Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Alcohol. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Countless things damage you. It's the lamest ****ing argument. A single pint every so often won't do nearly as much damage (well, it just won't damage you unless it's ****ing poisoned) to your body as the crap the vast majority of the 'IT'S BAD FOR YOU!1112' brigade consume on a DAILY ****ING BASIS, or you know, all that lovely polluted air you're breathing, having casual sex, getting no real exercise (because you're all fat ****s and **** like slugs).

ReputationRep:
    Eating a McDonalds meal is more harmful than drinking a pint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Ummm...no.

Weed gives you psychosis, and is 4x more carcinogenic that cigarettes. And it's only ever good for chilling out with.
    Alcohol isn't good for you, but not to the same extent as weed (if used in moderation), it is easy to use it without being sucked into other intoxicants, and it's good for going out.
    :lolwut:

First of all alcohol causes psychosis aswell, and smoking weed is LESS carcinogenic than tobacco. That is COMMON SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE, and so is the knowledge that the idea that cannabis is a gateway drug theory is a MYTH.

That has already been proved and is old news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    In other words, "losing yourself", or like being hypnotized or not being in control - I hate all of that.

People know my personality - I have nothing to hide - why would I need alcohol to aid me in something that I have no need of? I want my frontal lobe to be performing highly at all times, not temporarily shut down by alcohol.

The picture I get of alcohol is losing oneself, not being in control - am I right? I hate that.
    :facepalm:

You have obviously never been drunk in your life and you don't know what you're talking about. Your picture of what being drunk is like is miles away from the truth.

If you think drinking 3-4 drinks will make you lose your memory and complete control of your body you obviously haven't experienced enough to have such an opinion on it. Doing that will maybe get you quite tipsy, over 10 drinks will get you hammered. If you are a girl it will take less.

You don't "lose yourself" with alcohol, it's not a dissociative drug. You have to drink A LOT to get to the stage you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)
    Do you find that some people don't understand when you say it really doesn't appeal to you? Most people I meet now don't really care one way or the other, but when I was younger and other people were starting to drink a lot of people found it strange that I didn't do it and tried to introduce me to it :o:.
    quite a lot of people still don't understand when I tell them. my mates know I don't drunk and understand it, yet they still try to get me to drink.. ha, but when I go out and others don't see me drinking, they ask and I tell them; resulting in a strange look.. haha
    I have as much of a good time, if not better, than those who drink anyway so.. yah

ReputationRep:
    I had to cut down on alcohol after I started regularly ending up in an emotional, messed up state with no recollection of what had upset me. I didn't like that.

Alcohol is all good.. but in moderation. Personally I actually enjoy being sober these days, still have fun and don't have to piece my night together in the morning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    I didn't mean it like that!I just meant it like drinking isn't the be all and end all
    The lady doth protest too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    The lady doth protest too much
    don't really understand what you're getting at whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    don't really understand what you're getting at whatever
    type that quote into google

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    type that quote into google
    I'm familiar with the quote just fail to see how it has any relevance here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz7)
    quite a lot of people still don't understand when I tell them. my mates know I don't drunk and understand it, yet they still try to get me to drink.. ha, but when I go out and others don't see me drinking, they ask and I tell them; resulting in a strange look.. haha
    I have as much of a good time, if not better, than those who drink anyway so.. yah
    Sounds familiar, except my friends gave up a while ago as they realised I'd do it in my own time if I wanted to . As long as everyone is having fun and happy then it doesn't really make a difference :grin:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)
    Sounds familiar, except my friends gave up a while ago as they realised I'd do it in my own time if I wanted to . As long as everyone is having fun and happy then it doesn't really make a difference :grin:.
    you couldn't have said it any better! (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    :facepalm:

You have obviously never been drunk in your life and you don't know what you're talking about. Your picture of what being drunk is like is miles away from the truth.

If you think drinking 3-4 drinks will make you lose your memory and complete control of your body you obviously haven't experienced enough to have such an opinion on it. Doing that will maybe get you quite tipsy, over 10 drinks will get you hammered. If you are a girl it will take less.

