Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    But the only pros of alcohol are that it is apparently "fun" and "relaxes" you - but in the end, it is bad for you anyway..
    You'll like this song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    because it is a chemical that makes you happy. and ultimately, being happy is good for you.

ok so, if you drink too much alcohol, it no longer makes you happy and instead it ****s **** up. but that does take a hell of a lot of alcohol, more than the vast majority of people will ever get close to consuming.
    Happy? More like it temporarily blinds you to the issues that need solving and is similar to religion (the opium of the people), no?

Alcohol, what a waste.

ReputationRep:
    I drink mainly because of the taste. Yet to find a drink I really can't stand apart from cheap cider. And its great socially to go to the pub and have a few drinks with mates.

ReputationRep:
    Happy? More like it temporarily blinds you to the issues that need solving and is similar to religion (the opium of the people), no?

Alcohol, what a waste.
    How old are you sovchan? Do you dismiss anything that makes you happy and improve the quality of your life? Like food? friends? sex? sport? music? coffee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    You'll like this song

A similar video could be made about an life with alcohol and the voice-over could be monotonic and robotic too :rolleyes:

Not drinking alcohol does NOT equal a boring person :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    How old are you sovchan? Do you dismiss anything that makes you happy and improve the quality of your life? Like food? friends? sex? sport? music? coffee?
    I am 18 - why? :curious:

I love sport (especially competitive), love my mates, love music...

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is fine, when taken in moderation. Absolute opposition to it is illogical and a bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    I am 18 - why? :curious:

I love sport (especially competitive), love my mates, love music...

just wondering. alcohol is great, you should give it a go in a controlled environment. its really fun, and will change your life for the better (99% certain).

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink too often and I don't go out to get drunk, but when I do I drink its because I like the taste of certain drinks. It does relax me, which is good because I end up being shy around people and it gives me a boost to get more involved with the group in conversation and stuff.

ReputationRep:

Alcohol, what a waste.
    It releases chemicals in the brain that make you feel good in the same way that your favourite food does. Not all of its enjoyment comes from it ability to dull pain/negative emotion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to try it - it seems like a drink that creates an illusion of "fun" and seems to temporarily lift problems... :beard:
    It doesn't create an illusion of fun, it just is fun. And you're speaking as if everyone who drinks is doing it to escape their problems. Simply not true.

Can you seriously tell me that the same fun that I have in competitive sports and hanging with mates will be the same as drinking alcohol?
    You also speak as if there is only one type of 'fun' to be had. Of course it's not the same. But different =/= not fun.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to try it - it seems like a drink that creates an illusion of "fun" and seems to temporarily lift problems... :beard:

no, average people drink to be sociable, alcoholics are the ones who usually drink to drown their sorrows, and one drink wont get you drunk?

What is the big taboo with alcohol, people who have never tried it dont understand, they just think 1 drink will get you off your head.

people dont just go out and drink to get off their heads, people drink with a meal or whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)
    I don't drink. It's partly because I don't want to make things harder on my liver since I've already got a minor genetic liver disorder, but it's mostly because I don't like the way it tastes and I don't see the appeal. I have fun without it anyway and the sorts of things I like doing with my friends aren't really connected to alcohol. I don't really like clubs that much and most of the ones where I live (at home) are pretty shabby and a bit dirty, so being sober in there is not nice; pubs are far more fun . It keeps my bank balance healthy and I don't have to suffer through hangovers :grin:. That being said I have no problem with people who drink as long as they don't cause problems for other people .
    this.
    and same, except I just don't drink it because it doesn't appeal to me.

ReputationRep:
    just wondering. alcohol is great, you should give it a go in a controlled environment. its really fun, and will change your life for the better (99% certain).
    But my life is already fine - I am more than happy, by no means shy, highly sociable etc - why would I need to add something that has the potential to muck everything up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    It releases chemicals in the brain that make you feel good in the same way that your favourite food does. Not all of its enjoyment comes from it ability to dull pain/negative emotion.
    So do drugs? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz7)
    this.
    and same, except I just don't drink it because it doesn't appeal to me.
    Do you find that some people don't understand when you say it really doesn't appeal to you? Most people I meet now don't really care one way or the other, but when I was younger and other people were starting to drink a lot of people found it strange that I didn't do it and tried to introduce me to it :o:.

ReputationRep:
    I have fun whilst doing competitive sports or hanging with mates, but alcohol seems to create an illusory "fun"..

Can you seriously tell me that the same fun that I have in competitive sports and hanging with mates will be the same as drinking alcohol?
    yeah drinking alcohol is the same f not much better, you cant have an opinion untill you try it, how can it cause and illusionary happiness? wow you really dont know much about the world and how it works

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is a drug.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is a drug.

ReputationRep:
    alcohol is classed a a drug you tard

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.