Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

'Grinding' noise coming from upper back? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've suffered with muscular upper back pain for ages, probably due to my posture when I'm sitting at my desk or driving etc. I had my first back massage a few weeks ago which has helped a lot!

However today I've had a long day at the desk leaning over books etc. I started stretching my arms etc to get the blood flowing around my back or whatever it does and i noticed a soft 'grinding' noise.. in fact it's more like two pieces of paper sliding against each other.

I've been out kick boxing and came back & it's still doing it when i keep my spine straight and move my shoulders side to side, like a swimming motion. It doesn't hurt as I'm doing it. It's around the T3/4 region. It sounds like two vertebra sliding against each other? Anybody had this before or have any advice? I don't want to end up with arthritis tbh :/

Edit: I'm 21 yr old male, no medical history. Get a bit of knee pain now nd then tho :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Hi,

I've suffered with muscular upper back pain for ages, probably due to my posture when I'm sitting at my desk or driving etc. I had my first back massage a few weeks ago which has helped a lot!

However today I've had a long day at the desk leaning over books etc. I started stretching my arms etc to get the blood flowing around my back or whatever it does and i noticed a soft 'grinding' noise.. in fact it's more like two pieces of paper sliding against each other.

I've been out kick boxing and came back & it's still doing it when i keep my spine straight and move my shoulders side to side, like a swimming motion. It doesn't hurt as I'm doing it. It's around the T3/4 region. It sounds like two vertebra sliding against each other? Anybody had this before or have any advice? I don't want to end up with arthritis tbh :/

Edit: I'm 21 yr old male, no medical history. Get a bit of knee pain now nd then tho :s
    Hey!

I totally know how you feel, My lower back grinds as does my hip joints. I think the best thing to do would be to go to the doctors so that they can check it out I did that (however had other symptoms with my hips at the time)
    How long has this been hapening for?

I don't think you could get arthritis, however i'd still go and see your doctor. They sent me for Physiotherapy been having it for a bout a year and half now and its still helping me (a little) although they are focusing on my back so its like a free massage!!

I hope all goes welll for you!

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianelly)
    Hey!

I totally know how you feel, My lower back grinds as does my hip joints. I think the best thing to do would be to go to the doctors so that they can check it out I did that (however had other symptoms with my hips at the time)
    How long has this been hapening for?

I don't think you could get arthritis, however i'd still go and see your doctor. They sent me for Physiotherapy been having it for a bout a year and half now and its still helping me (a little) although they are focusing on my back so its like a free massage!!

I hope all goes welll for you!

xx
    Thanks :] I think I will, saves paying £25 for a massage (which hurts, but it's meant to apparently).

The 'grinding' in my back just started yesterday as far as im aware but only when i make a certain odd movement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Thanks :] I think I will, saves paying £25 for a massage (which hurts, but it's meant to apparently).

The 'grinding' in my back just started yesterday as far as im aware but only when i make a certain odd movement.
    Ahh mine started almost 2 years ago now! but i'm still not at the proper root cause of the problem.

Yeah, they get the knots out of your back for some reason I always feel really flexible afterwards haha!

I hope all will get better soon for you, hopefully it won't get any worse. If it does its best to go and see the doctor!

All the best

xx

ReputationRep:
    Go see a physio or chiropracter. Don't just expect a free massage though, they'll probably give you exercises to do!
    One thing that you can do whilst your sitting in a chair is link your hands and then lean back over the chair, might click your back out, or at least give you a good stretch in your back and get it in a bit of extension!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    Go see a physio or chiropracter. Don't just expect a free massage though, they'll probably give you exercises to do!
    One thing that you can do whilst your sitting in a chair is link your hands and then lean back over the chair, might click your back out, or at least give you a good stretch in your back and get it in a bit of extension!
    Oh your actually studying physiotherapy! How interesting - Yeah but sometimes it does feel like a free massage

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianelly)
    Oh your actually studying physiotherapy! How interesting - Yeah but sometimes it does feel like a free massage

xx
    Well it is a free massage if they do massage (obviously!), but physios tend to combine treatments and teach more self management stuff now- no point doing a massage for someone, if it just tightens back up within a week and they have to come back every week for the rest of their lives.
    But yeah, I enjoy the free massages when I get them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    Well it is a free massage if they do massage (obviously!), but physios tend to combine treatments and teach more self management stuff now- no point doing a massage for someone, if it just tightens back up within a week and they have to come back every week for the rest of their lives.
    But yeah, I enjoy the free massages when I get them!
    I completely agree! I've been having physio for about a year and half (for various reasons) however its tough! My back has already tightened up so I have to exercises at home but it really does work! I hope I won't have to have it.. but I think i'll be having it for a few more months!

I think everyone would enjoy a free massage!

xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.