Turn on thread page Beta

Roaccutane after suicide attempt. watch

Announcements

Late last year, I was going through a really difficult time. It all cumulated in November when I found out my girlfriend had been having a year long affair. I in a moment of madness took some pills and drink and was admitted to hospital. I haven't done anything of the like since and I don't feel suicidal.

However, my skin has started to get pretty bad, and I think because of all the useless treatment ive had for body acne, that roaccutane is the next step. However I've been reading that there's a link between roaccutane and suicide, given my stupid mistake 5 months ago, am I a "no go" for treatment and if so how long for?

no student doctors on tsr tonight? ethics and all that?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't roaccutane causes severe depression? Is it wise to take that after a suicidal attempt? Consult your GP and find something else. I myself am on Lymecycline, works pretty good.

(Original post by vpsycho)
    Doesn't roaccutane causes severe depression? Is it wise to take that after a suicidal attempt? Consult your GP and find something else. I myself am on Lymecycline, works pretty good.
    tried Lymecycline and It didnt work. Im at the end of my tether and want a more permanent solution, Im mixed race which means the spots leave pigment marks, I'm 23 now and Ive put up with it for long enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    tried Lymecycline and It didnt work. Im at the end of my tether and want a more permanent solution, Im mixed race which means the spots leave pigment marks, I'm 23 now and Ive put up with it for long enough.
    I'm not really sure if your GP will prescribe you with roaccutane, especially with your past depression. The only thing I can advise you on is that you try strong acne medication in combination with off-the-shelf products like I do. I use a blackhead clearing scrub and Quinoderm Face Wash twice each day (daily and before bed) along with my medication. Thanks to this routine I never gets spots anymore, and luckily the pigmentation marks seem to be wearing off. I even got a bit of acne scarring but I've been told that Bio-Oil works wells with this.

I highly advise you consult a GP/Dermatologist, but don't be surprised when they don't prescribe you roaccutane.

(Original post by vpsycho)
    I'm not really sure if your GP will prescribe you with roaccutane, especially with your past depression. The only thing I can advise you on is that you try strong acne medication in combination with off-the-shelf products like I do. I use a blackhead clearing scrub and Quinoderm Face Wash twice each day (daily and before bed) along with my medication. Thanks to this routine I never gets spots anymore, and luckily the pigmentation marks seem to be wearing off. I even got a bit of acne scarring but I've been told that Bio-Oil works wells with this.

I highly advise you consult a GP/Dermatologist, but don't be surprised when they don't prescribe you roaccutane.
    hmm I wouldn't mind so much but it's body acne on my back on arms so it's kinda hard with topical treatments. I've not been diagnosed with depression, it was a one off and I never went back, this was five months ago now.

ReputationRep:
    It's understandable why you're so frustrated about this, I myself have been getting spots for 7+ years (now I'm 20) and my GP just told me I'll grow out of when I'm 35. I just carry on though, prevention of spots is far more suitable than treating spots. I used to get some spots around my neck and shoulders, but lately it slowly going away. I don't think a GP will prescribe you on roaccutane straight away though, I've tried to get my GP to prescribe that to me but he was insistent that my spots was nowhere near severe enough for it., so I've been stuck on Lymecycline until further notice.

Wow, I've made quite the few posts here lol. I hope everything works out for you, I know how depressing spots can be. Best of luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.