Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to find a month's temporary work between exams & graduation? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth me trying to get any employment for about a month till i graduate to pay off my overdraft. I'll be owing -£600 and really need the money. Will there be employers looking to hire for such a short amount of time?

ReputationRep:
    Given the fact that they'll spend money on training you, most likely not. Unless you happen to not disclose your situation and then leave but I wouldn't go down that route unless you really need to.

There's also temping agencies, probably your best shot unless someone else has something more useful! Good luck! Been there, done that with the whole 'oh I'm graduating soon and don't have a job' thing it's tough!

ReputationRep:
    Language schools possibly, if there's one near you that takes summer students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElfManiac)
    Language schools possibly, if there's one near you that takes summer students?
    Would that not require some training so you wouldn't be able to do it for just a month? I presume you're suggesting teaching rather than being a student there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's a point although it depends on the school. They may also have staff for activities and trips, which you wouldn't need training for beyond 'Don't lose anyone'.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's a point although it depends on the school. They may also have staff for activities and trips, which you wouldn't need training for beyond 'Don't lose anyone'.
    yeah I see what you mean

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well training really depends on the school. I interviewed for EF today and they mentioned that there would be a few days of training. They're recruiting now, so if the OP is interested they should look on the website asap. They need the majority of their staff for their busiest period during 3 weeks of July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    Hmm, well training really depends on the school. I interviewed for EF today and they mentioned that there would be a few days of training. They're recruiting now, so if the OP is interested they should look on the website asap. They need the majority of their staff for their busiest period during 3 weeks of July.
    Ahh EF! I worked there last summer and have reapplied for this one too. The hours are crazy but it's fun if the weather's good (Day trip to Brighton? Paid? Train ticket included? Yes please!) and the pay isn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh EF! I worked there last summer and have reapplied for this one too. The hours are crazy but it's fun if the weather's good (Day trip to Brighton? Paid? Train ticket included? Yes please!) and the pay isn't too bad.
    Oh awesome, someone who's actually done it!! It sounds too good (despite the hours) that I keep thinking there must be a catch?? The money seems decent enough, which is usually the 'catch'....

If I get it I'll actually be doing it IN Brighton which is pretty great - apparently they rent out some of the clubs for their weekly 'discos' as well as the Concorde 2 sometimes?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    Oh awesome, someone who's actually done it!! It sounds too good (despite the hours) that I keep thinking there must be a catch?? The money seems decent enough, which is usually the 'catch'....

If I get it I'll actually be doing it IN Brighton which is pretty great - apparently they rent out some of the clubs for their weekly 'discos' as well as the Concorde 2 sometimes?!
    The only catch is if something unexpected happens - like the Activity Organiser has forgotten to book the laserquest and you're in the laserquest centre with thirty students, attempting to sort it out and keep the students from wandering off at the same time...but most of the time it's good fun!
    I was at Eastbourne last year but I'm not sure whether I'm there or on residential in Southampton this year.
    Even the group leaders from the visiting countries were asking why there are so many old people though haha.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Try signing up for an employment agency - they might have short-term data entry or admin type stuff covering people's holidays. It might be a bit "bitty" doing a few days here and a few days there but it doesn't require any training and the money isn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    The only catch is if something unexpected happens - like the Activity Organiser has forgotten to book the laserquest and you're in the laserquest centre with thirty students, attempting to sort it out and keep the students from wandering off at the same time...but most of the time it's good fun!
    I was at Eastbourne last year but I'm not sure whether I'm there or on residential in Southampton this year.
    Even the group leaders from the visiting countries were asking why there are so many old people though haha.
    Ah, did that happen to you often? It sounds like a really great way to spend a summer, i hope I hear back soon. Was a really casual group interview so I'm confused about what they were actually looking for, or whether all of us will just be hired cos they obviously need a lot of staff (they said 1,000 students arrive during 3 weeks in july..)

I always feel suddenely realllly young in Eastbourne, while when in Brighton I wonder why old people are there (that sounds bad, but Brighton to me is a very young and busy city so I don't get the appeal for older people shopping/older tourists)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.