Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm self teaching AS maths (C1, C2 and D1) and I'm stuck on few questions. Mostly the questions at the end of the exercise which tend to be the harder ones.

I can't really ask my teacher as I'm a private candidate so I can only ask here.

(1{\frac{9}{16}}){\frac{3}{2}}

I've tried working it out by adding the fractions and then square rooting it.

Surds:

\sqrt{200}+ \sqrt{80}

do I just cancel it down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegum1992)
    I'm self teaching AS maths (C1, C2 and D1) and I'm stuck on few questions. Mostly the questions at the end of the exercise which tend to be the harder ones.

I can't really ask my teacher as I'm a private candidate so I can only ask here.

Surds:

\sqrt{200}+ \sqrt{80}

What's the question?

ReputationRep:

Surds:

\sqrt{200}+ \sqrt{80}

I think these questionare quite easy, I cud tell u how to do it, but u really need to think about it to get maximum benefit?! If u really tried lemme know ill go thru it!

ReputationRep:
    Is it to the power of 3/2?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I assume that these are "simplify" questions. For the first one, turn it into an improper fraction and use the fact that a^{\frac{m}{n}} = (\sqrt[n]{a})^{m}. For the second one, what are the factors of 200 and 80? Are any of these square numbers? So can you pull any of them out of the square root?

For example 12 = 4 \times 3 and 4 is a square number, so \sqrt{12} = \sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{3} = 2\sqrt{3}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I assume that these are "simplify" questions. For the first one, turn it into an improper fraction and use the fact that a^{\frac{m}{n}} = (\sqrt[n]{a})^{m}. For the second one, what are the factors of 200 and 80? Are any of these square numbers? So can you pull any of them out of the square root?

For example 12 = 4 \times 3 and 4 is a square number, so \sqrt{12} = \sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{3} = 2\sqrt{3}
    Yep these are simplify questions: I've worked it out and for the first question I got:

\frac{125}{64}}

and for the second one:

6\sqrt{5}
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Yep these are simplify questions: I've worked it out and for the first question I got:

\frac{125}{64}}

and for the second one:

6\sqrt{5}
    Your first answer's right but not your second one. Show your working and I'll show you where you're going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Your first answer's right but not your second one. Show your working and I'll show you where you're going wrong.
    The question I got stuck on was Square root of 20 + square root of 80. I made an typo in my first post.

Thanks for the help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.