Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

January Results - my parents don't care :\ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    This happens to me a lot, I do get a well done but yeh. Asian parents for me aha.

Its like B?! B.. is that it..well done.
    god we have been there are done that. One time I heard my aunt say to my cousin, okay so you got an A* but how high of an A* did you get!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    My parents were like that with my GCSEs, they suck at giving praise :P I expect they are happy for you just don't really know how to express it

ReputationRep:
    textiles lol

ReputationRep:
    There comes a time in one's life, where, if you didn't work to gain your family's approval, then you wouldn't work at all.

I am completely lazy, I either work my arse off or do nothing at all, never in the middle. So when I do work hard I'm glad I have my parents around to encourage me to work and make something of myself, otherwise I would be stuck in life. At the same time, I'm not saying that I work for them, I'm just saying they contribute to me wanting to do well...

I'll shut up.

ReputationRep:
    I remember I got 98% in an exam once.
    My parents response: "Dissapointing" :cry2:

wth at the neg. :confused: This is a true story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzzz)
    "Here's some money"
    "**** you"

:confused:
    Meant not be grateful, lol. But my main point is you should be proud of yourself and just live with it

ReputationRep:
    My parent's have never shown interest in my grades but more in my attitude towards education, telling me to always do my best and the end result will be the deserved outcome for my hard work.

So I usually get positive reinforcement for that but never the grades. I got 100% in an A level exam, wasn't that big of deal but the fact that I would not give in until I knew everything I needed to, got me lots of chocolate

ReputationRep:
    Try getting AABb in A-Levels and your Dad not batting an eyelid at it. Then when we argue he tells me I have 2 A-Levels and not three, whilst not knowing which ones I did, even when he saw the certificates and has been told them many times... FML

OTOH, if they don't care that much, there's all the more reason to prove them wrong I suppose. But IMO they should take in interest even if you get a D or something.

ReputationRep:
    That's because it's textiles. How was the exam? Identify silk, from the following dresses?

ReputationRep:
    You should get good grades for yourself not them. Recognition shouldn't matter to you, nor should a lack of it affect your motivation :/

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever congratulate them when they do a goob job at work?

ReputationRep:
    Iv had a few firsts in uni, not so much as a batted eyelid.

Do it for yourself, not your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beamuse)
    Totallt dont wanna seem like some pathetic whiny child or something, but I got my AS result for a Jan exam - high A in Textiles.
    Pretty good right?
    But after being ecstatic with me over great GCSE results, I came home, told my family, and nobody really seemed to give a ****. Not like I want patting on the head every five seconds, but some recognition for me working my ass off would be nice.
    Just wanted to know whether you guys thought this was out of line?
    And also, what should I do about it, like, talk to my parents? How?
    erm, parents would be extremely proud if their child got As in Physics, Art, Biology or maths.... but Textiles?

its only AS levels, A2 Levels is far more important, at least you are extremely happy about your results as thats the only thing that matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    erm, parents would be extremely proud if their child got As in Physics, Art, Biology or maths.... but Textiles?

its only AS levels, A2 Levels is far more important, at least you are extremely happy about your results as thats the only thing that matters.
    I wouldn't say Art was that much above Textiles...

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately many parents don't understand how hard A Levels really are, because they haven't been through them themselves. This happened to me aswell, with my parents being a lot more proud at GCSE level and all I could put it down to was that I'm not a kid anymore. I don't get as much praise as I used to. But it's cool, this is your achievement and you should definitely be proud of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyMonger)
    I wouldn't say Art was that much above Textiles...
    art branches out in several careers such as Artists, Set designer, Art director, CGI and many more.. many are great careers

textiles only leads to fashion... and end up like gok wan *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)

You sit through a year of learning a million different manufacturing and production processes, health and safety procedures, risk assessments, and pair that with learning to draw the fit of clothing to a body PERFECTLY, ICT problems, choosing the right material and then having to test it in every different scenario imaginable. Then make a ball gown with a corset bodice which has to be adapted to fit precise body measurements, in under 4 weeks.

While revising for Philosophy, History and English.

Heads up, it's not just sewing love.

ReputationRep:
    You sit through a year of learning a million different manufacturing and production processes, health and safety procedures, risk assessments, and pair that with learning to draw the fit of clothing to a body PERFECTLY, ICT problems, choosing the right material and then having to test it in every different scenario imaginable. Then make a ball gown with a corset bodice which has to be adapted to fit precise body measurements, in under 4 weeks.

While revising for Philosophy, History and English.

Heads up, it's not just sewing love.
    i thought it was just sewing, i admit i was wrong about that!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, no worries. You can probably tell I get that a lot, hence the snapping.

ReputationRep:
    Totallt dont wanna seem like some pathetic whiny child or something, but I got my AS result for a Jan exam - high A in Textiles.
    Pretty good right?
    But after being ecstatic with me over great GCSE results, I came home, told my family, and nobody really seemed to give a ****. Not like I want patting on the head every five seconds, but some recognition for me working my ass off would be nice.
    Just wanted to know whether you guys thought this was out of line?
    And also, what should I do about it, like, talk to my parents? How?
    You're happy and future unis will be happy. That's what is important.Chin up and think of how lucky you are!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.