You don't "lose yourself" with alcohol, it's not a dissociative drug. You have to drink A LOT to get to the stage you're talking about.
    Thank goodness I have no experience in the matter. :rolleyes:

But, surely alcohol does make one "lose themselves" or to better render it, "loosen themselves" - after all, it relaxes you and tempers your judgement and loosens most "inhibitions"?

I am glad that I have no "experience" in "getting drunk" - you, funnily, say it as if it is a bad thing. Incidentally, I also have no experience in death... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz7)
    Yes, it is highly annoying. I used to go to parties, meets etc - they were fun before. Now, most, if not everybody drinks and it really is not "fun" anymore - loads of people make a fool of themselves and "joke" around - a plus in those situations is that the one who does not get drunk gets to look at how stupid people are and can look down on people making a fool of themselves and having no consciousness of their behaviour :rofl: - you can be the sober and serious one and they can be the ones ******* themselves :laugh:

Having said that, I (and you can believe this or not) used to be one of those who was at the centre of a number of parties cracking jokes and getting the laughs - shockingly, I was never drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness I have no experience in the matter. :rolleyes:

But, surely alcohol does make one "lose themselves" or to better render it, "loosen themselves" - after all, it relaxes you and tempers your judgement and loosens most "inhibitions"?

I am glad that I have no "experience" in "getting drunk" - you, funnily, say it as if it is a bad thing. Incidentally, I also have no experience in death... :rolleyes:
    You have no experience and also no idea what you're talking about. You assume to know what it is like and have come to a negative conclusion out of fear and ignorance.

It does not make one "lose themselves" like a ketamine high. It makes you lose your inhibitions and makes you more comfortable in your own skin, you are saying this is a bad thing? That's completely different from "losing yourself".

I'd suggest you try it for yourself before coming to bizarre conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    But the only pros of alcohol are that it is apparently "fun" and "relaxes" you - but in the end, it is bad for you anyway..
    What's the point in only doing things that are good for you?

Chocolate is bad for your teeth.
    Chips and curry make you put on weight.
    TVs and the Internet are bad for your eyes.
    Concerts are bad for your ears.

What kind of non-life would we have if we never did things that are bad for us?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna drink again.

Well, this month.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is highly annoying. I used to go to parties, meets etc - they were fun before. Now, most, if not everybody drinks and it really is not "fun" anymore - loads of people make a fool of themselves and "joke" around
    Wow, people actually having fun. Please loosen up.
    Are you really one of those uptight serious boring people with no sense of humour?

- a plus in those situations is that the one who does not get drunk gets to look at how stupid people are and can look down on people making a fool of themselves and having no consciousness of their behaviour :rofl: - you can be the sober and serious one and they can be the ones ******* themselves :laugh:
    Yes, I bet you feel so good about yourself being the outsider stood in the corner not joining in the fun, looking down on everyone else. Can't you see how pathetic that is? Stop being scared and just join in and be sociable.

You don't need to be so insecure about your dignity, especially if you are with friends, or anyone else for that matter. Why are you so scared of looking stupid? Alcohol will help you come out of the shell you are hiding in.

Having said that, I (and you can believe this or not) used to be one of those who was at the centre of a number of parties cracking jokes and getting the laughs - shockingly, I was never drunk.
    What happened? Why did you suddenly become the self-righteous prick looking down at everyone for enjoying themselves?

ReputationRep:
    There's a hint of inner sadness here.

P.S you should be glad there's someone here to tell you this, I doubt anyone is going to tell you what you need to hear in real life.

Your false idea that you are somehow better for not conforming and not taking alcohol is a lie, once you embrace it and realise it's not so bad, you will stop being the outsider not enjoying himself at parties.

If you disagree with me and think you should stick by with some flawed unnecessary principles, your choice, but as humans are sociable creatures you will only find happiness by conforming (to an extent) and being sociable with the rest of society. I'm sorry but that's the way it works.

ReputationRep:
    alcohol is good. nothing beats a night out with your best pals getting wrecked and meeting for a cafe in the morning with a host of funny stories. to me you sound a bit of a weirdo and need to constantly reassure yourself how much fun you are :L why did you even make this thread? go down the pub and have a pint or something jeez.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.