Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a very difficult relationship with my line manager and I've started leaving at 8pm regardless of whether there is still work to be done. As a result, I'm pretty sure they will point me to the door sooner than later (which to be honest, and given my current situation, I really don't mind).

So I was wondering:

Will I need to give back my sign-on bonus?
    Will they need to pay me any compensation?
    Has anyone gonne through this?

ReputationRep:
    talk to them?

ReputationRep:
    We can't really answer those questions on your employers behalf can we?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guesisng you didn't make a mill or buy a lambo yet as you're concerned about your sign on bonus. Zweihander, you should pay close attention to this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to them? - "So guys, when you fire me..."

I guess there must be an "industry standard practice", hence why I was asking.
    And no, the 6k of sign-on doesn't afford you a lambo these days. Must have something to do with the pound losing ground against the Euro...

ReputationRep:
    If they fire, you keep the sign-on but if you quit then you will have to return a part of it. Also usually they will give you a month's salary in compensation and that's about it.

To give you any real advice, we need to know the reasons for the problem. Are you not enjoying/interested in the role, or are the expectations too high or maybe the manager is simply a prick ?

But to some extend I understand where you are coming from, as I personally know a few who have been through this situation. The best advice would be to maybe arrange a meeting with HR and see if you can work under a different team as this will give you a fresh start.

ReputationRep:
    Sign on return depends on what your contract says. Mine explicitly lays out details of how much I would pay back on a sliding scale within x months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzi Rox)
    If they fire, you keep the sign-on but if you quit then you will have to return a part of it. Also usually they will give you a month's salary in compensation and that's about it.

To give you any real advice, we need to know the reasons for the problem. Are you not enjoying/interested in the role, or are the expectations too high or maybe the manager is simply a prick ?

But to some extend I understand where you are coming from, as I personally know a few who have been through this situation. The best advice would be to maybe arrange a meeting with HR and see if you can work under a different team as this will give you a fresh start.
    Thanks Uzi Rox. That was really helpful.

The job is alright, but there is a bit of both of the other factors you mention.

I'm expected to work until late hours and on weekends while they know that I'm doing the CFA under the firm's requirements. Spoke to HR about this and they say the line manager makes the call and job is first. However, this will put me on a disadvantage to my colleagues who do get to study and will pass CFA.

My manager is also a bit of a prick, and him and another guy from the team are constantly making jokes about others or speaking among themselves in German.

ReputationRep:
    not that it really matters, but what type of jokes do they make about other people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    not that it really matters, but what type of jokes do they make about other people?
    jokes about your lame posting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    jokes about your lame posting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcS3MqHwS4

ReputationRep:
    Can you name the organisation(db?)/role? (pm if needed)

communication is always the answer here, unless you want out; talk to your colleagues, hr and boss

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your predicament. May I ask why you're in such a rush to complete your CFA exams? It still takes four years of relevant work experience to become a charterholder.

ReputationRep:
    Your managers are German you say?

In all honesty, you should be upfront when dealing with Germans, who swing their dicks about. Trust me, I know, because I am German myself. You need to show that you are a somebody, you have a personality and you're not afraid to voice your opinion. Germans will then treat you better, as we generally have respect for people who are not afraid to say what they think. If you cower in the corner and take it like a little *****, you will consequently be treated like a little *****. This might sound silly/ridiculous but Germans are blunt/simple. Try it, before you get fired anyway. Just my 2 cents.

On a possibly more serious note, you will know what is best for you. If you feel you're in the wrong place, you should probably leave. I wouldn't leave with being on my employer's bad side though, as it will probably harm you in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxp804)
    Your managers are German you say?

In all honesty, you should be upfront when dealing with Germans, who swing their dicks about. Trust me, I know, because I am German myself. You need to show that you are a somebody, you have a personality and you're not afraid to voice your opinion. Germans will then treat you better, as we generally have respect for people who are not afraid to say what they think. If you cower in the corner and take it like a little *****, you will consequently be treated like a little *****. This might sound silly/ridiculous but Germans are blunt/simple. Try it, before you get fired anyway. Just my 2 cents.

On a possibly more serious note, you will know what is best for you. If you feel you're in the wrong place, you should probably leave. I wouldn't leave with being on my employer's bad side though, as it will probably harm you in the future.
    I agree with this completely. If you let them, then Germans will dump everything on you....... this is quite normal...... but usually they are quite open and will accept your thoughts as long as they are justified. At least that is my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    I'm guesisng you didn't make a mill or buy a lambo yet as you're concerned about your sign on bonus. Zweihander, you should pay close attention to this thread.
    What makes you believe that?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.