Turn on thread page Beta

Is TSR representative of the cleverest of the student population? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether, for example the Imperial Applicants on TSR were representative of the average applicants, the weaker applicants (which I doubt), or the exceptional applicants, generally speaking?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any way we can know that for sure...

ReputationRep:
    I would like to think so.

However, there's no 100% proof of the academic achievements being real.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's definitely above average. If you look at results such as the UKCAT, the majority of people on here have above, or significantly above average results.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully not.

ReputationRep:
    Ha.

ReputationRep:
    Yer I'd say most people on here are of above average intelligence; just look at the amount of medicine/ oxbridge/ imperial and what not threads...

ReputationRep:
    I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    TSR is largely (not exclusively mind) representative of the sadest* members of the student population, it just so happens that there is a high correlation with studious/antisocial types (wouldn't necessarily say smart) as these tend to be the ones hauled up indoors, in-front of a computer screen :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Just take a quick look in the Health and Relationships forum and you'll see TSR is not representative of the intelligent people of the student population. If it is... may God help us all.

ReputationRep:
    I think it represents some of the strongest applicants for University in the student population.

Cleverest? It would depend how you measure how intellectual someone is, I don't think passing some exams is a great reflection of that.

ReputationRep:
    Ma
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    I'd say it's definitely above average. If you look at results such as the UKCAT, the majority of people on here have above, or significantly above average results.
    Maybe the ones with average or below average results don't post as they feel inferior or think it doesn't seem good enough for TSR so therefore it is not representative?

ReputationRep:
    I used to think so. Now I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    @mellie
    ^Well said ,nothing more to add.

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    TSR is largely (not exclusively mind) representative of the sadest* members of the student population, it just so happens that there is a high correlation with studious/antisocial types (wouldn't necessarily say smart) as these tend to be the ones hauled up indoors, in-front of a computer screen :cool:
    If this is what you think then I feel sorry for you.:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Hurrr penus :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    Ma

Maybe the ones with average or below average results don't post as they feel inferior or think it doesn't seem good enough for TSR so therefore it is not representative?
    True, but if I had to make a choice I would say it represents the higher achievers more than it does others.

(Original post by dknt)
    Just take a quick look in the Health and Relationships forum and you'll see TSR is not representative of the intelligent people of the student population. If it is... may God help us all.
    :rofl:

It depends, I would say the average intellect is higher (considering the ages of people on here), but there are people who are exceptional and not so exceptional.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we could find out? Do a mass study, compare average GCSE, A-Level and degree grading across the site and then compare the averages to the national average?

might work?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.