Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having lived almost all over Merseyside in the past 5 to 10 years, I have noticed an unprecedented growth of hairdressing shops.

Now, today, in the town I live in, there are four hairdressing shops and two barbers, with another hairdressing shop soon to open, all within 1 minute or so walking distance of each other. Bizaarely these shops have hardly anyone in them, with the two barber shops seemingly getting the most people (i.e. young males). How do these shops stay open?

We have no clothes shops. We don't have a health shop. We have a butcher's shop but rumer has it that he will be closing. We have a number of take-away shops and chipys. In the past two months there has opened an expensive furniture shop, whom the police think is being proped up by drugs, and two podiatrists (foot experts).

Now venture two miles into the nearest town and you have the same situation almost. Just a lot of hairdressing shops and very little else. There are streets lined up with banks, solicitors and posh Italian style cafes, and then there are these hairdressing shops all over the place.

What is the situation like where you live?

ReputationRep:
    Most gents pay less than a tenner for a cut, whereas women really splash the cash on their hair, plus salons (womens) offer all sorts of other services (tanning etc), so a salon tends to have less customers. Perhaps people spend more money on their appearance during recessions, I don't know.

But your right, a hairdresser/beauty salon could easily launder money, if you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    How come you've moved this thread to here and give me a warning? I'm not really asking for advice, and that's why I posted the thread in "politics", because if felt it was about politics.

Stupid mods.

Mods, remove this thread and put it in its rightful place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rodion Raskolnikow)
    Most gents pay less than a tenner for a cut, whereas women really splash the cash on their hair, plus salons (womens) offer all sorts of other services (tanning etc), so a salon tends to have less customers. Perhaps people spend more money on their appearance during recessions, I don't know.

But your right, a hairdresser/beauty salon could easily launder money, if you think about it.
    Yeah. Thanks for your "advice"? :rolleyes:

(I know this thread makes no sense when it is in the wrong forum)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.