Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aspiring A* students - late revisers? watch

(Original post by JRGC)
    I don't think its too late, no. My first exams are mid May, and I will start revising in Easter holidays. If I were to start now, I'd a) forget half of it, b) end up needing a holiday in Easter and so not working, and c) loose my mind.

Saying that, physics and maths don't require your typical 'sit down and learn these facts' sorta revision :/
    That is true, for Maths particuarly alot of emphasis is on mastering the methods. Statistics 1 and 2 notably make one error in the method, and the entire question is wrong...Core and Further Pure units there are alot of practice papers.

For Biology, it is indeed advisable to start asap...far too many facts to recall, and the Stretch and Challenge questions are indeed very unfamiliar situations.

Are you practicing exams under timed conditions to ease your exam nerves?

Start revising now. If it isn't too late you win. If it is, you will get better results than you otherwise would have and you win.

If you're one of those really annoying people who only needs to read over material once and then will remember it all then no, it's not too late. But if you're like me who has to read everything a million times, using different colours and like a million diagrams, then yes you probably have left it for a little too long!

I'm looking to get an A* in English Literature this year. But what do you revise for English? I've never been very good at revising but I've always got good grades, I got 100% in my English exam last year with not very much revising. I think it all depends on your subject though, for English you just need to remember a few quotes and make sure you have your ideas on the text in order. There's not much else you can really do to prepare, in my opinion. I salute all of those who are studying maths/sciences etc. though! I could never remember THAT much.

It's really subject dependent too.

you got a B
    you have no hope

I'm doing:
    English literature - should be fine I think. Just need loads of essay practice.

Geography - soooo much content. It's more or a less a science. Essays too

Economics - hm, not sure about this.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.