Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently in Year 12, I've just started thinking about Uni's and applying and I have some questions which I can't find the answer to anywhere.

I'm predicted 1 A* and 2.5 A's for my subjects at A Level, however at the moment, the course I want to take has a standard offer of BBB. Will the University find it strange I've picked them over another Uni (such as Oxbridge) and will I be at any increased chance of scholarships/getting an offer.

Also, are you allowed to place courses with higher offers than your first choice behind it?

Cheers

Hotshot 777

ReputationRep:
    how have you got your A level predictions before your AS results? :/
    but no i doubt they'd find it strange.. BBB is hardly a really low requirements. i'm hopefully going to get A's at AS but am applying to mainly BBB/ABB courses.
    you'd have a higher chance of a scholarship because the people applying won't have as good grades as people applying to oxbridge (in general.) but yeah, depends really. a lot of people who are very academic will apply to BBB/ABB uni's as a back-up though.

ReputationRep:
    BBB isn't that low a requirement, so i doubt they'd find it strange.

Many people will do this, whetehr it's because they find the university nicer, the area better, need to live at home, wanna stick with friends etc.

I was around 80 points above the offer i took, not as big as the gap on yours, but still.. i haven't regretted it

ReputationRep:
    Well we have our AS predictions as standard, and further chats with subject staff have confirmed that their unofficial predictions at the moment will be A*AA.

I'm just apprehensive about the fact that if my top choice turn me down at BBB, I'll be stuck with another BBB(or lower) course I don't want to be at, when I would rather have other higher offers as a second choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hotshot777)
    Well we have our AS predictions as standard, and further chats with subject staff have confirmed that their unofficial predictions at the moment will be A*AA.

I'm just apprehensive about the fact that if my top choice turn me down at BBB, I'll be stuck with another BBB(or lower) course I don't want to be at, when I would rather have other higher offers as a second choice!
    Then why not apply for the higher offer courses as well? you have several choices for a reason. You are under no obligation to pick the highest offer you get and the other Uni's can't tell who else you've applied to when they are giving you offers.

If it's a question about the higher offer unis having courses that are very different (eg one is History one is Maths) then you need to look more at what it is you really want to do at Uni. Even then it may be possile to balance the Personal statement to fit all your options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizB)
    Then why not apply for the higher offer courses as well? you have several choices for a reason. You are under no obligation to pick the highest offer you get and the other Uni's can't tell who else you've applied to when they are giving you offers.

If it's a question about the higher offer unis having courses that are very different (eg one is History one is Maths) then you need to look more at what it is you really want to do at Uni. Even then it may be possile to balance the Personal statement to fit all your options.
    cheeers for the help!

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.