Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't like the taste of most common alcoholic drinks like beer and wine, and I'm not the sort of person who likes to be drunk just for the sake of it, so I prefer non-alcoholic beverages - and I'm sixteen although my parents have no problems with alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Those are internal drugs - part of my physiology and essence - to take them away would be to lose will, happiness, humanity etc etc - but why add more from external drugs?
    Erm, because it introduces more happiness? You don't have an essence btw. Tell me, what is better than happiness.

Tell me why external drugs are bad

ReputationRep:
    When I am happy and having fun on a holiday with friends or family, my judgement remains intact and functioning - can the same be said of alcohol?
    Well, aside from the fact that you didn't address anything I said, most people know when they've 'had enough', and can keep control of their judgement.

You cannot argue about alcohol when you've never tried it. You just don't make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    yes if your no completely off your head, you can have 2/3/4 drinks depending on the person and feel coompletely sober
    Could you have 2/3/4 drinks and still remember the night clearly, distinctly and well? Could you make a life-changing decision then too?

I don't go around feeling "free" and "unrestrained" and mouthing off or something - my vision and experience is also clear too...

Look, I am sure that one clearly has more judgement when having fun with friends and family than when one is drinking alcohol, no?
    maybe you should have tried having a drink before posting this thread LOL.
    you're going nowhere kiddo.
    may i also ask why you're putting all this stuff in quotation marks? do you know what quotation marks are for? stop trying to sound intelligent, for people like us with no judgement or self control, we can see riiiiight through you.

ReputationRep:
    But am I ingesting my family and friends? - clearly not. :laugh: They are indirectly influencing me - it is my chemicals, hormones, past experiences of them etc etc that are directly influencing me etc etc.
    Food, water? I trust you never eat anything for the taste and wholly endorse fervent masturbation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    To be honest, I don't like the taste of most common alcoholic drinks like beer and wine, and I'm not the sort of person who likes to be drunk just for the sake of it, so I prefer non-alcoholic beverages - and I'm sixteen although my parents have no problems with alcohol.
    I hated the taste of alcohol at your age. I just got wasted for the sake of it. It's cool that you don't.

It's a bit of an acquired taste. (An oft-repeated saying, but true nonetheless.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    Erm, because it introduces more happiness? You don't have an essence btw. Tell me, what is better than happiness.

Tell me why external drugs are bad
    I meant "essence" in a figurative manner, a matter of convenience if you will.

Happiness is great, but nothing to go crazy over. Many religious people too are happy with knowledge of God and His love - we could even say that the situation with this and alcohol is akin to a Matrix scenario, no?

External drugs are not bad, but they are not exactly good too. I could also ask you to tell me why external test is good?

Could you have 2/3/4 drinks and still remember the night clearly, distinctly and well? Could you make a life-changing decision then too?
    yes. i'm a lightweight and after 4 drinks i won't be rolling around on the floor puking.
    and i don't know about the rest of the guys at TSR but most of my life-changing decisions don't happen down at the pub and i'm mostly sober at an interview or a seminar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by losingtouch.)
    i don't drink anymore... i realised that i didn't know my limits and had too many nights of embarrassing myself either by crying or falling down the stairs in a club usually...
    Same. Had exactly the same problem,

Moderation and Alcohol don't mix with me, So i choose not to drink because i can't just have one or two drinks because i lose any self-control after the aforementioned.

Also worth mentioning on average i'd spend 30-50 quid on a night out, now that money is used to buy top quality food, meat, fruit, veg, I look alot healthier and feel it.

we could even say that the situation with this and alcohol is akin to a Matrix scenario, no?
    lolz, you don't understand the Matrix, yet you still brought it up, 10/10, this guy is classic!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fumblenuts91)
    Well, aside from the fact that you didn't address anything I said, most people know when they've 'had enough', and can keep control of their judgement.

You cannot argue about alcohol when you've never tried it. You just don't make any sense.
    When I was younger (much, much younger), I childishly came across a bottle of a drink of my father's (I am sure that it was stout or ale or something :dontknow: ) and I remember that it tasted horrible - so I have in fact tasted alcohol lol - But seriously, I have drank a little of red wine (that was mostly at Bar/Batmitzvahs anyway...

I don't miss that anyway - but I do not have a strong memory or experience of "alcohol" per se - so that is why I was enquiring of other people and their experiences and views.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know if I could make a life-changing decision when sober. You're very naive.

When I was younger (much, much younger), I childishly came across a bottle of a drink of my father's (I am sure that it was stout or ale or something :dontknow: ) and I remember that it tasted horrible - so I have in fact tasted alcohol lol - But seriously, I have drank a little of red wine (that was mostly at Bar/Batmitzvahs anyway...
    A couple of tastes doesn't mean you know anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick__s)
    maybe you should have tried having a drink before posting this thread LOL.
    you're going nowhere kiddo.
    may i also ask why you're putting all this stuff in quotation marks? do you know what quotation marks are for? stop trying to sound intelligent, for people like us with no judgement or self control, we can see riiiiight through you.
    "kiddo" - how old are you? :curious:

I am putting some things in quotation marks for emphasis and some to show that there is really something hidden beneath the word.

And, "trying to be intelligent" - I am typing very fast and trying to answer everybody - so, no "trying" there

ReputationRep:
    I meant "essence" in a figurative manner, a matter of convenience if you will.

Happiness is great, but nothing to go crazy over. Many religious people too are happy with knowledge of God and His love - we could even say that the situation with this and alcohol is akin to a Matrix scenario, no?

External drugs are not bad, but they are not exactly good too. I could also ask you to tell me why external test is good?
    You're still to tell me what is better than happiness; stop evading.

I don't see what relevance religion has to this, other than you dogmatizing,

Why external test is good? Wtf are you onabout

I'll tell you why external drugs can be good; happiness is the be all and end all- you will not be able to refute this, unless you have a card up your sleeve that trumps the firmest maxim of Utilitarianism.
    So. Happiness=Good
    Drugs for some people=Happiness
    Drugs for some people=Good.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I do.

I drink far too much.

For many reasons.

"kiddo" - how old are you? :curious:

I am putting some things in quotation marks for emphasis and some to show that there is really something hidden beneath the word.

And, "trying to be intelligent" - I am typing very fast and trying to answer everybody - so, no "trying" there
    i can tell

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to try it - it seems like a drink that creates an illusion of "fun" and seems to temporarily lift problems... :beard:
    i'm pretty sure it's a reality of fun
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, I drink.
    I usually start off drinking something where I can appreciate the taste, like a real ale or cider or something.
    Then I'll either stay on that or if it's a heavy night move onto just whatever I feel like.
    For example tonight I started on a pint of ale, then a vodka/cointreau/lemonade then went back to a friends house and had a triple vod and flat coke. And a single of some whisky I bought on the weekend too.

Doesn't sound like much now but seeing as I hadn't eaten a full meal all day it affected me quite a bit

ReputationRep:
    I drink alcohol as it helps me relax and become more talkative. A bit of Dutch courage can help you open up and speak your mind.
    Every so often I'll get so drunk that I do something embarrassing or have a bit of memory loss but that's part of the fun

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2011
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.