Turn on thread page Beta

Is TSR representative of the cleverest of the student population? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    I think it represents some of the strongest applicants for University in the student population.

Cleverest? It would depend how you measure how intellectual someone is, I don't think passing some exams is a great reflection of that.
    What would you define as a good measure of intellect, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    If so, God help us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :rofl:

It depends, I would say the average intellect is higher (considering the ages of people on here), but there are people who are exceptional and not so exceptional.
    You said my academics were pathetic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunnicare)
    If this is what you thik then I feel sorry for you.:mmm:
    No, you're quite right, we're all #Winning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anil10100)
    What would you define as a good measure of intellect, just out of interest?
    I would say if someone managed to get a decent degree they'd prove themselves as smart (depending what the degree is in) because of the vast amount of skills you have to learn.
    On top of that, I think a good way to measure it is the ability to apply logic to situations, problem solving, the ability to actually back your own argument up etc.

It's hard to explain but intelligence is certainly not measured by GCSEs and A-Levels simply because they're taught in a 'parrot fashion'. Unless someone is very forgetful or actually not very smart (or obviously has circumstances which hinder their performance) anyone has the ability to get an A so long they are taught correctly and are focused on studying.

ReputationRep:
    The most popular threads include things like "Vagina size as opposed to penis size" "Internet dating and how to crush a womens ego" and "in bed with this girl..."

If this is representative of the cleverest students then I dread to think what the rest are like.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, only of the most arrogant, ignorant and socially inept.

Generally people here achieve more academically than the average student but this is a very different thing.

ReputationRep:
    Simply put, no.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on how you define 'clever'.....

ReputationRep:
    H&R thread is in a different league of intelligence so we can't compare TSR to overall student community.

ReputationRep:
    Good grades != Intelligence

ReputationRep:
    Surely TSR is gonna have mostly weaker students, since a large portion of members initially sign up because they come here looking for academic help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caprisun!)
    Good grades != Intelligence
    "Good grades are factorial equal to Intelligence"? What does that mean? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Surely TSR is gonna have mostly weaker students, since a large portion of members initially sign up because they come here looking for academic help?
    But surely just the fact that we bothered to sign up to get help proves that we are hardworking and determined to put right things we got wrong? Academics aren't a sign of cleverness, more a sign of how hard someone is willing to work. By going to the effort of getting help on the Internet rather than just accept we are wrong, we are more hardworking and therefore have achieved more academically than the average student? That's not to say we are clever, just more willing to work and better ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    "Good grades are factorial equal to Intelligence"? What does that mean? :dontknow:
    buh buh...

My teacher told me it meant 'is not equal to'. Was she wrong?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by S129439)
    Maybe we could find out? Do a mass study, compare average GCSE, A-Level and degree grading across the site and then compare the averages to the national average?

might work?
    No idea why someone negged this post ^ .

Anyway - i think we can be relatively certain the average grades are above the national average - almost half the country get less than 5Cs at GCSE when most TSR users claim to have have straight As. The question was regarding university applicants though, which is of course different. The comparison would be between TSR applicants and average applicants of that specific university. This would be virtually impossible to tell.

Whilst its difficult to use claimed grades on here, the best (and possibly only) use i've seen is the medical applications thread, which shows applications from TSR members. It shows what factors are important in getting offers, although still would not provide any kind of reliable indication of success rates on the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
    But surely just the fact that we bothered to sign up to get help proves that we are hardworking and determined to put right things we got wrong? Academics aren't a sign of cleverness, more a sign of how hard someone is willing to work. By going to the effort of getting help on the Internet rather than just accept we are wrong, we are more hardworking and therefore have achieved more academically than the average student? That's not to say we are clever, just more willing to work and better ourselves.
    Well you've said yourself that academics aren't a sign of intellect, so why would being a keeno be either?

I wasn't stating it as my opinion anyway, more playing devil's advocate to counter the argument from most that the people on this site are hardworking, and thus must be more intelligent. Mainly because personally, I think just about passing an exam with no effort/revision shows far more intellect than revising until one can get 100%.

But in the context of TSR, I think that the H&R forum pulls the most people in.

ReputationRep:
    TSR is a board based about academia. Thus, it primarily attracts students who are keen on their studies and have good grades. So I'd guess the typical TSR member will have a better scholastic profile than the average applicant.

But whether they are more clever is not the same question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caprisun!)
    buh buh...

My teacher told me it meant 'is not equal to'. Was she wrong?
    'Does not equal' is denoted by an 'equals' sign with a slash through it, commonly typed as '=/=', but in real life the two '='s are joined... if you see what I mean...

Edit: Upon a quick visit to Wikipedia, I have found that '!=' is correct, but only within the confines of some ASCII-based programming languages.

ReputationRep:
    'Does not equal' is denoted by an 'equals' sign with a slash through it, commonly typed as '=/=', but in real life the two '='s are joined... if you see what I mean...
    It might do in maths but she was talking about programming at the time... Maybe it's different.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.