Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is TSR representative of the cleverest of the student population? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    'Does not equal' is denoted by an 'equals' sign with a slash through it, commonly typed as '=/=', but in real life the two '='s are joined... if you see what I mean...

Edit: Upon a quick visit to Wikipedia, I have found that '!=' is correct, but only within the confines of some ASCII-based programming languages.
    Well if wikipedia says it...

ReputationRep:
    I certainly hope not, most people here are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caprisun!)
    It might do in maths but she was talking about programming at the time... Maybe it's different.
    i added that into my post as an edit

but in this context the mathematically correct symbol should have been used :p:

ReputationRep:
    No, some people on here are pretenders and lie about their results and university offers to gain a status quo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caprisun!)
    Well if wikipedia says it...
    Then it is probably true.

The idea that Wikipedia is unreliable because it is written by anyone is a fallacy: all new articles and edits are reviewed by moderators within minutes, and checked against factual sources for authenticity. If they are not up to scratch, the edit is removed :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    No, some people on here are pretenders and lie about their results and university offers to gain a status quo.
    Yeah... I don't really go to Bangor... I only say that to make myself look good, because everyone knows that its like, the best uni in the UK...

/sarcasm

ReputationRep:

The idea that Wikipedia is unreliable because it is written by anyone is a fallacy: all news articles and edits are reviewed by moderators within minutes, and checked against factual sources for authenticity. If they are not up to scratch, the edit is removed :cool:
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think TSR as a whole is representative of the student population. As for specific universities, it's hard to say. Possibly, possibly not.

ReputationRep:

The idea that Wikipedia is unreliable because it is written by anyone is a fallacy: all news articles and edits are reviewed by moderators within minutes, and checked against factual sources for authenticity. If they are not up to scratch, the edit is removed :cool:
    Rofl.
    No.. just no.

Some of the more 'important' articles are probably kept clean and correct.
    But you have got to be a very naive person to think things don't sneak through.

http://i.imgur.com/UaLpt.png
    http://i.imgur.com/5LbEx.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/jqRsS.jpg

Etc Etc Etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Rofl.
    No.. just no.

Some of the more 'important' articles are probably kept clean and correct.
    But you have got to be a very naive person to think things don't sneak through.

http://i.imgur.com/UaLpt.png
    http://i.imgur.com/5LbEx.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/jqRsS.jpg

Etc Etc Etc
    Meh, nobody's gonna cite the page about Will Smith for anything academic though.

Believe me, they watch all edits - I've done my fair share of page vandalism... mainly towards my school's rival's page. Always got reverted within a couple of minutes.

Also, if you look at the Mick Jagger page now, it has been corrected - hence why your examples are in screenshot form: who knows how quickly the articles were reverted? My bet is within 5 minutes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    No idea why someone negged this post ^ .

Anyway - i think we can be relatively certain the average grades are above the national average - almost half the country get less than 5Cs at GCSE when most TSR users claim to have have straight As. The question was regarding university applicants though, which is of course different. The comparison would be between TSR applicants and average applicants of that specific university. This would be virtually impossible to tell.

Whilst its difficult to use claimed grades on here, the best (and possibly only) use i've seen is the medical applications thread, which shows applications from TSR members. It shows what factors are important in getting offers, although still would not provide any kind of reliable indication of success rates on the site.
    True that.

In retrospect, GCSE success does not tell you much about raw intelligence, only how much of a s*** you gave at school lol.

To be honest, if GCSE results were on intelligence alone, very few would fail to get 5 A* - C.

ReputationRep:
    Academically? Possibly

In literally, ANY other sense of the word? No

ReputationRep:
    I'm clever if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I chuckled.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... I don't really go to Bangor... I only say that to make myself look good, because everyone knows that its like, the best uni in the UK...

/sarcasm
    Stop being pedantic. Douchebag.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being pedantic. Douchebag.

That wasn't pedanticism.

This is though ^.

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't pedanticism.

This is though ^.
    Stop making your vocab. Pedanticism does not exit. Epic fail!!

ReputationRep:
    Stop making your vocab. Pedanticism does not exit. Epic fail!!
    I know, but there is no actual word to express that sentiment. One could even argue that it should be a word.

I think the real issue here is that you shouldn't have accused me of being pedantic in the first place, since I was not being so.

ReputationRep:
    tsr is above average at passing exams, but exam-passing-skills are not the only thing you use to measure a man's worth

ReputationRep:
    I know, but there is no actual word to express that sentiment. One could even argue that it should be a word.

I think the real issue here is that you shouldn't have accused me of being pedantic in the first place, since I was not being so.
    Aww, :hugs:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.