Coventry
    Edinburgh (highly unlikely, and as above)
    Exeter Cornwall Campus (Unlikely)
    Queen Mary (Unlikely)
    Reading
    Winchester

I'm pretty much doomed to failure. I have an idea of exactly what I want to do if I were to graduate, but I'd always be beaten by those with better degrees. Sighhhh.....
    you suck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    you suck
    I know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not refusing help. It's hardly help unless you go and take exams for me and get me into a university (a good one)

Besides, I'm not having a go; just offering a differing view point (or a more realistic one) What's wrong with that?
    the point of view we are offering is that any degree is better than no degree. the point of view that you are offering is that if it is not an oxbridge degree, you as well join the shelf stackers now, because you have no other prospects.

if you want a realistic view, think of this - how many degree level jobs are there in the uk each year? how many oxbridge graduates are there each year? do you ACTUALLY think that EVERY SINGLE job requiring a degree will be filled by Oxbridge candidate? Seriously?

And help is what you make of it. Of course we can't sit your exams for you. But you have so many options besides the magical top15 universities that will somehow garuntee you a job. It was pointed out to a while ago that your original list of 'unacceptable' universities contain many top universities. But that wasn't good enough.

You need to get a grip mate.

ReputationRep:
    the point of view we are offering is that any degree is better than no degree. the point of view that you are offering is that if it is not an oxbridge degree, you as well join the shelf stackers now, because you have no other prospects.

if you want a realistic view, think of this - how many degree level jobs are there in the uk each year? how many oxbridge graduates are there each year? do you ACTUALLY think that EVERY SINGLE job requiring a degree will be filled by Oxbridge candidate? Seriously?

And help is what you make of it. Of course we can't sit your exams for you. But you have so many options besides the magical top15 universities that will somehow garuntee you a job. It was pointed out to a while ago that your original list of 'unacceptable' universities contain many top universities. But that wasn't good enough.

You need to get a grip mate.
    I'm not interested in whether it will automatically get me a job, I want a good university on my life record. Not to be seen as some brain-dead (although I am) that went to a pathetic excuse for a university. Oxbridge and the top 10 or so are the only ones worth going to, and that's pretty much a fact.

ReputationRep:
    no it's b****y well not a fact! there are very few universities that 'aren't worth' going to. mosst universities are the complete opposite of pathetic and full of students are very much brain alive.

you think all the private school rich kids that can afford to go to thier universities have more brains than we do? are WE all brain dead because we went to a university that wasn't among your sacred few?

ReputationRep:
    just wasted a min of my lifee

ReputationRep:
    no it's b****y well not a fact! there are very few universities that 'aren't worth' going to. mosst universities are the complete opposite of pathetic and full of students are very much brain alive.

you think all the private school rich kids that can afford to go to thier universities have more brains than we do? are WE all brain dead because we went to a university that wasn't among your sacred few?
    Doesn't matter if they paid to get there, at least they are there. Same way I resent going to a comprehensive when there were two grammars on the same street (one of which is one of the best in the country)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.